Ashlynn Shade Transferring from Noblesville HS to La Lumiere, Prep School In La Porte, Indiana | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ashlynn Shade Transferring from Noblesville HS to La Lumiere, Prep School In La Porte, Indiana

Reaction Score
Indiana has had several winners who played at Catholic or other Christian schools. I am pretty sure that anyone playing at a school in the Indiana association (IHSAA) is eligible. However those at certain private schools, such as ones that have postgrad players, are not eligible.
The award has been around since 1976. During that time, 3 players from private or parochial schools have been named Miss Basketball. During that same time frame, only 2 boys have been named Mr. Basketball in Indiana that attended a non public high school.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
The award has been around since 1976. During that time, 3 players from private or parochial schools have been named Miss Basketball. During that same time frame, only 2 boys have been named Mr. Basketball in Indiana that attended a non public high school.
The Indiana Mr. Basketball award is the oldest in the Country. It was first awarded to George Crowe of Franklin HS in 1939, 11 years prior to the next oldest which is California in 1950. Non-public high schools were not eligible for the IHSAA tournament or the award until the early 70's, if my memory serves me correctly.

Reaction Score
The Indiana Mr. Basketball award is the oldest in the Country. It was first awarded to George Crowe of Franklin HS in 1939, 11 years prior to the next oldest which is California in 1950. Non-public high schools were not eligible for the IHSAA tournament or the award until the early 70's, if my memory serves me correctly.
From the IHSAA -
FULL MEMBERSHIP
1904 | Limited to public high schools of the State.
1938 | Extended to any public high school in Indiana offering and maintaining three of four years of high school work.
1942 | open to all public, private, parochial, African-American and institutional high schools of the State offering and maintaining three or four years of high school work.

There is no connection to the IHSAA or the Mr and Miss Basketball awards. Those are awarded by the Indianapolis Star nespaper.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Probably the most famous Indiana “Mr. Basketball” was Milan’s Bobby Plump in 1954, the player and team that was memorialized in the movie Hoosiers.

Reaction Score
NICE article about Diamond DeShields sister, Denim, 5'5" at La Lumiere. She repeats senior year at
La Lumiere and then
gets a chance to play at UAB WBB. She led the LaLumiere Lakers to a 19 - 5 record. Go Lakers!
Go Ashlynn.
By the way, La Lumiere has about 250 student in grades 2 - 12. They play in the South
Shore Baskeball Conference. The school is Co-ed and is about 10 minutes from Lake Michigan.
Maybe Ashlynn will connect with some AAU or other team in the Chicago area to get the extra
baskeball explosure beyond that at the Lakers?? I saw the highlights of one La Lumiere game and
they were not , to my eye, very strong last year ( I did not final a team record ). There appears to be
only 5 schools in the conference. John Roberts, Chief Justice of the United States is an Alumnus
The school has a beautiful gym: Marsch Gym. a " pipeline" design. Check it out.
I meant " about 250 students from grades 9 - 12"!!! Sorry, my bad! The link
for the beautiful gym is to GOOGLE: " Historic Marsch Gymnasium, La Lumiere, La Porte " absolutely
stunning!

Reaction Score
Sometimes it's the quality of the coaching. A small private school can often have even weaker competition than a.public school ( often not as well of course ) but the private school can afford the top coaches. One of my kids played volleyball and was coached by Karch Kiraly in a private school. When several families in the school are billionaires it makes sure every team has a great coach. The difference between some top private schools and a region's public school system can be beyond imagination. I'm sure Ashlynn's parents appreciate all aspects of her new school. Ashlynn is a top achiever. She will benefit from this.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Sometimes it's the quality of the coaching. A small private school can often have even weaker competition than a.public school ( often not as well of course ) but the private school can afford the top coaches. One of my kids played volleyball and was coached by Karch Kiraly in a private school. When several families in the school are billionaires it makes sure every team has a great coach. The difference between some top private schools and a region's public school system can be beyond imagination. I'm sure Ashlynn's parents appreciate all aspects of her new school. Ashlynn is a top achiever. She will benefit from this.
In addition to the quality of coaching, there can also be a big difference in the quality of the facilities at a private vs public school. Specifically with regard to Ashlynn, who is one very strong young lady, the weight room and strength training program may have been another reason to transfer to a private school.

Reaction Score
It's a boarding school also. This should help prepare her for college life. She will still be nearby her parents to help the transition. A lot of kids get depressed when they go to college and leave the cocoon. This will help that transition as she's still local and can visit home and her parents can visit her. Ashlynn's going to a college far away from home and into a high pressure situation. This is a very smart move for her. I would bet she's very close to her parents.

Reaction Score
It's a boarding school also. This should help prepare her for college life. She will still be nearby her parents to help the transition. A lot of kids get depressed when they go to college and leave the cocoon. This will help that transition as she's still local and can visit home and her parents can visit her. Ashlynn's going to a college far away from home and into a high pressure situation. This is a very smart move for her. I would bet she's very close to her parents.
"Home" and " school" are approximately 147 miles apart, not too bad. Google report the driving
time being around two hours and thirty minutes. La Porte is almost due North of " home".

Reaction Score
Hello! It's been a while. I was reading up on Ms. Shade's transfer and being from Indiana, I wish her the best, but I hate the move. She will NOT be Ms. Basketball, which she would deserve if she had her normally productive year next season - "Award based on senior season "only".....but in reality other circumstances come into play - see Kennitra Johnson vs. April McDivitt.

I looked up LaLumiere's schedule and I didn't know many of the teams they beat. One did stand out - South Bend Washington - probably the best team in the state at the end of last year but they were in 3A - Noblesville is 4A.
Next year SBW moves up to 4A due to being in the state finals in 3A the last two years. LaLu beat SBW by one in a controversial finish last season. That could have been a wonderful matchup to see who went to the State Finals for the northern half of Indiana, even though it would have seemed much more like the real state final game, and they were also slated to play earlier in the season on Nov 26th.

I love her game. She's a great athlete - not quite a Kelly Faris, but I do like the Doty reference. Her offensive skill set is phenomenal. As an Indiana HS basketball fan, I am sad she will not be playing the normal sate of games in my area that she normally would have, because I would have went to watch her play a few of them.

As far as her former school is concerned, the school resources should not be in question. The gym and weight room are very good for a high school and if you know Indiana gyms, they are sacred. Noblesville sits 4000 plus, LaLu has a very unique gym and maybe sits 500.
Noblesville
1661525181584.png

LaLu
1661525289446.png

I hope she's making the right choice. When I originally heard this, I though she was going to rescind her commitment to UConn. I just didn't see a reason to make that move - and I'm also realistic enough to know that I do need to or have to understand their decisions and the rationale behind it as I am sure they are doing what is best for her. The schedule her former team (Noblesville) plays is very good and she would have faced talented players regularly and had a chance to compete for another state title. I'm just disappointed I won't get to see as much of it.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Hello! It's been a while. I was reading up on Ms. Shade's transfer and being from Indiana, I wish her the best, but I hate the move. She will NOT be Ms. Basketball, which she would deserve if she had her normally productive year next season - "Award based on senior season "only".....but in reality other circumstances come into play - see Kennitra Johnson vs. April McDivitt.

I looked up LaLumiere's schedule and I didn't know many of the teams they beat. One did stand out - South Bend Washington - probably the best team in the state at the end of last year but they were in 3A - Noblesville is 4A.
Next year SBW moves up to 4A due to being in the state finals in 3A the last two years. LaLu beat SBW by one in a controversial finish last season. That could have been a wonderful matchup to see who went to the State Finals for the northern half of Indiana, even though it would have seemed much more like the real state final game, and they were also slated to play earlier in the season on Nov 26th.

I love her game. She's a great athlete - not quite a Kelly Faris, but I do like the Doty reference. Her offensive skill set is phenomenal. As an Indiana HS basketball fan, I am sad she will not be playing the normal sate of games in my area that she normally would have, because I would have went to watch her play a few of them.

As far as her former school is concerned, the school resources should not be in question. The gym and weight room are very good for a high school and if you know Indiana gyms, they are sacred. Noblesville sits 4000 plus, LaLu has a very unique gym and maybe sits 500.
Noblesville
View attachment 78615
LaLu
View attachment 78616

I hope she's making the right choice. When I originally heard this, I though she was going to rescind her commitment to UConn. I just didn't see a reason to make that move - and I'm also realistic enough to know that I do need to or have to understanered their decisions and the rationale behind it as I am sure they are doing what is best for her. The schedule her former team (Noblesville) plays is very good and she would have faced talented players regularly and had a chance to compete for another state title. I'm just disappointed I won't get to see as much of it.

• South Bend Washington, home of the Reynolds sisters, was playing some serious hoops last year. If the Reynolds are set to play LaLu again, that would be a trip worth taking on I-80.
  • Many of the Indiana High School followers on McGraw's Bench, like you, took pause when they saw the news. While LaLu has many familiar names on the boys' side (most recently, the youngest Mabrey), not so much on the girls' side Maybe this is a move to step the program up? And Noblesville plays a solid slate year-in, year-out.
  • Will just assume the Shade brain- and heart-trust are on to something they think is best.

Reaction Score
  • South Bend Washington, home of the Reynolds sisters, was playing some serious hoops last year. If the Reynolds are set to play LaLu again, that would be a trip worth taking on I-80.
  • Many of the Indiana High School followers on McGraw's Bench, like you, took pause when they saw the news. While LaLu has many familiar names on the boys' side (most recently, the youngest Mabrey), not so much on the girls' side Maybe this is a move to step the program up? And Noblesville plays a solid slate year-in, year-out.
  • Will just assume the Shade brain- and heart-trust are on to something they think is best.
Skylar Diggins played for South Bend Washington’s girls basketball team, IIRC.

Reaction Score

Noblesville
View attachment 78615
LaLu
View attachment 78616

I hope she's making the right choice. When I originally heard this, I though she was going to rescind her commitment to UConn. I just didn't see a reason to make that move - and I'm also realistic enough to know that I do need to or have to understand their decisions and the rationale behind it as I am sure they are doing what is best for her. The schedule her former team (Noblesville) plays is very good and she would have faced talented players regularly and had a chance to compete for another state title. I'm just disappointed I won't get to see as much of it.
What happened with Kennitra Johnson and April McDivitt?

Reaction Score
Both were phenomenal. Kennitra won the state championship, beating McDiviitts team and scoring 47 to do it. McDivitt was committed to Tennessee and had a stellar career of her own in HS, but the unbiased knew that KJ earned Ms. Basketball, she just didn't win it. If you asked anyone in those circles McDivitt had it won before the season started.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Skylar Diggins played for South Bend Washington’s girls basketball team, IIRC.

Yes she did.

And just before her, so did Jacqueline Batteast, who also went to Notre Dame and the pro's. In fact, two of ND's top scorers come from Washington H.S. in Sky and Jacqui. So far, the Reynolds girls have veered towards Maryland, but there's hope the youngest -- a forward/post -- might match up with the nearby Irish.

Reaction Score
Looks like it's scheduled a s Washington's last game of the regular season.....
Jan. 28
at​
LaPorte LaLumiere
12:30 pm​

Here's a link to Washington's schedule....http://scoreboard.homestead.com/girls/logsSouthBendWashington.htm#loaded

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom