As the losses mount, some bizarre behavior from Edsall | The Boneyard

As the losses mount, some bizarre behavior from Edsall

Reaction Score
I like Jacobs. He writes interesting and sometimes controversial stuff. I see nothing wrong with this article. He’s right about Randy, always has been for the most part.

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Jacobs is spot on here. Anything less than 3-9, and serious questions have to be asked.

Reaction Score
In fairness, RE knows he’s failing, the stakes are mounting, his mother just passed, his school is incapable or unwilling to build schedule with a future, and he just got embarrassed on national TV. I’d cut him some slack. Not much, but a little.

Reaction Score
Meh. He may not be wound up tight. He may just find journalists increasingly irritating. After all, being irritating is what journalists do best.
Its part of the job. Off the top of my head i can rattle off a long list if dickish things Randy has said to the press and sometimes to the fans via the press. It used to irritate me, but now i accept its just part of who he is.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
i can find 50 things to bash edsall about. not answering dopey questions from this group isnt one of them.

its theatre anyway. clearly he and benedict hate each other and this is a fun way to tweak him. benedict is in full fledged witness protection - he can’t fire another coach without getting sacked himself.

Reaction Score
I don’t know, it kind of comes with the territory - getting asked dopey questions as a college coach in a high profile sport is a normal everyday thing.

Having a great record or hell evem a good record allows you much more leeway with the press and gives you somewhat of a free pass when you’re abrupt. When you suck and you should be smart enough to just answer the inevitable dumb questions because it will be magnified.

That said i think he gets a pass as someone else said he has some personal tradegies happening that would put anyone off their game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Typical Jeff Jacobs "bullspit"!
Jeff can be a little twitchy about “respect”. Remember when he got all butt hurt about Calhoun’s son Jeff laughing at him ? Still kind of surprising he’d take a cheap shot at Randy. Maybe he’s missing being the story rather than just reporting it.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Oh no - Jeffy Weffy got an ouchie again.

Hey Jeff - how about you and the rest of the horde not get scooped on things like Hurley's surgery, then you can gloat.

Reaction Score
I don’t think Jeff is whining that Randy is mean. I think he is pointing out that Randy is showing some mental cracks already. On top of that, the team is a mess. He is subtly predicting that the dumpster fire is probably going to turn into a landfill fire before long. Year 5 is coming on fast. Pretty much what Whaler and others keep saying.

There are many reasons coaches react this way. Sometimes it is strategy. They are trying to excite the team, take the focus off some other issue etc. Whenever they do it, a reaction from the press is expected and the coach knows that. Jacobs is right, Randy is being a baby. We’ve seen it many times before. No big deal, but certainly worth a discussion by a local reporter.

Reaction Score
i can find 50 things to bash edsall about. not answering dopey questions from this group isnt one of them.

its theatre anyway. clearly he and benedict hate each other and this is a fun way to tweak him. benedict is in full fledged witness protection - he can’t fire another coach without getting sacked himself.

Any backstory about Edsall and Benedict? I have no idea how they are getting along these days.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Any backstory about Edsall and Benedict? I have no idea how they are getting along these days.

I’m no inside info guy but it seems like Edsall was thrust on Benedict by guys who would help pay to make Diaco go away.

The results have been a tire fire - Edsall gets no resources. Edsall is very outspoken on player compensation and Benedict says he would have paid to play at Southern Utah. Is there anything more an AD would hate than a coach calling to play players when he already has a 40 million annual gap?

The conference affiliation pulled the rug out from under Edsall and publically there is no progress on scheduling in the near term. This season is one injury from spinning completely out of control. If the schedule wasn’t filled with dregs you could pencil in 1-11 and move on.

Reaction Score
Every coach gets the press treatment....it sometimes helps if you can keep your humor and laugh, even in dismal times.

Bobby Bowden said his mother read a poem to him when he was young.... "laugh, and the whole world laughs with you. weep and you weep alone".

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Randy may be a at times but Jacobs is a snowflake journalist disguised as a "sports writer"
Jacobs would be better off writing editorials for the NY Times or Wash. Post

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Jeff Jacobs has sucked for quite some time. And he's not getting better with age; more like vinegar than a fine wine...

Reaction Score
I have no inside information, but I would not be at all surprised if Edsall heads out after this season. I don't think he signed up for a life of rebuilding a program without a conference. I hope I'm wrong, because I think the last thing this program needs right now is a coaching change.

Reaction Score
I have no inside information, but I would not be at all surprised if Edsall heads out after this season. I don't think he signed up for a life of rebuilding a program without a conference. I hope I'm wrong, because I think the last thing this program needs right now is a coaching change.
This would be the absolute worst time to look for a new coach, and coaching staff in general given the conference situation or lack thereof.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom