Article says what we've all been saying after the maryland game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article says what we've all been saying after the maryland game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Marcus wasn't fast, but his ability to change speeds helped him get into the lane at will. The others, though--namely Denham, Rashad, Austrie, etc.--weren't able to get into the lane.

"At will" is too strong, but glad you agree with the general sentiment that both team's guards haven't been quick enough.

Reaction Score
"At will" is too strong, but glad you agree with the general sentiment that both team's guards haven't been quick enough.
Yeah. I think you're largely right: a second penetrating ball-handler was probably what that team was missing.

Purvis and Adams seem like they can get in the lane from the perimeter. Purvis, though, still hasn't figured out what to do with it always. Cassell, Calhoun, and--sadly--Gibbs, don't seem like the can penetrate.

Hamilton gets into the lane from the 3 spot, but he isn't particularly quick nor decisive, and his lack of quickness kills us defensively.

C

Chief00

It's a team game, there are times when Dham and also JA need to be kicking the ball out to a shooter. Seems like we had very little penetrate and kick outs against the Terps. Same criticism of Purvis. At times, too much one on one.

And who are those shooters?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Marcus Williams couldn't penetrate? Seriousy? What PG all that year could keep him out of the paint?

That and passing were his two best qualities. He may not have been the most athletic, but he had those 2 from the moment he stepped on campus.

Reaction Score
can't take that article seriously when there's absoulutely zero mention of Purvis being a no-show in a big game yet again. Sounds like the author posts here, a long section dedicated to Brimah but nothing on the former top 20 recruit having 1 (bleeping) point before he did his usual routine of deciding to score when the team is already down double digits. I really feel like I am living in a bizarro world the way Purvis and DHam's struggles against good to great teams just gets completely glossed over. I'm not impressed by dudes scoring when you are down 15-20 points, the only time I've seen it work in a seaon + 8 games is against Florida and that was because UF was inept at the FT line.
I can live with Hamilton's offensive struggles a little more because he brings other things to the table. Don't get me wrong, I'd love it if the light switch went on considering he has the talent to be unguardable in college, but he seems to have a similar mindset to Rudy Gay.

Purvis is a different scorer. His inconsistency as a junior is getting ridiculous, and he really doesn't bring much else to the game. Especially since his D has been underwhelming too.

Reaction Score
Yeah. I think you're largely right: a second penetrating ball-handler was probably what that team was missing.

Purvis and Adams seem like they can get in the lane from the perimeter. Purvis, though, still hasn't figured out what to do with it always. Cassell, Calhoun, and--sadly--Gibbs, don't seem like the can penetrate.

Hamilton gets into the lane from the 3 spot, but he isn't particularly quick nor decisive, and his lack of quickness kills us defensively.

Problem is that Adams and Purvis aren't on the floor at the same time nearly enough, and like you said, Purvis gets into the lane and frequently stops short to brick a floater or take a contested pull up shot. DHam can get into high post position at will, but he seems to just throw the brakes on once he gets there to pump-fake into a pass.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Problem is that Adams and Purvis aren't on the floor at the same time nearly enough, and like you said, Purvis gets into the lane and frequently stops short to brick a floater or take a contested pull up shot. DHam can get into high post position at will, but he seems to just throw the brakes on once he gets there to pump-fake into a pass.

I've said elsewhere that Purvis/Adams is the best back court. Purvis seems to get a lot of crap, but he brings a lot to the table and has a more well rounded game than Gibbs. What he lacks in mental consistency, can be made up for with heady play from Adams. Gibbs/Purvis is a nightmare because there is too much redundancy between the two, and it exposes their deficiencies.

Reaction Score
I've said elsewhere that Purvis/Adams is the best back court. Purvis seems to get a lot of crap, but he brings a lot to the table and has a more well rounded game than Gibbs. What he lacks in mental consistency, can be made up for with heady play from Adams. Gibbs/Purvis is a nightmare because there is too much redundancy between the two, and it exposes their deficiencies.

A lot of the crap Purvis gets is deserved. He's been here for going on 3 years now (counting his transfer sit-out time), and still plays like he has no idea what's going on out on the floor. This is his 4th year playing or practicing with a college team and aside from Brimah he probably has the lowest BBIQ on the team. The only thing he brings to the table that Gibbs doesn't is that he's somewhat better defensively, but Purvis takes away from that with horrible decisions on both ends and by disappearing offensively until the game is a blowout.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
A lot of the crap Purvis gets is deserved. He's been here for going on 3 years now (counting his transfer sit-out time), and still plays like he has no idea what's going on out on the floor. This is his 4th year playing or practicing with a college team and aside from Brimah he probably has the lowest BBIQ on the team. The only thing he brings to the table that Gibbs doesn't is that he's somewhat better defensively, but Purvis takes away from that with horrible decisions on both ends and by disappearing offensively until the game is a blowout.

Have you seen Purvis play since last November?

Reaction Score
Yes, over a half dozen times in person and countless more on television.

And you would say Purvis is a high IQ player who doesn't make way more mistakes than he should given that this is his 4th year in CBB?

Reaction Score
And you would say Purvis is a high IQ player who doesn't make way more mistakes than he should given that this is his 4th year in CBB?
I hear what you are saying, but I kinda like what Purvis is doing. He's playing aggressive. Not particularly smart, but aggressive. And smarter than last year....but tend to agree, not the most level headed player. But I think some of that is due to his ball handling ability. I don't think he's particularly confident with the handle and is always in a rush to get rid of it.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying, but I kinda like what Purvis is doing. He's playing aggressive. Not particularly smart, but aggressive. And smarter than last year....but tend to agree, not the most level headed player. But I think some of that is due to his ball handling ability. I don't think he's particularly confident with the handle and is always in a rush to get rid of it.

Except when he drives into contact looking for a foul rather than to finish...Or stops short of contact to brick an ugly floater or take a contested shot rather than kick back out. He's better than the beginning of last year, but the beginning of last year was also his first time in 2 years playing, by now he should be less mistake prone and/or not disappear in big games until there's a 15 point deficit. I'd settle for him fixing 1 of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom