Article: Purvis followed his heart back to UConn | The Boneyard

Article: Purvis followed his heart back to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Didn't see this posted.

"It was like my heart was still here for some reason," Purvis said Monday inside the Werth Family UConn Basketball Champions Center. "I felt like my time here wasn't up yet. I feel like I accomplished a few things since I've been. I just feel like God had something better for me here.

"Right now, I don't know what that is. With working out all summer and coming in with my teammates, I feel like everything is going to play out for the best."

Purvis followed his heart back to UConn, New London Day

Reaction Score
So the CP3 camp already happened, good to see our beat writers are on top of things(sarcasm). Purvis's inconsistency has driven me crazy but I wouldn't be surprised at him having a big year, would love to see him go out and have a Sean Kilpatrick type year as far as individual play.

Reaction Score
Ill say it again. I believe this kid is going to have a monster year. superstar like.

Can we get a stat projection? I think he goes for 15 pts on 46% shooting from the field, 4.5 rebs, 2.5 assists, 1.3 stls. None of that is really jumping out on a limb, even tho there are modest upticks in each category. I'll also say he makes over 2.5 3's pg on 42% from 3.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Can we get a stat projection? I think he goes for 15 pts on 46% shooting from the field, 4.5 rebs, 2.5 assists, 1.3 stls. None of that is really jumping out on a limb, even tho there are modest upticks in each category. I'll also say he makes over 2.5 3's pg on 42% from 3.

I think he is a 18-20 point scorer a game. I like the rest of your stat line. I might have him at 45% plus from 3 though.

Reaction Score
I think he is a 18-20 point scorer a game. I like the rest of your stat line. I might have him at 45% plus from 3 though.

if he shot 45% or better from three and didn't improve on converting layups or shooting ft's i think he could easily eclipse my projection and maybe even brush the low end of yours. If he improved converting lay-ups and ft's sky is the limit.

Reaction Score
IIRC his free throws were improved at the end of the year. I don't remember numbers, but in the beginning of the year I remember thinking he was good for 50% from the line, but by the end of the year, I expected him to be closer to 75%. If he can convert 50% of the layups he missed, shoot 40% from three, and 75% from the line then he'll be 18-20/game and that's what I'm expecting/hoping for.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to predict how he or the team will perform, but Purvis has certainly made himself into one of the easiest guys to root for in this program's recent history.

Unlike some, he clearly really wants to be here. That alone helps team cohesion and morale.

Reaction Score
Hah, 1 word: delusional.

What is delusional about my post? There isn't much context provided in that post. There is some provided in a subsequent post if you bothered to read it.

Reaction Score

Purvis has never shot above 39% from deep, what makes you think that he will improve that much? Completely unrealistic prediction/expectation IMO. Who is the last UConn player to shoot anywhere close to 45% at high volume besides Giffey? I can't think of a single guy who has been that efficient from long range in the last 10 years.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying Purvis WILL show the same improvement as Hield, but there's no reason it isn't possible. Purvis wouldn't even have to improve as much as Hield did to average 20 points/game. He only needs to improve a little bit, and take more shots.

A closer look at their respective numbers would surprise people. For example, Purvis last season was already a better shooter than Hield was as a junior from everywhere but the foul line.

Rodney Purvis
Junior (RS) year, Per Game Stats
28.8 mpg
43.4% FG (10.4 FGA/game)
47.9% 2P FG
38.5% 3P FG
12.8 PPG

Buddy Hield
Junior Year
32.4 mpg
41.2% FG (14.2 FGA/game)
46.9% 2P FG
35.9% 3P FG
17.4 PPG

Per 40 minutes
Hield- 21.5 ppg on 17.6 shots
Purvis- 17.8 ppg on 14.5 shots

Rodney needs to improve, and I expect he will. 45% from three would be a huge leap, I think 42% is more realistic. But believing it to be impossible is what is delusional, Hield just proved it's possible, and Rodney wouldn't be making as much of an improvement as Hield did.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying Purvis WILL show the same improvement as Hield, but there's no reason it isn't possible. Purvis wouldn't even have to improve as much as Hield did to average 20 points/game. He only needs to improve a little bit, and take more shots.

A closer look at their respective numbers would surprise people. For example, Purvis last season was already a better shooter than Hield was as a junior from everywhere but the foul line.

Rodney Purvis
Junior (RS) year, Per Game Stats
28.8 mpg
43.4% FG (10.4 FGA/game)
47.9% 2P FG
38.5% 3P FG
12.8 PPG

Buddy Hield
Junior Year
32.4 mpg
41.2% FG (14.2 FGA/game)
46.9% 2P FG
35.9% 3P FG
17.4 PPG

Per 40 minutes
Hield- 21.5 ppg on 17.6 shots
Purvis- 17.8 ppg on 14.5 shots

Rodney needs to improve, and I expect he will. 45% from three would be a huge leap, I think 42% is more realistic. But believing it to be impossible is what is delusional, Hield just proved it's possible, and Rodney wouldn't be making as much of an improvement as Hield did.

agree with this in theory. Hield has MUCH better shot mechanics than purvis and that may need to change to achieve these projections though.

Reaction Score
agree with this in theory. Hield has MUCH better shot mechanics than purvis and that may need to change to achieve these projections though.
Perhaps, but the stats show at the same point in their career they both put up 1.22 points per shot over 40 minutes. And that's considering the fact Hield is a much better FT shooter (around 82% compared to around 65%)

I don't know if Hield's mechanics, shot selection or confidence improved from Jr to Sr year, or a combination of the three. I think we'll be leaning on Rodney as the senior/#1 option in the offense.

Reaction Score
Comparing the number 6 pick in the NBA draft and reigning National Player of the Year to Purvis is indeed delusional.

C

Chief00

I like Purvis - he is really a good guy. I agree he is easy to root for - I actually told him over a year ago to clean-up that crazy foot out of bounds stuff - and I actually believe he took it to heart and eliminated it from his game. In contrast, George Blaney begged JD to clean that up and it never happened. George once said in all the years he played he did not once stand out of bounds to catch a pass - nothing drove George more crazy than that m. Standing out of bounds on offense turned George into Calhoun. LOL

Reaction Score
Comparing the number 6 pick in the NBA draft and reigning National Player of the Year to Purvis is indeed delusional.
That's not what I did. I compared the two as Juniors. If that is beyond your scope feel free to tap out of the thread.

Reaction Score
Purvis has never shot above 39% from deep, what makes you think that he will improve that much? Completely unrealistic prediction/expectation IMO. Who is the last UConn player to shoot anywhere close to 45% at high volume besides Giffey? I can't think of a single guy who has been that efficient from long range in the last 10 years.
Only 4 UConn players to shoot above 45%

2014 Niels: 48.3 (58/120)
2000 Mouring: 47.8 (86/180)
1996 Allen: 46.6 (115/247)
1995 Fair: 45.3 (58/128)

Reaction Score
I like Purvis - he is really a good guy. I agree he is easy to root for - I actually told him over a year ago to clean-up that crazy foot out of bounds stuff - and I actually believe he took it to heart and eliminated it from his game. In contrast, George Blaney begged JD to clean that up and it never happened. George once said in all the years he played he did not once stand out of bounds to catch a pass - nothing drove George more crazy than that m. Standing out of bounds on offense turned George into Calhoun. LOL
Thanks for telling Purvis what the coaching staff couldn't. Chief always bringing the truth!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom