As Geno approaches age 60... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Geno approaches age 60...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Hate to tell you but the 60-something boss probably knows what he or she is talking about.

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but he's an off-the-wall duck*ing lunatic.

Reaction Score
Under normal circumstances I'd agree with you, but he's an off-the-wall lunatic.

A very long time ago, my father gave me some great 19th Century advice...he said, "There are more horses asses out there than there are horses, and you are going to have to learn to work with them if you want to get anywhere in life..."

He was so right...and this time it's your boss, but it will be your customers eventually and a whole host of others you will have a hard time walking away from...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In a fast changing world, though UConn players are doing some changing, there is even more change going on in other team's players, and there are far more of them. At strictly the "reaching them" ability and winning games level, the overall enhancement of WCBB play means that sometimes what used to result in a win after win against ND is no longer quite working, and Geno thinks he just can't find the right button to push to help pull out a win in a close game.

But there have also been those ugly-side stories during the last 8 or so years (though that includes the Maya era) with a player and coach accusing him of saying something unspeakable to the player, a player trying to trip him while leaving the court, and the security guard accusation last year that all add up to what may sometimes seem a depressing feeling that players and other people in the game have changed the levels of conduct on the court. And it can also be tiring to think so deeply about what you can say to be funny and candid and thoughtful, because there are always ill-wishers that might use one coach's calling her players whores to being in some way related on a long stretch of abusive conduct to his crack that a player can't guard a chair. Crazy, of course, but the world can be that way, and mapping the best path through the craziness as the Huskies go to ever higher records can not be any easy task.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
DILBERT.png

-Immediate after leading our country’s team to an Olympic Gold Medal in Aug 2012, Coach Auriemma then leads UConn into an unprecedented sixth straight Final Four, and also brings home yet another NCAA WCBB National Championship in April.

-Not to be outdone, the very next month, the combined brain trust of his alert fan base wraps up their season analysis – sadly concluding, the game indeed appears to be passing him by.

"We live in deeds, not years” -Aristotle

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One of the joys of teaching and/or coaching is that you have a whole new group of students/athletes every year. The challenges and the joys are always moving and "refreshing" your life.

The flip side of the coin is that kids who bring unique joys into your life move on.
What is really fun is that new special kids fill the seats left open. Thus you lose a Taurasi or a Bird --- and you gain a Maya or a Stewie --- and soon an Ekmark.

Geno's "work" is never boring.
As Wooderson would say, "I get older, they stay the same age."

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the sixth consecutive Final Four got the play it deserved, or maybe I missed it.

Understandable, that making the Final Four gets second billing when you win the NC, but six in a row!!! Never done before. Never.

When something notable has never been done before, it deserves some coverage.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I'm not sure the sixth consecutive Final Four got the play it deserved, or maybe I missed it.

Understandable, that making the Final Four gets second billing when you win the NC, but six in a row!!! Never done before. Never.

It got a lot of play when they were talking about Stanford potentially setting the record. Not so much when UCONN did it.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

To put this accomplishment in to perspective, another program that has won 8 NCs and is in the discussion for best ever has now missed 5 consecutive Final Fours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom