Asking Boneyarders for a Favor | The Boneyard

Asking Boneyarders for a Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Geesh, my wife Cindy and I go out for a little walk and everything changes. The Boneyard's in a different place (not for the first time) and the Big East is in jeopardy (not for the first time either).

The "little walk" is a 5,000 mile, year long journey across the country, mainly along the American Discovery Trail, raising awareness for community involvement to address the issues of Housing, Health and Hunger. Community/civic involvement was at a low 13% in 1989 and is now just over 6%, as measured by the National Service Corporation. I trust I don't need to list some of the dismal Housing, Health and Hunger statistics. I speak mainly at Lions Clubs and colleges along the way, and collect "data" for some of the neat stuff communities are doing across the country.

I'm back in Connecticut for a few days to attend a wedding and teach a one day Elderhostel course. Now that I'm home briefly I'm joining the Boneyard (again, you can run but you can't hide) and would like to ask a few favors. I'm hoping the marvelous mods will leave this up near the top for a few days in order to garner those favors.

1. Can someone tape the UConn women's games this season for me? I'm a bit predisposed still for the next seven months. We finish our journey on May 24, 2012.

2. If you happen to be along our route, posted on the Hiking Humanitarian web site, please consider hosting us for an evening, particularly if there is a UConn game going on :) and/or there's a turn of bad weather :(. We will be in southern Indiana during the coldest part of the hike. Bruinball?

3. We lined up talks with Lions Clubs before the journey. Certain events encouraged us to start talking to colleges once we entered Colorado, with good results. The young seek to do things FOR people, volunteerism is doing well, but are not inclined to roll up their sleeves WITH people while putting community first. As a former college instructor I can tell that college students are really taking this message to heart, but we are lining up these college gigs on the fly, er, walk. If you have a college contact along our route I would appreciate you sharing that with me.

4. If you support what I'm doing, consider subscribing to my web site and sharing with others. My web site focuses on people we meet, as the message behind our message is to "Believe in Humanity." I also have a facebook fan page with photo albums that focus on scenery. Occasionally I'll put up a podcast about one of the inspiring communities or people we've come across.

You can email me regarding any of these "favors" at hiking.humanitarian@gmail.com. Oh, I'll be on Larry Rifkin's talk show soon.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk Sinclair, aka
The Hiking Humanitarian
Web Site: http://www.hikinghumanitarian.com
Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/hikinghumanitarian

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Thanks for the bump Biff, or is that a Biff bump? I see you've come a long way from renditions of "Where have all the flowers gone?" to doctoring video podcasts. What's next? I'd like to add that I write and sing about the issues I mentioned. In a down economy I am not making much money as a (struggling) writer and musician, but with this journey we are not spending much while using another venue to raise awareness. I did have to cash in a (very small) retirement account.

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Geesh, my wife Cindy and I go out for a little walk and everything changes. The Boneyard's in a different place (not for the first time) and the Big East is in jeopardy (not for the first time either).

The "little walk" is a 5,000 mile, year long journey across the country, mainly along the American Discovery Trail, raising awareness for community involvement to address the issues of Housing, Health and Hunger. Community/civic involvement was at a low 13% in 1989 and is now just over 6%, as measured by the National Service Corporation. I trust I don't need to list some of the dismal Housing, Health and Hunger statistics. I speak mainly at Lions Clubs and colleges along the way, and collect "data" for some of the neat stuff communities are doing across the country.

I'm back in Connecticut for a few days to attend a wedding and teach a one day Elderhostel course. Now that I'm home briefly I'm joining the Boneyard (again, you can run but you can't hide) and would like to ask a few favors. I'm hoping the marvelous mods will leave this up near the top for a few days in order to garner those favors.

1. Can someone tape the UConn women's games this season for me? I'm a bit predisposed still for the next seven months. We finish our journey on May 24, 2012.

2. If you happen to be along our route, posted on the Hiking Humanitarian web site, please consider hosting us for an evening, particularly if there is a UConn game going on :) and/or there's a turn of bad weather :(. We will be in southern Indiana during the coldest part of the hike. Bruinball?

3. We lined up talks with Lions Clubs before the journey. Certain events encouraged us to start talking to colleges once we entered Colorado, with good results. The young seek to do things FOR people, volunteerism is doing well, but are not inclined to roll up their sleeves WITH people while putting community first. As a former college instructor I can tell that college students are really taking this message to heart, but we are lining up these college gigs on the fly, er, walk. If you have a college contact along our route I would appreciate you sharing that with me.

4. If you support what I'm doing, consider subscribing to my web site and sharing with others. My web site focuses on people we meet, as the message behind our message is to "Believe in Humanity." I also have a facebook fan page with photo albums that focus on scenery. Occasionally I'll put up a podcast about one of the inspiring communities or people we've come across.

You can email me regarding any of these "favors" at hiking.humanitarian@gmail.com. Oh, I'll be on Larry Rifkin's talk show soon.

Thanks in advance,
Kirk Sinclair, aka
The Hiking Humanitarian
Web Site: http://www.hikinghumanitarian.com
Fan Page: http://www.facebook.com/hikinghumanitarian

Looking at the trail, it looks like you will be a ways away from our house. The northern part through Indiana shown on the map looks like it would be very close to our house. One thing I might suggest is on 2/7/12 you will be relatively close to Louisville (UConn at Lousiville for a 7 PM tip that night). Maybe we can get something together there.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
It looks like we're scheduled for Hanover, IN on the 7th. We have support that we meet about every 3-4 days. In other words, we have a means of meeting you at a spot if it's not too far away from there. It certainly would be exciting to join you for that, and to meet the Kelly Faris ambassador.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom