As things slow down here, a little more smoke of Rutgers to Big 12 with Louisville | The Boneyard

As things slow down here, a little more smoke of Rutgers to Big 12 with Louisville

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On twitter. From Greg Swaim.

Before you smack your face with the palm of your hand, keep in mind that Swaim is close to OU and Okie State sources. OU and Rutgers have most definitely held discussions (c.f., Rutgers/Oklahoma emails).

Rutgers is on track to becoming another financial Maryland. It needs revenue now. The Newark Star Ledge just did an expose on Rutgers football. Did you know that 40% of all fans attending Rutgers home games are attending using free tickets?

http://twitter.com/gswaimv

JustinKeith15: So other than Louisville who do You See as #12 ?
GSwaim" // Either Bearcats or Rutgers

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone would want Cincinnati. I believe I read the other day that they averaged 26k at Nippert this year. Other than relative geography and they are available they don't look too attractive to me.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is in Ohio. Many TV's and FBS football recruits in Ohio. Cincy has also shown they can get a big crowd to Paul Brown stadium for a marquee opponent. They may want to play on campus, but they would give that up for a better situation and, oh yeah, $$$.

The same applies to Snooki, but to a lesser extent.

Reaction Score
I don't see why anyone would want Cincinnati. I believe I read the other day that they averaged 26k at Nippert this year. Other than relative geography and they are available they don't look too attractive to me.

They also have the lowest budget for athletics of any Big East team. I'm not sure why fans didn't turn out well this year. You do have to factor in two games at PBS which were probably the two biggest games of the year versus Louisville and WVU. They averaged just under 40k for all the games this year with those two factored in. But Cincinnati is going to probably hide back among the depths of CUSA.

Reaction Score
In a way I hope both Rutgers and Louisville go to the Bid 12 and that gives us a much better chance that we get an invitation from the ACC without worrying that some ACC teams lobby for Rutgers over us. In another way it could be disastrous if they go and we are left without an ACC offer. We would have to stay in a very watered down and weirdly structured Big East or go independent.

I am not sure about the rest of you but I am getting sick of all this movement and uncertainty. I cant believe with the programs we have that someone does not grab us into there stable conference. As I get older ( early 50's) stability has become very important to me.

Reaction Score
If Rutgers and Louisville go I hope we just add Memphis and Temple and try to keep the Big East football league alive. It would still be a heck of alot better than joining CUSA. I have to believe all of the new schools have asked this question and were given an answer that they liked.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Swaim has predicted us to the ACC on more than one occasion. He is just trying to get attention with his endless predictions.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
If Rutgers and Louisville go I hope we just add Memphis and Temple and try to keep the Big East football league alive. It would still be a heck of alot better than joining CUSA. I have to believe all of the new schools have asked this question and were given an answer that they liked.
At that point, the BE would be CUSA.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
He has been one of the unofficial mouth pieces for the B12 in whatever direction they hope to be going. And that direction isn't entirely clear from my perspective. I'm not sure it is clear for them either. The B12 has the luxury of the time period before the next BE contract to make their moves. I expect them to make further attempts at trying to break up the BE only for the purpose of getting to ten teams next season.

Of course that won't happen, but they are low enough to destroy any remaining semblance of the BE conference in testing the BE's resolve. It stinks the BE can't begin negotiations until next November.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Louisville is #12 and that's always been the problem. There is no suitable #11 without BYU or an ACC raid.

With WVU on board there are some ACC options to explore to go with Louisville.

I don't think the SEC is done and the ACC is in prevent mode. By 2015 conferences will try to reopen contracts. The B12 might want some teams on the table for their negotiations. I'm sure they have a short list that reads something like ND, BYU, FSU, VTech before Cincy or Rutgers or Maryland or BC or Wake Forest :). If Rutgers comes up I'm sure it's due diligence. The facts speak for themselves

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Cincinnati is in Ohio. Many TV's and FBS football recruits in Ohio. Cincy has also shown they can get a big crowd to Paul Brown stadium for a marquee opponent. They may want to play on campus, but they would give that up for a better situation and, oh yeah, $$$.

The same applies to Snooki, but to a lesser extent.

Um.... anyone can draw a crowd off campus to see Oklahoma. It's what you draw when it's up to you to draw the fans that matters.

Is the argument that the Big XII schools want Cincinnati in the conference so they can recruit Ohio? They are going to beat Ohio State and Michigan to players because they are in conference with Cincinnati?

Televisions in Ohio? They didn't change the station when Cinci was a play from the BCS title game, they certainly aren't going to change for Baylor and Iowa State.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They also have the lowest budget for athletics of any Big East team. I'm not sure why fans didn't turn out well this year. You do have to factor in two games at PBS which were probably the two biggest games of the year versus Louisville and WVU. They averaged just under 40k for all the games this year with those two factored in. But Cincinnati is going to probably hide back among the depths of CUSA.

You might be right, but I'd like to see the actual attendance at PBS. If they averaged 26k on campus for 4 games they would need to average 68k in those two games to get to 40k.

Reaction Score

I agree with you. The Big East would never be CUSA because its about the sum of all the parts and not the parts and the Big East at worst will end up being the best of the MWC plus the best of CUSA combined with whatever is left of the Big East which includes the large market basketball schools. Temple, Memphis, UNLV, could all come in and help the basketball side of things, are all in large markets, and are nationally known. ECU, So. Miss, etc. have no shot at ever being invited. UMass would get the nod before any of them at this point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
According to their game notes Cincinnati claims 41k for LV and 48k for WVU. If you are curious just how badly the numbers are padded in the Big East, Syracuse claims to have drawn 38k to the dome for Cincinnati on Thanksgiving weekend.

Even with those two ridiculous number they only published an average of 32k.

They bring nothing but geography and a good dance team.

Reaction Score
You might be right, but I'd like to see the actual attendance at PBS. If they averaged 26k on campus for 4 games they would need to average 68k in those two games to get to 40k.

I was quoting my friend - turns out they averaged about 44k in the two games at PBS. Still larger than the capacity of Nippert. Regardless, the fans weren't out there this year. The program is pretty pathetic in that regard.

Reaction Score
According to their game notes Cincinnati claims 41k for LV and 48k for WVU. If you are curious just how badly the numbers are padded in the Big East, Syracuse claims to have drawn 38k to the dome for Cincinnati on Thanksgiving weekend.

Even with those two ridiculous number they only published an average of 32k.

They bring nothing but geography and a good dance team.

I'd believe those numbers. I was at the games and I'd say there were about 40k there. The problem is that PBS is a very large stadium so it looked far less impressive because there were huge pockets here and there.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Um.... anyone can draw a crowd off campus to see Oklahoma. It's what you draw when it's up to you to draw the fans that matters.

Is the argument that the Big XII schools want Cincinnati in the conference so they can recruit Ohio? They are going to beat Ohio State and Michigan to players because they are in conference with Cincinnati?

Televisions in Ohio? They didn't change the station when Cinci was a play from the BCS title game, they certainly aren't going to change for Baylor and Iowa State.

Sigh. I thought you were paying attention. The B12 would get the cable fees whether the TV was on or not. Not Big Ten numbers but more than they'd get in CT. Plus, OK, TX and others would be there more often if they join the B12. I doubt we regularly could fill an NFL stadium regardless of the opponent. {dons flamesuit}

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Sigh. I thought you were paying attention. The B12 would get the cable fees whether the TV was on or not. Not Big Ten numbers but more than they'd get in CT. Plus, OK, TX and others would be there more often if they join the B12. I doubt we regularly could fill an NFL stadium regardless of the opponent. {dons flamesuit}

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

The cable fees for what? A network that doesn't exist?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you want to know where to get a cup of coffee or cheap gasoline in the state of Oklahoma, I can see you asking Greg Swaim.

If you want to know what's happening with OU or OSU, you're better off talking to a wall. He has no clue.

Reaction Score
Louisville is #12 and that's always been the problem. There is no suitable #11 without BYU or an ACC raid.

With WVU on board there are some ACC options to explore to go with Louisville.

I don't think the SEC is done and the ACC is in prevent mode. By 2015 conferences will try to reopen contracts. The B12 might want some teams on the table for their negotiations. I'm sure they have a short list that reads something like ND, BYU, FSU, VTech before Cincy or Rutgers or Maryland or BC or Wake Forest :). If Rutgers comes up I'm sure it's due diligence. The facts speak for themselves

ACC team to the Big12?
Not likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member