Article on UConn and Mass by BC Interruption...VERY GOOD Read | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on UConn and Mass by BC Interruption...VERY GOOD Read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fwiw I wouldn't be shocked if Berard got a shot at a higher level at some point. He did a good job at UConn and is also doing a solid job at the Cross. Wouldn't shock me to see him on the shortlist for UMass or Northeastern when those jobs open. Frankly I had concerns about Cav mostly because he had been considered for a couple of jobs but lost out. But I think he has been fine. Top flight recruiter. We've landed a few guys we have no business getting at this point. Wish he had a little more experience on his staff though.

Reaction Score
You think Uconn fans give a rats ass if BC people like Cavanaugh? You just didn't say that did you lol? We care about winning hockey games dude!

Reaction Score
HAHAHAHAHA Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever take anything BCHB says as fact. Kid is as reliable as a PP play call.

That said, comparing UConn's hiring ability to BU, North Dakota, or UNH is a bad comparison. UConn was in a position where their best bets were going to be either washed-up coaches from other programs (Gwoz), or hot-shot younger associate head coaches at bigger programs looking to get their first shot at captaining a ship, as Cav was. Considering the conditions from which he's had to build his program, and making a move tantamount to bringing a football team from the Sun Belt to the SEC, he's done an excellent job. Realistically, in 2013, getting a coach with prior head coaching experience AND a track record of success wasn't an option, with the only exception of Gwoz and his awkward situation at DU. Though he would've been a bad hire as he'd constantly have one foot out the door to a better pro or college job, and having few east coast ties.

Also, comparing coaching/recruiting in Atlantic Hockey and Hockey East is ridiculous.

Reaction Score
HAHAHAHAHA Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever take anything BCHB says as fact. Kid is as reliable as a PP play call.

That said, comparing UConn's hiring ability to BU, North Dakota, or UNH is a bad comparison. UConn was in a position where their best bets were going to be either washed-up coaches from other programs (Gwoz), or hot-shot younger associate head coaches at bigger programs looking to get their first shot at captaining a ship, as Cav was. Considering the conditions from which he's had to build his program, and making a move tantamount to bringing a football team from the Sun Belt to the SEC, he's done an excellent job. Realistically, in 2013, getting a coach with prior head coaching experience AND a track record of success wasn't an option, with the only exception of Gwoz and his awkward situation at DU. Though he would've been a bad hire as he'd constantly have one foot out the door to a better pro or college job, and having few east coast ties.

Also, comparing coaching/recruiting in Atlantic Hockey and Hockey East is ridiculous.
I used them as examples I found during an internet search as guys with no head coaching experience for our Cav hating curmudgeon friend..nothing more or less. Actually the first time I have ever seen that blog to be honest with you. I'm in agreement with you....I like Cav and think he has done a good job. Especially with the facilities he has to recruit against. Gown interestingly enough ended up as an Asst with the Lightening...and last year moved back to Denver to become a high school coach:
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...ing-bench-to-high-school-coach-165710014.html

Reaction Score
Better hope BC gets it done at UMass tonight because otherwise UConn will be facing the most determined and pissed off BC team they'll see in years trying to get Jerry's 1,000th at home. They already blew the shot at doing it against my guys last week, so to not get it again against a putrid UMass team would put them in destruction mode on Saturday. The good news, UMass is indeed putrid. Also could lead to a nice letdown game opportunity for UConn on Saturday if they get 1,000 tonight.

Reaction Score
You think Uconn fans give a rats ass if BC people like Cavanaugh? You just didn't say that did you lol? We care about winning hockey games dude!
Nope. But I don't think anyone "called in a favor" to get positive coverage. I think BC guys generally like and respect Cav, plus the facts about school support speak for themselves. Hence the positive comparison vs UMass.

Reaction Score
After BC trounced UMass last night 8-0 to get Jerry York his 1000 win as head coach he praised all of his assistant coaches through the years, including current staffers Greg Brown,Marty McInnis and Mike Ayers,whom he described as "good as any I've had".

Reaction Score
Better hope BC gets it done at UMass tonight because otherwise UConn will be facing the most determined and pissed off BC team they'll see in years trying to get Jerry's 1,000th at home. They already blew the shot at doing it against my guys last week, so to not get it again against a putrid UMass team would put them in destruction mode on Saturday. The good news, UMass is indeed putrid. Also could lead to a nice letdown game opportunity for UConn on Saturday if they get 1,000 tonight.
That putrid UMass team you described swept Uconn this year - Yikes what does that make us?

Reaction Score
Putrid UMass also played well enough against Yale (3-2, OT), who beat BU. :D Some of that was my fault. Crowd was puny and I was too loud. I should have shut up. Motivated them better than their own coaches.

UMass' coaching is not good, overall.

Reaction Score
After BC trounced UMass last night 8-0 to get Jerry York his 1000 win as head coach he praised all of his assistant coaches through the years, including current staffers Greg Brown,Marty McInnis and Mike Ayers,whom he described as "good as any I've had".
Look we know you don't like Cav...do us all a favor and go hang out on the USCHO forum...oh wait you are so thin skinned you would get absolutely CRUSHED there! SO since you have so much time on your hands to come here and bitch after every single game out how Cav sucks...his staff sucks...they suck as coaches...their recruiting sucks...why don't you plot out a coaching staff change and what you would do to go win in the SEC of hockey conferences only 2 years removed from the Patriot League of hockey conferences and send it to Warde in an email.
I have finally figured out what your problem is...you are a typical UConn Women's basketball fan who thinks that UConn should win at everythig..and when they lose the coach and his staff suck and should be replaced! Do you even know how many scholarships UConn has this year? Do you know how Freitas compares to the rest of the facilities in HE? Please educate us fans that you think don't know college hockey like you do....

Reaction Score
Look we know you don't like Cav...do us all a favor and go hang out on the USCHO forum...oh wait you are so thin skinned you would get absolutely CRUSHED there! SO since you have so much time on your hands to come here and bitch after every single game out how Cav sucks...his staff sucks...they suck as coaches...their recruiting sucks...why don't you plot out a coaching staff change and what you would do to go win in the SEC of hockey conferences only 2 years removed from the Patriot League of hockey conferences and send it to Warde in an email.
I have finally figured out what your problem is...you are a typical UConn Women's basketball fan who thinks that UConn should win at everythig..and when they lose the coach and his staff suck and should be replaced! Do you even know how many scholarships UConn has this year? Do you know how Freitas compares to the rest of the facilities in HE? Please educate us fans that you think don't know college hockey like you do....
I sure do UCONN has 15 more scholarships this year than Yale (National Champions). UCONN has 15 more scholarships this year than Union (National Champions). UCONN has 15 more scholarships than Harvard (Ranked #9 in country). Next year UCONN will have 18 more scholarships than those schools. Also UCONN dosent sell the Freita's Arena to their recruits (hopefully they don' but again nothing would surprise me now) they sell the XL Center like last night's crowd of 6,500. The XL has been a great place to play with the crowds,the building, new locker room for UConn Mens only hockey team, overall environment etc... Freita's is strictly a practice facility which is a hell of a lot nicer than where BC practices at Cleveland Circle (which isn't) on campus.
Stop with all your excuses you sound like one of those parents who always made excuses when their kids got in trouble. It was never their kids fault but someone elses.

Reaction Score
I sure do UCONN has 15 more scholarships this year than Yale (National Champions). UCONN has 15 more scholarships this year than Union (National Champions). UCONN has 15 more scholarships than Harvard (Ranked #9 in country). Next year UCONN will have 18 more scholarships than those schools. Also UCONN dosent sell the Freita's Arena to their recruits (hopefully they don' but again nothing would surprise me now) they sell the XL Center like last night's crowd of 6,500. The XL has been a great place to play with the crowds,the building, new locker room for UConn Mens only hockey team, overall environment etc... Freita's is strictly a practice facility which is a hell of a lot nicer than where BC practices at Cleveland Circle (which isn't) on campus.
Stop with all your excuses you sound like one of those parents who always made excuses when their kids got in trouble. It was never their kids fault but someone elses.
I'm not making excuses..I'm living in reality. Reality of a school that didn't recruit at a HE level. Fact of the matter is a majority of the kids Marshall and Berard recruited to play at UConn in the AHA couldn't have made a HE team as a walk-on. But then again you say College Hockey is College Hockey and the AHA is as good a conference as the ECAC or HE. Keep up the Anti-Cav rhetoric though..it is thoroughly enjoyable!

Reaction Score
I actually followed the team a bit in AHA days and given the limitations they had Bruce didn't do a terrible job in keeping the program at least competitive. In d3 days he actually did a fine job. But the typical way they recruited was to bring in 10-12 guys every year and see who made it. They had a few nice players but never really had enough to compete with the full scholarship programs when it counted.

By the way Harvard/Yale may not give scholarships but on the other hand the base tuition on family income ...and they are Harvard and Yale for heaven sake. And they've played at this level forever. UConn was d3 in hockey playing outdoors while those places were playing for NCAA titles and turning out Olympians.

Reaction Score
I actually followed the team a bit in AHA days and given the limitations they had Bruce didn't do a terrible job in keeping the program at least competitive. In d3 days he actually did a fine job. But the typical way they recruited was to bring in 10-12 guys every year and see who made it. They had a few nice players but never really had enough to compete with the full scholarship programs when it counted.

By the way Harvard/Yale may not give scholarships but on the other hand the base tuition on family income ...and they are Harvard and Yale for heaven sake. And they've played at this level forever. UConn was d3 in hockey playing outdoors while those places were playing for NCAA titles and turning out Olympians.
Ben Kirtland then Bruce had some really good teams when they played in D-3...I stopped following them really close in 1999 when Ingot hired by the FDNY and moved south. Playing games at the XL Center made it easy to go to games. That old rink was the best...that's where I learned to play hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom