Asleep at the switch! | The Boneyard

Asleep at the switch!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was reading a post by Desmond Conner on the Hartford Courant's website about the activities planned for Friday's game vs. Iowa St. and something occurred to me. I haven't heard a peep about the game or the activities on radio or TV. This 2,000,000th customer through the gates thing should have been advertised everywhere, daily, starting the day after the Fordham game. If you want to sell out the Rent you have to do a much better job getting the word out to the public. If I hadn't stumbled upon that post I never would have known that autographs would have been available from the National Champion basketball team or that the 2,ooo,oooth customer would get 4 seat back tickets to 2012 games, a personal tour of the Rent and a autographed football from Coach P. Somebody needs to wake up that marketing department. They are woefully asleep at the switch.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
ppl who are fans goto the uconn website. if were trying to build a fan base, we are trying to go after new ppl or after part time fans(single game ppl etc). some 1 should be in contact with the 100 newspapers local ct wise all the time, the tv stations radio and so on...seems like we just don't control our mk enough at times.

Reaction Score
Isn't the idea to get as wide a fan/interest base as possible? Why wouldn't you advertise these games and activities on radio and TV so that the general public at least knows that there is a game and what the activities are. People complained about no sellout for Coach P.'s first game yet I'll bet most folks in the state didn't even know when the game was or it's significance. Not everybody is going to the UConn website but that doesn't mean that UConn marketing can't do a better job getting to everybody. It's the same old tree falling in the woods thing. If there is a football game but the majority of CT residents haven't heard about it......

Reaction Score
It's probably a short term monetary decision. Not enough additional game day money will probably come in to recoup the cost of the advertising. It's a poor business model because in the long run we all know that investment would return in the form of long term fans and season ticket holders. Unfortunately whoever is controlling the purse strings is being pretty stingy.

Reaction Score
It's Edsall's fault. No wait....it's Hathaway's fault.

Come to think of it Lew Perkins should have spoken of this before he left. No wait...it's the guy controlling the man purse strings

Damn incompetent people.

Reaction Score
It's probably a short term monetary decision. Not enough additional game day money will probably come in to recoup the cost of the advertising. It's a poor business model because in the long run we all know that investment would return in the form of long term fans and season ticket holders. Unfortunately whoever is controlling the purse strings is being pretty stingy.

Man, I've been a finance guy for more years than would like to remember and spent a lot of time in Consumer Products companies and the one thing I saw repeatedly was "guys that know how to market, sure get a lot of bang for the buck". Since I never have come up with a good marketing idea, take it for what it is worth and just as a think for 2 seconds example:

How about on a lot of radio stations have "call in and tell us something you like about Uconn Football and we'll give you 2 free tickets, free parking and a $20 concession chit". Now how much would that cost. Let the radio personality judge the calls, have it run over several days, could be just 30 seconds at a time. Mention 2,000,000 fan. Mention boys team honored at half time. Have tailgate set up special for fans who win tickets and meet cheer leaders (oppps, spirit girls).

If I can come up with this lame suggestion, the AD group should be able to come up with something better and get it on. Lack of big spending, understand, lack of inventiveness I don't.

Reaction Score
Sure, publicity in the Courant and elsewhere would be a good idea, but at least this time they put it as a splash page on their site, unlike previous years where there was barely a mention anywhere on the homepage.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
According to Ticketmaster, first glance would show around 2000 tickets available

Reaction Score
My point is there is only 7 home games and each one should be marketed as an event, "THE PLACE TO BE", not just a game. gioff23 asked "Isn't it sold out?". IF.... it is then you should start hearing and seeing ads for the Western Mich. game, starting this Friday. Within a week or so there should be a buzz through out the state about the Big East home opener with details on what kind of extravaganza you can expect from that action packed, fun filled experience. I know you have to put a winner out there if you want to put fannies in the seats but it's the marketing department's responsibility to put on their Barnum & Bailey costume and sell this thing.

Reaction Score
I was reading a post by Desmond Conner on the Hartford Courant's website about the activities planned for Friday's game vs. Iowa St. and something occurred to me. I haven't heard a peep about the game or the activities on radio or TV. This 2,000,000th customer through the gates thing should have been advertised everywhere, daily, starting the day after the Fordham game. If you want to sell out the Rent you have to do a much better job getting the word out to the public. If I hadn't stumbled upon that post I never would have known that autographs would have been available from the National Champion basketball team or that the 2,ooo,oooth customer would get 4 seat back tickets to 2012 games, a personal tour of the Rent and a autographed football from Coach P. Somebody needs to wake up that marketing department. They are woefully asleep at the switch.
Jeff Jacobs is busy trashing the program at every opportunity. What more do you need?

Reaction Score
Does anyone still waste their time reading Jeff(the hater) Jacobs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom