Article says what we've all been saying after the maryland game | The Boneyard

Article says what we've all been saying after the maryland game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not really sold on our talent. It's good for sure, but also very flawed. DHam is the perfect example. He has size, handle, decent shooting, but Dham doesn't really do much off the ball. In fact, his skillset doesn't really allow him to. He's a pretty average 3 point shooter and rarely comes around screens and shoots. He's a player that needs the ball to be effective, but he doesn't really run any offense. If he can consistently beat his man with his myriad up up-fakes, we will do well. If his defender has some discipline Dham doesn't add a ton to the offense. In fact, when DHam is guarded by a solid defender it's like the kiss of death for us. The ball will stop in Dham's hands, and everyone will watch. Similar flaws can be found with almost everyone.

Anyways, not really trying to pile on Dham. This year's focus for him was to cut down on turnovers. Mission accomplished. He does a lot of what he did last year, but he doesn't turn the ball as much. I think he needs to start working on his three point shooting. I think he needs to become a lights out three point shooter. Not just an average one. He's probably not a pro unless he becomes a better shooter and more of a score first guy.

Reaction Score
I'm not really sold on our talent. It's good for sure, but also very flawed. DHam is the perfect example. He has size, handle, decent shooting, but Dham doesn't really do much off the ball. In fact, his skillset doesn't really allow him to. He's a pretty average 3 point shooter and rarely comes around screens and shoots. He's a player that needs the ball to be effective, but he doesn't really run any offense. If he can consistently beat his man with his myriad up up-fakes, we will do well. If his defender has some discipline Dham doesn't add a ton to the offense. In fact, when DHam is guarded by a solid defender it's like the kiss of death for us. The ball will stop in Dham's hands, and everyone will watch. Similar flaws can be found with almost everyone.

Anyways, not really trying to pile on Dham. This year's focus for him was to cut down on turnovers. Mission accomplished. He does a lot of what he did last year, but he doesn't turn the ball as much. I think he needs to start working on his three point shooting. I think he needs to become a lights out three point shooter. Not just an average one. He's probably not a pro unless he becomes a better shooter and more of a score first guy.
Aren't you the person who thought only North Carolina and Kentucky had a shot at beating us? Point is don't be reactive. This team has lots of talent but it is taking longer than what we hoped for to find it's chemistry .

Reaction Score
can't take that article seriously when there's absoulutely zero mention of Purvis being a no-show in a big game yet again. Sounds like the author posts here, a long section dedicated to Brimah but nothing on the former top 20 recruit having 1 (bleeping) point before he did his usual routine of deciding to score when the team is already down double digits. I really feel like I am living in a bizarro world the way Purvis and DHam's struggles against good to great teams just gets completely glossed over. I'm not impressed by dudes scoring when you are down 15-20 points, the only time I've seen it work in a seaon + 8 games is against Florida and that was because UF was inept at the FT line.

Reaction Score
This team has played up to its talent in spurts and when they have theyve looked pretty darn good. Only problem is we seem to show flashes when we`re already down 15+ points in the second half.

Reaction Score

You are so wrong. We only got back into the game when DHAM became a one man show in the second half. He has to score early and often, until the others (purvis, Gibbs) shots start to fall. DHAM is out there alone. Yet, with a little tweak here and there, we are going to Houston!

Reaction Score
It's a team game, there are times when Dham and also JA need to be kicking the ball out to a shooter. Seems like we had very little penetrate and kick outs against the Terps. Same criticism of Purvis. At times, too much one on one.

Reaction Score
i try not to discredit an entire piece based on one statement, but...

"Put Sam Cassell Jr. on South Carolina, and he’s their best player."

this is so idiotic that i had no choice

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
to some, the author is just another idiot like me and everyone else who mentions there are problems that need to be fixed

Reaction Score
aceboon said:
can't take that article seriously when there's absoulutely zero mention of Purvis being a no-show in a big game yet again. Sounds like the author posts here, a long section dedicated to Brimah but nothing on the former top 20 recruit having 1 (bleeping) point before he did his usual routine of deciding to score when the team is already down double digits. I really feel like I am living in a bizarro world the way Purvis and DHam's struggles against good to great teams just gets completely glossed over. I'm not impressed by dudes scoring when you are down 15-20 points, the only time I've seen it work in a seaon + 8 games is against Florida and that was because UF was inept at the FT line.
Purvis had a great game against SMU last year. That's probably the only one that I can remember.

Reaction Score
Purvis had a great game against SMU last year. That's probably the only one that I can remember.
SMU x2 and Cincy last year, but I totally agree with the overall point. This year he has played good in 1/4 games against potential tournament teams.

Reaction Score
so far this season, this team has given me feelings similar to watching the 2006 squad, loaded with talent, no idea how to make it work.

I hope to see them realize their potential and come together to become formidable...

my antacid inventories are being diminished game by game so far

Reaction Score
so far this season, this team has given me feelings similar to watching the 2006 squad, loaded with talent, no idea how to make it work.

I hope to see them realize their potential and come together to become formidable...

my antacid inventories are being diminished game by game so far

OMFG. Could we stop this please? The '06 team was #1 for part of the season, got a 1 seed and made the friggin regional final where it lost in OT when a shot rimmed out. I was at all 4 NCAA games that year, so you don't have to tell me either how we didn't play the way we played in the regular season or how much the drive back from DC to CT sucked after losing to Mason, but to compare them to a team that is 1-3 against Big Boy competition is so beyond stupid ....

Reaction Score
OMFG. Could we stop this please? The '06 team was #1 for part of the season, got a 1 seed and made the friggin regional final where it lost in OT when a shot rimmed out. I was at all 4 NCAA games that year, so you don't have to tell me either how we didn't play the way we played in the regular season or how much the drive back from DC to CT sucked after losing to Mason, but to compare them to a team that is 1-3 against Big Boy competition is so beyond stupid ....
Seriously. That team lost two regular season games. That's it. Their lowest ranking all year was 4. They were #1 for 5 weeks.

Let's not be ridiculous here.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
to some, the author is just another idiot like me and everyone else who mentions there are problems that need to be fixed

Huh? I'd venture to guess that no one on this board thinks there aren't problems that need to be fixed.

Reaction Score
Seriously. That team lost two regular season games. That's it. Their lowest ranking all year was 4. They were #1 for 5 weeks.

This is sometimes a hard neighborhood to hang out in if you actually believe that words and thoughts should mean something.

Reaction Score
I think one way to describe it is if you were to just watch UConn play vs Cuse, Gonzaga, and MD, without knowing anything about the makeup of the roster, they look like a team thats young, inexperienced, and still a year away from competing with the big boys. The problem is in reality, we have 2 graduate transfers (Gibbs/Miller, one Jr who is experienced after playing one year already for another P5 school and one year under his belt here (Purvis), and another Jr who played significant minutes on a NC team and the reigning defensive player of the year in his conference. Throw in Hamilton who is probably the best player on the team now. This team does have talent and experience. They just dont have experience playing with each other

Reaction Score
Aren't you the person who thought only North Carolina and Kentucky had a shot at beating us? Point is don't be reactive. This team has lots of talent but it is taking longer than what we hoped for to find it's chemistry .

"lots of talent" is a bit of an overstatement. The best PG/dribble penetration player on the team is a freshman who doesn't even start, we don't have a big that we can run offense through, we DO have a big that doesn't add anything offensively and frequently disappears against the best teams we play, and there isn't a leader/alpha dog that can bail this team out of a bad possession or get a much needed bucket.

Reaction Score
It's a team game, there are times when Dham and also JA need to be kicking the ball out to a shooter. Seems like we had very little penetrate and kick outs against the Terps. Same criticism of Purvis. At times, too much one on one.

There's not very much dribble penetration going on with this team as a whole. DHam and Gibbs are basically incapable, Purvis is too frequently indecisive with the ball in his hands, and when he decides to drive he frequently decides to stop about 6 feet from the basket to unleash what has to be the worst floater I've ever seen. JA seems to legitimately be the only guy on the team capable of a slash and kick, but as a freshman he forces contested layups sometimes, which is still something I'd prefer over an off-balance or contested 3 from Gibbs, Purvis, and especially DHam.

Reaction Score

This team is clearly not as talented as the 06 team but there are some similarities, namely that both team's best players (Rudy, DHam) probably aren't as aggressive offensively as they need to be, and that both teams suffer from a lack of quickness/dribble penetration from their guards.

Reaction Score
You are so wrong. We only got back into the game when DHAM became a one man show in the second half. He has to score early and often, until the others (purvis, Gibbs) shots start to fall. DHAM is out there alone. Yet, with a little tweak here and there, we are going to Houston!
Makes sense. I would probably argue more, but I really don't know what's wrong with the team. I also don't think it's an easy answer. If it was, KO and crew would have figured it out already. I definitely am worried the fix is beyond a couple tweaks. There's a lot of reasons to suspect we have an fundamental lack of talent.

Reaction Score
This team is clearly not as talented as the 06 team but there are some similarities, namely that both team's best players (Rudy, DHam) probably aren't as aggressive offensively as they need to be, and that both teams suffer from a lack of quickness/dribble penetration from their guards.

Marcus Williams couldn't penetrate? Seriousy? What PG all that year could keep him out of the paint?

Reaction Score
I think this guy nailed it in general especially the important points about Miller and Brimah blocking out and playing tougher. He's also right that we should be creating for Gibbs to get good 3's. He will come through. Omar and Sam not so much.

Reaction Score
Marcus Williams couldn't penetrate? Seriousy? What PG all that year could keep him out of the paint?
Marcus wasn't fast, but his ability to change speeds helped him get into the lane at will. The others, though--namely Denham, Rashad, Austrie, etc.--weren't able to get into the lane.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think this guy nailed it in general especially the important points about Miller and Brimah blocking out and playing tougher. He's also right that we should be creating for Gibbs to get good 3's. He will come through. Omar and Sam not so much.
if gibbs is struggling running the point and getting to the lane, why not have him playing off the ball and be a three point/mid range shooter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom