Article on why Raegan Beers Chose Oklahoma over UCONN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on why Raegan Beers Chose Oklahoma over UCONN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Exactly -- and the effect goes both ways. I can't imagine that players like Sue and Diana, or Paige and Azzi for that matter, would consider playing in Oklahoma even if the Sooners had already won 11 National Championships by the time they graduated from high school.

Consider the players who chose UConn over Tennessee in the heyday of that rivalry, e.g., Ann Strother or Swin Cash. I have to think that spending four years in East Tennessee was not an idea that they found appetizing.

Doesn't this essentially happen with most players? Which coaching staff they prefer? Set of players? Both as basketball players or culturally. That and playing time.

There was a recent article on Aidan Mahaney's recruitment (men's program) in which his father contrasted the highly-caffeinated UConn staff with other coaching staff's advertising how laid back they were in their handling of players. Aiden decided he wanted the caffeinated variety of coaches over those on valium. Worked out well for UConn this time, but other players will make decide they fit better in a more relaxed environment. (I like this example because it is less "culturally/politically charged.")

sun

Reaction Score
The article mentioned that she wanted to join a program that really needed her. IMO that would seem to be among the most important factors impacting her decision since UConn already has such a full roster of talent.
There's also the possibility of NIL benefactors somewhere in the background.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I do apologize if you feel personally attacked by my responding to the general continued discontent over her decision conveyed within that text and gif.

I was merely trying to suggest (obviously poorly or in too succinct a fashion) that this was obviously a big decision for her and involved more than basketball. A choice over which place would lead to her greater overall happiness.

It isn't as if any of us are in a position to say that her choice is wrong. She isn't deciding whether or not to get a face tattoo or something where we can have strong feelings about her perceived foolishness.

It is very likely -- in fact -- that we should admit this was the correct choice for her. People making good choices for positive reasons should not be controversial.

And that we have a fine "consolation price" who very strongly wanted to be here in Ice Brady. We should focus on her instead.

That was all. Sorry about any negative emotions my remarks may have led

Lol, I have to laugh at the passive aggressive response. It always is interesting when posters feel more comfortable drifting in that direction, rather than just addressing the actual topic.

In any event, what this board actually does is discuss women's basketball. Not everyone may have the same opinion as you and that's all right. It's a conversation, not a monologue.

So here's a suggestion, rather than telling other posters what they should or should not post, maybe you should consider just adding your opinion to the discussion and let the moderators decide whether a particular thread has gotten inappropriate? Just something to consider.

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I do apologize if you feel personally attacked by my responding to the general continued discontent over her decision conveyed within that text and gif.

I was merely trying to suggest (obviously poorly or in too succinct a fashion) that this was obviously a big decision for her and involved more than basketball. A choice over which place would lead to her greater overall happiness.

It isn't as if any of us are in a position to say that her choice is wrong. She isn't deciding whether or not to get a face tattoo or something where we can have strong feelings about her perceived foolishness.

It is very likely -- in fact -- that we should admit this was the correct choice for her. People making good choices for positive reasons should not be controversial.

And that we have a fine "consolation price" who very strongly wanted to be here in Ice Brady. We should focus on her instead.

That was all. Sorry about any negative emotions my remarks may have led to.
Ah yeah I think I misunderstood. Whoops.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have mixed emotions about Beers. On the one hand, it would have been nice to have a talented, veteran post to count on while Jana got comfortable with college basketball. On the other hand, Jana has a much greater upside imo, so Beers could well have taken PT away from Jana, thereby slowing her development. If Jana becomes the player we all hope she is, Beers decision to transfer to OK will soon be forgotten.

Reaction Score
I have mixed emotions about Beers. On the one hand, it would have been nice to have a talented, veteran post to count on while Jana got comfortable with college basketball. On the other hand, Jana has a much greater upside imo, so Beers could well have taken PT away from Jana, thereby slowing her development. If Jana becomes the player we all hope she is, Beers decision to transfer to OK will soon be forgotten.
Yeah if Jana turned out to be a force, who gets benched? They have similar stats (using Jana’s from the FIBA cup) except for the fact Jana can shoot the 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom