Ashley Perez still going to St. John's? | The Boneyard

Ashley Perez still going to St. John's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Yes....according to Carl Adamec's column in Friday's JI. I can't find a link
to the story but it sounds like she was a bit apprehensive when Kim left but is very happy with the new coach.

imo: it seems to me that there should be a tweak in the regulations so that if the head coach of a school leaves for any reason and the kid has not even set foot on the campus as a student, the NCAA should allow her to transfer with zero penalties at all....whether the school approves or not.
If she/he wants to stay with the new coach...fine. If not....set her free. Should be the case for St. John's, UConn, LadyVol....whoever.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
This could open a Pandora's Box whereby coaches could take incoming recruits with them as a sort of 'package deal'. I suspect the logic behind the current rule is that a kid is committing to a school, not to a coach.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This could open a Pandora's Box whereby coaches could take incoming recruits with them as a sort of 'package deal'. I suspect the logic behind the current rule is that a kid is committing to a school, not to a coach.
Solution to that is a simple rule that the kid can go anywhere except where the former coach goes. Problem solved and fairer to all.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Solution to that is a simple rule that the kid can go anywhere except where the former coach goes. Problem solved and fairer to all.
I "liked: your answer, because it is fairer, but still not totally fair to the recruit who is still locked in ways the departing coach isn't. The reality, and the NCAA knows it, is that for most kids, they commit to the program run by a particular coach. There are some colleges that might command allegiance for an athlete regardless of who the coach is, but for elite athletes, rarely the case, I think.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I "liked: your answer, because it is fairer, but still not totally fair to the recruit who is still locked in ways the departing coach isn't. The reality, and the NCAA knows it, is that for most kids, they commit to the program run by a particular coach. There are some colleges that might command allegiance for an athlete regardless of who the coach is, but for elite athletes, rarely the case, I think.
I said fairer, not fairest. I do not think there is a perfect solution but what I suggest does not reward coaches if they can rob the henhouse they just left and it, also, means that a recruit is not stuck in a program or with penalties for leaving when the situation they were recruited under has significantly changed. Also, administratively, it is simple and clean and able to be managed with minimal effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom