As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: ‘Tired of being disrespected’ (Mike Anthony) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

As Big 12 expansion rumors boil, UConn pours NIL money into football: ‘Tired of being disrespected’ (Mike Anthony)

Reaction Score
When I was on campus from 2006-2010… I sure thought we were on our way to that level. Times have certainly changed.
I totally get it - those were giddy/full of hope times! What is somewhat amazing is the gulf between the top 5-10 FBS programs and all the rest. It's to the point where even a Notre Dame with all of its history, currency, etc seems to be up against a glass ceiling in terms of not being in the same echelon of Bama, GA, Ohio State and a handful of others.

Reaction Score
Sorry that you don't like to care about details.
It's not about details. It's literally an extra step in peoples logic chain

People don't want to spend resources on football because they don't think we can win a championship->

In order to win a championship you have to compete with teams like Alabama and Ohio State->

Therefore people think in order to put resources into football we should be on the same level as a team like Alabama or Ohio State->

Since we aren't on the same level as Alabama or Ohio State, we can't compete for championships->

If we can't compete for championships we shouldn't even try.

Reaction Score
In college football a few key impact players can turn a program. Spend wisely and things will turn. My list of difference makers:
O: QB, WR, RB,

D: 1 DL pass rusher, 1 Mike or Sam, cover DB

6 positions can win games. The rest can be average to average + and you can win your fair share.

so we are an Orlovsky, Donald Brown, Easley, Bryon jones, Marcus Campbell, and Scott Lutrus away from that level. we have done it before and can do it again, plus many of those guys were from Connecticu!

edit: obviously I am simplifying a difficult task, but still

Reaction Score
It's not about details. It's literally an extra step in peoples logic chain
I think they're different logic paths (though similar and people conflate them) but whatever. We can view it differently. :)

Reaction Score
so we are an Orlovsky, Donald Brown, Easley, Bryon jones, Marcus Campbell, and Scott Lutrus away from that level. we have done it before and can do it again, plus many of those guys were from Connecticu!

100% right on it. Find enough NIL to get 6 high quality guys and we are back to very competitive. If we can raise 3-5 Million we can get some pretty excellent talent at key positions. With that core your diamonds in the rough, grinders and lunch pale guys start to step up. Success breeds success.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
100% right on it. Find enough NIL to get 6 high quality guys and we are back to very competitive. If we can raise 3-5 Million we can get some pretty excellent talent at key positions. With that core your diamonds in the rough, grinders and lunch pale guys start to step up. Success breeds success.
3-5 million? That's it? Well hell I got that in a sack in my garage. 2026 is on someone else though.

Reaction Score

Yes, those 6 would be a great Freshman class to fill in around. The hard part is how many do you recruit that can't provide you with what those 6 did. You have to be dead on with your recruiting, no margin for error. You are fundamentally correct, and we've got to always believe the next guy is the next Marcus Campbell etc.

Reaction Score
3-5 million? That's it? Well hell I got that in a sack in my garage. 2026 is on someone else though.
I wasn’t thinking of you alone. I figured you had 4 other friends you could go in together at $1M a piece.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lurkmore

Top Bottom