Asjha Jones promoted to assistant coach of Mystics | The Boneyard

Asjha Jones promoted to assistant coach of Mystics

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
"Asjha has been a big contributor to our success the past two seasons as a player development assistant. She is more than ready for this position as a full-time assistant coach,” said Thibault. “Her basketball accomplishments are unmatched in that she is the only person to have won an NCAA championship as a player, a WNBA championship as a player and coach, and an Olympic gold medal as a player. I know how professional she was and how hard she worked when she played for me in Connecticut and I am excited that she will be a part of the future growth of the Washington Mystics."

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Asjha played for Mike in Connecticut, as noted. She also played in Washington early in her career (as the #4 overall pick in 2002).

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Asjha was a special player. Quiet, but a warrior on the court. Really expanded her game over the years.

Side note - Tamika, Asjha and Swin have all retired, numerous years ago. The 4th member of that class, Sue, is still going strong. Kiersten sadly succumbed to injuries and never made much of an impact... IMHO, still the best class ever.

On edit - side-note - Sue Bird should have been ranked #1 coming out of HS, but at the time (IIRC - my recollection of the story) she chose NOT to play for Mike Flynn of the Philly Belles AAU team. He was in charge of one of the only rating services - Blue Star - so as punishment, he dropped her rating down to about 20.

I asked Geno about it when I met him during his recruitment of Charde, and he said that she was the best player in the class, and everyone else knew it.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Asjha was a special player. Quiet, but a warrior on the court. Really expanded her game over the years.

Side note - Tamika, Asjha and Swin have all retired, numerous years ago. The 4th member of that class, Sue, is still going strong. Kiersten sadly succumbed to injuries and never made much of an impact... IMHO, still the best class ever.
Completely agreed. She and Tamika both played much bigger than their actual size and were the muscle on the inside for the legendary 2002 team. And of course Swin was like an energizer bunny on turbo. I remember I used to bristle at how Nancy Lieberman would call Tamika, Asjha and Swin "the triplets," which I felt was a low-key diss. A really unique frontcourt class that was part of arguably the most dominant team in history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Asjha is going to take Marianne Stanley's spot as Asst. Coach, who just became the Indiana Fever's new HC!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm not sure Marianne deserves as much congrats for her new job as Asjha does.

While Asjha took a lot of heat from Rutgers fans, she actually was a well respected player and I'm glad she is having good success post career.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom