As the losses mount, some bizarre behavior from Edsall | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As the losses mount, some bizarre behavior from Edsall

Reaction Score
While I'm not defending the horde in any way, why was it OK to talk about how much he wanted to keep UCF on future schedules last week but, when asked about scheduling this week we got this response?

This is just another example of RE being an a**.

Reaction Score
He does seem extra ornery. Seems to be dealing with a lot, but he is here voluntarily, and media obligations are part of the job. I feel for him. The job became more difficult since be came here.

Reaction Score
Could just be frustration from everything. Trying to find positives in every weekly turd-fest can wear on the soul. This is Year 3 of RE 2.0 and they’re still a mess.

Reaction Score
Hard questions?
Damn, the horde nearly babies this guy. There are no hard questions and the one he overreacted to was vanilla as they come. It is gross when coaches use a fair question to belittle reporters. I wish reporters had the balls to go back at them when they do it( Saban in particular).

I always feel there are so many questions that are never asked after most games with Edsall.

Wouldn’t mind this one asked at some point.

**Randy how do you expect UConn,the team you coach, to compete in an environment where players get compensation for their likeness, a concept you support.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If Jacobs is suggesting that Edsall is starting to crack, I'd agree. His ridiculous merry go round of QB, each time saying there is no competition and that guy is the starter, was so small time. Play the guy who gets the job done, and say that's what you're going to do.

The first two years here he held to his "I hate all this transfer crap" mindset and the result was we lost several guys who weren't replaced. Instead we threw a bunch of true freshman into a situation they were not ready for. He finally brought in some transfers this season because he realized he had no choice. He took way to long to fix the defensive damage under Crocker. He doesn't give his OC enough room to operate.

I don't want to fire him, because that would do more harm than good. But it's clear he didn't recognize what it would take to actually rebuild the program in the current environment. He was a cheap option while we pay off Bobby red pants, and you get what you pay for.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Maybe he was just having a bad day. Answer one question in a strange way and now his cracks are showing? Cmon men.
I don’t think his reaction is any different than how he reacted in the past. But here is the difference....UConn is in a much different place than the past.

Edsall has eliminated many fan friendly program elements...Spring game, two deep, injury reports....the program was potentially the worst FBS team EVER last year...there are only 4 teams scheduled next year...there has been chaos at the qb position this year mostly driven by edsall’s comments.

The bottom line is that this program is on life support and that’s when he needs to be a leader...not a whiny beyotch. He needs to read his own inspirational tweets instead of contributing to the issues. I am disappointed he hasn’t grasped his role in the big picture.

Reaction Score
The USF game this weekend is huge. He knows it. A blowout this weekend after a whole development year last year will have repercussions.

I think it's fair to say that at no time in the history of UConn football has the future of the program depended on a team's performance as much as it does on this team's performance against USF this Saturday and through the remainder of this year. A blowout by USF could be catastrophic at this point in time. For that matter, even a loss by more than last year's margin may cause the remaining fans to take up the torches and pitchforks and march on the AD's office.

Reaction Score
One thing Jeff Jacobs is good at is knocking you (real hard) when you're down... He really lets you have it.. No bones about it.. and it he doesn't let up... It's like you can never be good enough...

It's like he's Jonah Jameson and UConn Football (and Men's Basketball) is Spiderman and he has a personal witch hunt on them...

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Randy doesn't need this. If he can't make the program credible than who can we realistically get that can?
Yes, losing every FBS game will eventually force his ouster but we shouldn't be giving any deathwatch the time of day.

The program is in trouble because it can't attract quality, in players, coaches, fans, donors, or opponents. Losing 9/10 games a year for a decade will do that.

Reaction Score
Jeff can be a little twitchy about “respect”. Remember when he got all butt hurt about Calhoun’s son Jeff laughing at him ? Still kind of surprising he’d take a cheap shot at Randy. Maybe he’s missing being the story rather than just reporting it.

My instinct was to feel the same way, but after reading the article, no, Jacobs is right. It's not that hard to treat people with respect, no matter what your record is or how much might be working against you at any given time. Football coaches in general feel way too comfortable dumping on reporters and as a result we as fans tend to normalize behavior that we'd wince at in any other environment.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My instinct was to feel the same way, but after reading the article, no, Jacobs is right. It's not that hard to treat people with respect, no matter what your record is or how much might be working against you at any given time. Football coaches in general feel way too comfortable dumping on reporters and as a result we as fans tend to normalize behavior that we'd wince at in any other environment.
Yeah I don't know. Being asked weekly about next year's schedule during the season seems like it would get old. REv2 definitely could have handled it better, but Jacobs "he's losing it" article is petty BS IMHO. Something that Jeff has a history of.

Reaction Score
If Jacobs is suggesting that Edsall is starting to crack, I'd agree. His ridiculous merry go round of QB, each time saying there is no competition and that guy is the starter, was so small time. Play the guy who gets the job done, and say that's what you're going to do.

The first two years here he held to his "I hate all this transfer crap" mindset and the result was we lost several guys who weren't replaced. Instead we threw a bunch of true freshman into a situation they were not ready for. He finally brought in some transfers this season because he realized he had no choice. He took way to long to fix the defensive damage under Crocker. He doesn't give his OC enough room to operate.

I don't want to fire him, because that would do more harm than good. But it's clear he didn't recognize what it would take to actually rebuild the program in the current environment. He was a cheap option while we pay off Bobby red pants, and you get what you pay for.
I think you are wrong. He knew exactly how hard this rebuild would be. It was and is a 5 year project. What he didn’t know was he would be doing it as an independent which makes it oh 5 times as hard maybe. And he is not happy about it and isn’t happy about getting asked about it every presser. It is a mess but Edsall didn’t make it.

Reaction Score
How do you recruit with 4 games on the schedule? This has to be bothering the coach. It is AD Dave's job and he had better start making some progress. I disagree with Edsall's response to the reporter. That was embarrassing quite frankly.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think UConn needs to keep HCRE2.0 for the full five years. I think that we have proven over the last decade that changing coaches every three years just ratchets down the success level another notch. The NYT a few years ago wrote a long article on why that is. That said, if this year ends with only or two wins, Katseolas is gonna start applying pressure and may seek a change. And if he does, as a technical guy he is not gonna be batting his eyelashes and talking about rock stars of coaching or any other BS. He will be talking about data.

Reaction Score
I will say this, the on the field stuff is much better everywhere except QB. The D is light years better. Just look at some of the guys who can’t get on the field (Hahn for one) who were key guys last year. We have real D1 talent. On O, the online is just ok but not the complete jail break sieve they were a couple of years ago when BS would have to run for his life. Receivers and TE are good legit talents. Backs have some toughness and versatility. Need much better play from the QB spot (yes I was overly pumped about Jack Zergiotis) and there are a few wins possible starting this week.

The conference thing and the lack of details for the schedule put a damper on my enthusiasm and provide fuel for all energy vampires on this site.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think you are wrong. He knew exactly how hard this rebuild would be. It was and is a 5 year project. What he didn’t know was he would be doing it as an independent which makes it oh 5 times as hard maybe. And he is not happy about it and isn’t happy about getting asked about it every presser. It is a mess but Edsall didn’t make it.

If true then he’s a moron because he went about it the wrong way. There is no need for a five year rebuild. That’s an excuse for failure and incompetence. Load up every damned JUCO and transfer you can find ASAP. Win a few games immediately. Then use that to recruit better players. Bill Snyder built the blueprint at K State, which was hands down the worst program in the country. Randy needed to follow it but it isn’t in line with his principles.

Meanwhile it seems that independence may have helped recruiting. The lack of a 2020 schedule hasn’t helped. That’s on Benedict.

Reaction Score
If true then he’s a moron because he went about it the wrong way. There is no need for a five year rebuild. That’s an excuse for failure and incompetence. Load up every damned JUCO and transfer you can find ASAP. Win a few games immediately. Then use that to recruit better players. Bill Snyder built the blueprint at K State, which was hands down the worst program in the country. Randy needed to follow it but it isn’t in line with his principles.

Meanwhile it seems that independence may have helped recruiting. The lack of a 2020 schedule hasn’t helped. That’s on Benedict.
Think you are forgetting UConn's pretensions to academic excellence.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom