As Wagner Approaches | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Wagner Approaches

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
The insanity really started with the close of the Navy game, which we should have won. We went on to beat UVA anyway, but imagine how different that team would be at 3-0 with a win over ranked Navy, heading into the Syracuse game, which we lost by a touchdown.
The Navy game is when he lost the team. And a lot of fans. I don't think they or I ever recovered.

Reaction Score
For me Diaco’s first crazy move was at Missouri driving late. Kick for the tie or go for it. We had them on their heels. But what does he do? Fake which everyone in the stadium on tv even the announcers saw coming. A win there is huge. A tough loss is ok. Giving the game away is a disaster. There is an old Irish saying that someone is too cute by half. Fit Diaco to a T. From his inability to select a starting qb to his fakes to his staff changes. He was always trying to be the smartest guy in the room. He wasn’t.

P was a different story. He know football but he was past his prime and didn’t get that kids aren’t the NFL.

Reaction Score
As to the original post I think we could start out 2-0. Where it goes from there I will have to wait and see. As for Diaco, I was at the Husky Walk before his first game against BYU and high five'd him as he went bye. What a wasted opportunity for that guy. He had quite a bit to work with and was not up to the task. That is on Warde and Susan. He scuttled the program.

Reaction Score
I’m feeling positive it can’t get any worse than last year I feel like we can at least win 4 games and if we win more it’s a win win. I feel like we got the pieces for something special this year. I’m a football fan I want the team to succeed no matter what I will see every down

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
No more Diaco talk. He was an energy vampire that just about killed this program. Just think if Benedict let him stay another season- it would have been even worse than it is now.

Reaction Score
Yes the Navy game. I actually had a lot of fun that day until the end. I was literally lined up with the end zone and was screaming at the stupidity unfolding in real time. Seldom if ever can I recall one of my sports teams unraveling in such a crazy fashion and it almost entirely be the result of inept coaching.

But in the present I agree with everyone here saying we need to put a beat down on Wagner for me to feel any optimism. Until then I am assuming we will only be marginally better. Edsall in his first go around usually thumped these type of teams and we rarely lost games we were supposed to win.

Reaction Score
After reading this gem from Illinois, I’m about to predict a 2-0 start by the Huskies this fall.

July 11, 2019
Know Your Illini Opponent----Week 2: UConn Huskies

UConn Athletics have been in the news this summer, probably as much as any other athletic program in the country. Unless you missed it, the Huskies are moving back to the Big East except it's a bunch of different teams, a basketball tournament nobody cares about, and no football. Other than that, UConn’s on track to be back baby!

Hopefully UConn keeps its football program up and running and doesn’t UAB-it-up before the 2020 matchup in Champaign. The good news is that Illinois has finally found a school you’ve actually heard of— that’s even worse than Illinois.

So what happened to the Huskies last year??????? I don’t think you want to know. You do? Ok, I’ll tell you. Gulp. The Huskies went 1-11. The one win was a 56-49 victory over FCS rival Rhode Island. You don’t want to know anything else about that game.

Bill Connelly’s preview says the Huskies can’t get any worse. They’ve hit bottom. That doesn’t mean it’ll get better though. Head coach Randy Edsall, now in his second tenure with UConn, had to hire new coordinators for this season because it was so bad last year.

On defense, the Huskies allowed over 50 points per game. That actually makes Illinois’ 2018 defense seem good as they allowed just under 40 an outing. Connelly says the Husky offense was their best of the decade but when you’re allowing that many points, it doesn’t matter.

So will it get better? Probably not.

According to 247Sports, the 2019 Huskies have the 126th best freshman class in the country! Their best croot is three-star CB Myles Bell from St. Thomas Aquinas. So don’t look for much of a freshman impact here. Especially at quarterback, where David Pindell was the best Husky under center in years, running for a single-season UConn record 1,100 yards. But Pindell graduated, and now new offensive coordinator Frank Giufre is left with 2 true freshmen, 1 redshirt freshman, 1 redshirt sophomore, and grad transfer Mike Beaudry.

Beaudry played his undergrad at the University of West (??????) Florida in Pensacola where he was the FIRST-EVER signing for the program that started playing in 2016. He didn’t play too much though. He redshirted in 2015, sat out 2016 with a leg injury, led the Argos to the national championship game in 2017 and then only played in one game last year. He’s West Florida’s late-blooming Mike Dudek.

So to recap, the 2018 offense was alright but the defense was historically bad. This year the defense won’t be better. As for the offense, the new QB is oft-injured and he’s backed up by a bunch of younglings. I don’t care what you say, this is a must-win.

Illinois kicks off with the Huskies 3:30pm Sept. 7 in East Hartford on CBS Sports Network.

Reaction Score
Agree it's a must win, for them. Not sure he stated any reason why the defense won't be better, he is probably wrong on that. His comments about the loss of QB stats with Pindell and who are up for replacement are spot on, problem is he didn't see UConn play and how important a QB who can actually pass was missed last year. Defenses only had to cover 10 yards down field and less than 3 seconds on pass plays; how did Mensah rush so well with that passing game is quite an accomplishment. Freshmen will not help much but transfers will; year olderness of lot of returning players will factor in also.

Beating them would be an upset, but not that big of one. Their next to last game last year was a 63-0 loss to Iowa! They had 3 games last year where they gave up 63 points.

Massey has them as less than 2 touchdown favorite (as example Indiana is a 27 point favorite the next week). A bit of a passing game, some 3rd down stops and a turnover or 2 and who knows.

Reaction Score
Yes the Navy game. I actually had a lot of fun that day until the end. I was literally lined up with the end zone and was screaming at the stupidity unfolding in real time. Seldom if ever can I recall one of my sports teams unraveling in such a crazy fashion and it almost entirely be the result of inept coaching.

But in the present I agree with everyone here saying we need to put a beat down on Wagner for me to feel any optimism. Until then I am assuming we will only be marginally better. Edsall in his first go around usually thumped these type of teams and we rarely lost games we were supposed to win.

I'll never forget how TV captured Diaco on the sidelines as the final seconds ticked off. The only person in the world who was confused why that playcalling didn't work.

Reaction Score
Agree it's a must win, for them. Not sure he stated any reason why the defense won't be better, he is probably wrong on that. His comments about the loss of QB stats with Pindell and who are up for replacement are spot on, problem is he didn't see UConn play and how important a QB who can actually pass was missed last year. Defenses only had to cover 10 yards down field and less than 3 seconds on pass plays; how did Mensah rush so well with that passing game is quite an accomplishment. Freshmen will not help much but transfers will; year olderness of lot of returning players will factor in also.

Beating them would be an upset, but not that big of one. Their next to last game last year was a 63-0 loss to Iowa! They had 3 games last year where they gave up 63 points.

Massey has them as less than 2 touchdown favorite (as example Indiana is a 27 point favorite the next week). A bit of a passing game, some 3rd down stops and a turnover or 2 and who knows.

To be honest, theres a lot of 1-2 possession games from what Massey has, turnover or two will help and some stops along the way and some luck to go our way for a change and we could definitely snag some wins.

Reaction Score
I actually think it is important for us to dominate Wagner in the opener the way Edsall teams used to dominate the 1aa opponents. 35-7 or something after 3 quarters with the backups playing the 4th quarter. Even the bad Edsall teams did that. Wagner is a notch below the CAA teams so it is really important that we do it.
I think we're up 3 or 4 touchdowns by halftime. UConn's offensive line will dominate. Even Central Connecticut put up 49 on Wagner last year.

Reaction Score
Probably the most impressive piece of coaching incompetence this century.
Another perfect example of a coach complaimng he didn't have the horses to compete but not doing a darn thing to improve himself as a coach.

Reaction Score
To be honest, theres a lot of 1-2 possession games from what Massey has, turnover or two will help and some stops along the way and some luck to go our way for a change and we could definitely snag some wins.
To be honest that’s how I feel. There are enough teams on this years schedule that with modest improvement on the defensive side and a few breaks wins are not out of the question. Wagner Illinois UMass Indiana. None are Clemson Alabama Notre Dame and Oklahoma by any means

Reaction Score
To be honest that’s how I feel. There are enough teams on this years schedule that with modest improvement on the defensive side and a few breaks wins are not out of the question. Wagner Illinois UMass Indiana. None are Clemson Alabama Notre Dame and Oklahoma by any means
Indiana is pretty tough at home

Reaction Score
Indiana is pretty tough at home
Maybe but I don’t think ECU, Navy or Tulane are unbeatable either. Not saying we will win 8 games just that there are opportunities to win games on this schedule.

Reaction Score
Wow is this ever on the money.

UConn Athletics have been in the news this summer, probably as much as any other athletic program in the country. Unless you missed it, the Huskies are moving back to the Big East except it's a bunch of different teams, a basketball tournament nobody cares about, and no football. Other than that, UConn’s on track to be back baby!

Reaction Score

Well Pal, if you are in agreement with the above statement how do you explain the Big East Tourney sell out?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

As opposed to Indiana's basketball tournament, which REALLY nobody cared about, except when they tried it, ironically, at MSG. ...and then everyone said "that was dumb"

Reaction Score

Sure MSG sells out but nobody outside the building even knows it’s happening. TV ratings for it are about comparable with the NEC finals.

Reaction Score
Sure MSG sells out but nobody outside the building even knows it’s happening. TV ratings for it are about comparable with the NEC finals.
Actually it was the worst ratings of the so called P6 and not even close. Also worse than the AAC and the MWC. 0.9 for the MWC 0.7 for the Big East. Over 2 for the other majors. I didn’t see the NEC ratings anywhere. I made that up but the actual results are pretty scary.

Reaction Score
Is it the teams or the network? Espn knew how to promote the rivalries in the old BE and don’t forget many of their on air talent went to Syracuse. FS1 is not as proactive in pumping up interest. Perhaps it’s one if the major ancillary benefits the BE and FOX was looking for with UConn. We not only fill the Garden, we talk about it incessantly on all platforms before it happens. Watch ratings go up if we make a strong run.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Is it the teams or the network? Espn knew how to promote the rivalries in the old BE and don’t forget many of their on air talent went to Syracuse. FS1 is not as proactive in pumping up interest. Perhaps it’s one if the major ancillary benefits the BE and FOX was looking for with UConn. We not only fill the Garden, we talk about it incessantly on all platforms before it happens. Watch ratings go up if we make a strong run.
A UConn MBB rebirth could really lift the FS1 platform. Really, it could. Same with WBB.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom