As UConn men, women arrive for AAC media day, here are some conference storylines | The Boneyard

As UConn men, women arrive for AAC media day, here are some conference storylines

Reaction Score
UConn basketball’s farewell tour of the American Athletic Conference begins Monday with media day, the annual chat fest for the league’s coaches.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The Courant thinks Squeaks will be the conference pre-season POY.

For FOY, Anna, Aubrey, or someone else?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Maybe after the they return from Conference Media Day, we can get some “team” story lines. Official practice began last Monday.

A report or two about the goings on in practice would be welcomed. We’re all curious about how the new players are doing, player health (injuries) and Geno’s assessment of the first five practice sessions and any players that may be standing out thus far.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The events will be streaming on the AAC Facebook page at 11:30 for women.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
With UConn leaving, the AAC will not longer care about the Northeast, not that they did anyway. Its now a southern/ mid westerner conference. Temple doesn't count as northeast.

Reaction Score
The Courant thinks Squeaks will be the conference pre-season POY.

For FOY, Anna, Aubrey, or someone else?
Alvarez from USF can really fill it up. If Westbrook is eligible, I think it may be Alvarez simply because I'm not sure Anna or Aubrey would get the stats to win it.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
It wouldn't surprise me if Kay Kay Wright of UCF gets some votes for preseason POY, if nothing else out of spite for the defectors.

Reaction Score
Coaches Roundtable discussing strength of schedules and at the 19 minute mark:

Q: Geno, why did you want to bring back the Tennessee rivalry?
Geno: (after pause) I didn't!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
looking at all the picks it looks like seniority was involved.
There's generally a seniority bias in awards, and it's especially acute in preseason awards.

I'm not too surprised they selected Crystal, but I am somewhat surprised that they put Megan on 1st team ahead of Christyn.

Reaction Score
There's generally a seniority bias in awards, and it's especially acute in preseason awards.

I'm not too surprised they selected Crystal, but I am somewhat surprised that they put Megan on 1st team ahead of Christyn.

Can you remember the preseason AA's from the last 2 years? Me neither. And I've yet to see a bio or resume mention "was pre-season all conference in 20xx"

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Can you remember the preseason AA's from the last 2 years? Me neither. And I've yet to see a bio or resume mention "was pre-season all conference in 20xx"
I still don’t get preseason “awards”. Is there a ceremony anywhere? I wish they’d say who voted for each player, then have a postseason award for the reporter who got it right and a dunking seat for the biggest doofus, where the real player of the year could throw basketballs to dunk him/her or just at his/her head, which is full of rocks anyway, so certainly won’t sustain any damage.

Reaction Score
I still don’t get preseason “awards”. Is there a ceremony anywhere? I wish they’d say who voted for each player, then have a postseason award for the reporter who got it right and a dunking seat for the biggest doofus, where the real player of the year could throw basketballs to dunk him/her or just at his/her head, which is full of rocks anyway, so certainly won’t sustain any damage.

LOL
I think that during the week between the E8 and FF ESPN should get their half dozen wcbb "analysts" together and look back at their preseason picks. Get some outsider to present awards for the top 10 worst predictions of the season. But it seems as if there is an unwritten rule in sports journalism that says that past comments are off-limits, (unless they were correct).

They could call it the "Eat Crow Show".

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Dangerfield spent the summer recovering from a late May hip surgery, and though she is back practicing, she is still experiencing some pain. Dangerfield says she is making sure to listen to her body and to not overdo it, but that she is on track to be good to go by the start of the season.

A final piece of the team’s puzzle, however, may not be resolved until right before game day: The program is still waiting to hear about the waiver status for Evina Westbrook, a transfer from Tennessee. While her eligibility is in question, she has also been working to come back from offseason knee surgery and has been limited in practice. As such, Auriemma is trying to incorporate her into practices enough so that she can be properly prepared if she’s deemed eligible, but not too much to the point where the team relies upon her presence in the rotation.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Coaches Roundtable discussing strength of schedules and at the 19 minute mark:

Q: Geno, why did you want to bring back the Tennessee rivalry?
Geno: (after pause) I didn't!

Thank you for posting this Java. I haven't looked at the video yet. I ALWAYS thought it WAS NOT his idea to resume the series with Tennessee because of statements he made years ago setting the parameters of resuming the series. It was reported here in the yard some years ago that Holly Warlick approached Geno and asked him about resuming the series. He asked her if she was prepared to offer an apology to Maya, her mother and the University for things that was said/implied and accusations made by Tennessee back in 2007, she said no, she couldn't do that.

Fast forward to 2018 - Regardless of what was reported, I always believed he was "coerced" into going along with the resumption and publicly giving it his blessing. I understand that some decisions of this magnitude are out of a coach's hands. Obviously this is one of them.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
LOL
I think that during the week between the E8 and FF ESPN should get their half dozen wcbb "analysts" together and look back at their preseason picks. Get some outsider to present awards for the top 10 worst predictions of the season. But it seems as if there is an unwritten rule in sports journalism that says that past comments are off-limits, (unless they were correct).

They could call it the "Eat Crow Show".

Yeah, and I think I could host it since I've had to eat my share lately with some "misguided" observations and predictions, like the Mystics in 3. :eek:

Reaction Score
Yeah, and I think I could host it since I've had to eat my share lately with some "misguided" observations and predictions, like the Mystics in 3. :eek:

Maybe, but they are "professionals".

Reaction Score
One of the biggest "conference storyline"s imho is whether UConn can complete an unprecedented run of perfection. This is the American's 7th season, and UConn is 102-0 so far. Can it get to 118-0?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom