Asphalt driveway Fact/Fiction | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Asphalt driveway Fact/Fiction

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
1. Replacing an old driveway soon. Once they put down the base do you need to wait 3-4 weeks before the asphalt goes down? Or is this a marketing strategy for companies to place a sign by your lawn and get neighbors to order jobs too?

2. Should you seal a driveway?

3. How long must we wait before running, dribbling, and shooting hoops?

Any Yarders in the business? City Paving & General are in my neighborhood often.

Reaction Score
Is concrete cheaper than asphalt?
Nope. If you go down that route, I paid about 8 grand for 1000 sq ft. I was quoted about 15 grand at one point. Like most home improvement stuff, just get a few quotes.

I went down the concrete route because it lasts longer and the curb appeal.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
this is as good a time as you will get for pricing on an asphalt driveway seeing as the cost of material is directly tied to to cost of oil. Most respectable outfits book up fast in the spring so get moving if you want to get on a schedule for this year and lock in a good price

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
The contractor I hired to put one in for me 12 years ago said not to seal it. He also said that in 10 years, it would crack "right here" and it did. Gigantic tulip tree on neighbors property, root reaches under my driveway to drink off my leaching field. he said that root will crack the driveway, but won't cause any serious problems in either of our lifetimes. So far, he was dead on.

Reaction Score
I speak about this because I have a difficult driveway with slope and a hill behind where water can run underneath. I’ve paved it 3 times and learned and paid big each time. First if you have a flat driveway without a lot of rocks and boulders in your soil you’ll get it done once and forget about it. You need a good base, but especially at the edges, where it should be as deep as the middle. if It’s a slope, dig it deep, take out the rocks , put in a 12 inch base And if drainage is needed spend the money and put it in.

The last time I had mine done they pulled a monster boulder out where only the tip was visible 12 inches down. Then based and compacted and left it for 8 weeks. That’s right, 8 weeks. These paving guys want to get done ASAP to get their money. Insist on waiting, but in easy ground situations it will be fine regardless. Fragale in Torrington did the best job for me and that was 4 years ago and so far so good. Told my wife that it was the last time I’m doing that driveway even if Mount Vesuvius erupts in it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The contractor I hired to put one in for me 12 years ago said not to seal it. He also said that in 10 years, it would crack "right here" and it did. Gigantic tulip tree on neighbors property, root reaches under my driveway to drink off my leaching field. he said that root will crack the driveway, but won't cause any serious problems in either of our lifetimes. So far, he was dead on.

That's when you dig a hole and amputate that root on your side of the property line.

Reaction Score
If I had to do it again, I would select a gravel driveway, pea stone size.

We're out in a very rural area so my drive is dirt/gravel (uphill with a curve to a plateau) and two things I don't love:

1) It gets rutted so now it's an annual fill exercise and I'm going to eventually lose the battle
2) I"m pretty good with the plow, but when it snows I'm still pushing stone onto the lawn

Reaction Score
I don't like snowblowing on gravel. And that too needs maintenance because it ruts, channels and gets depressions

This is correct - I should delete my post, but I'll just let it sit there so everyone can think, as I would, why didn't that moron just read the post above and like it. I deserve the ridicule.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
By FAR the best option - both aesthetically, environmentally, and economically. Crushed stones or shells are my favorite look.
My parking area in the back yard is all crushed trap rock -- 3/4". It needs another load every couple years. But drainage-wise, its the best option for me.

Reaction Score
I'm also gearing up to start collecting quotes to re-pave my driveway. The pavement is quite old and real beat up but unfortunately it's real long - around 600 feet with a large rectangular turn-around at the end. I live on a busy main road so I'm not really sure where I'm going to park when it's being re-done too. Really not looking forward to it.
Now is the time to do it. Oil prices are way down and that is a major part of asphalt cost.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom