Article on TN first day of practice | The Boneyard

Article on TN first day of practice

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Lady Vols Hold First Practice Of 2018-19 - University of Tennessee

On what she prioritizes with official practices starting:
"We've got to make layups. We've got to make free throws. We've got to cut down on turnovers, and we've got to play solid defense. The rebounding aspect is huge. If we focus on those things, everything else will take care of itself."

Same old strategy - some things never change in Knoxville.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
I think in the post. A lot will be how Kushkituah has developed. The guard play should be fine. Not having to rely on a true freshman PG.

Reaction Score

"We've got to make layups. We've got to make free throws. We've got to cut down on turnovers, and we've got to play solid defense. The rebounding aspect is huge. If we focus on those things, everything else will take care of itself."

That’s everyone’s strategy.

Reaction Score

Outside of making 3s, what else could she prioritize?

Reaction Score
Wait, so in 2 early paragraphs they talk about the 4 key players returning and the 5 newcomers. But NO mention of the other 2 returnees, including 1 who might have an important role?

Nice.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Outside of making 3s, what else could she prioritize?

Any or all of: learning to run an offense; executing against zone defenses; making better decisions with the basketball; better shot selection...

These all come to mind pretty quickly based on the last few year's of watching them.

These are table stakes - do you think Geno priorities layups and free throws when practice starts? If you don't make layups and free throws, you are not going to see much playing time.

I think this is just more evidence that the TN style of play is not evolving to keep up with the way the game is played today..

Reaction Score

Isn't this every teams focus?!?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Any or all of: learning to run an offense; executing against zone defenses; making better decisions with the basketball; better shot selection...

These all come to mind pretty quickly based on the last few year's of watching them.

These are table stakes - do you think Geno priorities layups and free throws when practice starts? If you don't make layups and free throws, you are not going to see much playing time.

I think this is just more evidence that the TN style of play is not evolving to keep up with the way the game is played today..
I would add playing with pace on both ends of the floor, better and quicker ball movement on offense, how to properly run a fast break, how to play under control yet with pace, understanding your offensive options from every position on the floor, reading your teammates, when and how to switch on defense, keeping your mark in front of you, when to jump the lanes, better conditioning, more communication on both end, blocking out, footwork in the lane, and oh so much more. For freshmen the first few practices are a crash course in playing at the next level.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I would add playing with pace on both ends of the floor, better and quicker ball movement on offense, how to properly run a fast break, how to play under control yet with pace, understanding your offensive options from every position on the floor, reading your teammates, when and how to switch on defense, keeping your mark in front of you, when to jump the lanes, better conditioning, more communication on both end, blocking out, footwork in the lane, and oh so much more. For freshmen the first few practices are a crash course in playing at the next level.[/QUOTE

You are trying to get H. Warwick confused.

Reaction Score

1. "We've got to make layups." - This is something that each player should take care of outside of practice. A waste of practice time

2. "We've got to make free throws." See above answer

3. "We've got to cut down on turnovers, That comes from perfect execution that comes from repetition in practice. Time wasted on layup drills and free throw shooting takes away from execution.

4. We've got to play solid defense. - Tenn's defense hasn't changed since at least 1995, when I first watched. Pressure the ball full court and overplay passing lanes. The changes in rules against contact hurt that defensive strategy. But Warlick is wedded to Pat's style.

5. The rebounding aspect is huge. Sure is. I remember a time when late in games Tenn got as many offensive rebounds as it needed to score and opponents got 1 shot at their end. The days of physically dominating front lines is gone at Rockytop.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Tennessee Guard-Forward Meme Jackson:
On what stands out about this year's team:
"What stands out to me is everyone is working hard. (It's) not just one, two or three people, the whole team is putting in work before and after practice. This summer we played a lot of pick-up, so that's just something new to me that we haven't done in the past."

Reaction Score
1. "We've got to make layups." - This is something that each player should take care of outside of practice. A waste of practice time

2. "We've got to make free throws." See above answer

3. "We've got to cut down on turnovers, That comes from perfect execution that comes from repetition in practice. Time wasted on layup drills and free throw shooting takes away from execution.

4. We've got to play solid defense. - Tenn's defense hasn't changed since at least 1995, when I first watched. Pressure the ball full court and overplay passing lanes. The changes in rules against contact hurt that defensive strategy. But Warlick is wedded to Pat's style.

5. The rebounding aspect is huge. Sure is. I remember a time when late in games Tenn got as many offensive rebounds as it needed to score and opponents got 1 shot at their end. The days of physically dominating front lines is gone at Rockytop.

Alydar very good post..... you hit it on the head..... the old Geno adage.... "do it repeatedly until you cannot get it wrong"..... if I was on their staff, I would work also on consistency it has been a constant problem for quite a while

Reaction Score
Tennessee Guard-Forward Meme Jackson:
On what stands out about this year's team:
"What stands out to me is everyone is working hard. (It's) not just one, two or three people, the whole team is putting in work before and after practice. This summer we played a lot of pick-up, so that's just something new to me that we haven't done in the past."

And yet every summer for the last umpteen years we have been told how everyone is in the gym and that the players are working hard.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, greater emphasis should be made on:
-running offensive plays involving picks, cuts and dribble penetration
-shot selection
-staying active at all times and finding ways to contribute rather than standing and watching
-mid range and perimeter shooting
-breaking a zone defense (after watching games the past 3 years, any coach that doesn't implement zone against Tennessee should be fired on the spot)

I hate to say it, but I'm expecting more of the same until we see any improvement from the 5 points above.

This year will be very telling for Holly IMO. This team is, on paper, the least talented roster she's worked with. There is no standout interior player for the first time possibly ever in Tennessee history, the lineup will be all first and 2nd year players besides Jackson, and talent wise the roster doesn't stack up to the squads she's put together the last 5-6 years. I'm preparing for a rough season....she has her work cut out for her.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
And yet every summer for the last umpteen years we have been told how everyone is in the gym and that the players are working hard.
We have not seen this team play yet. Yes we have seen some of the players not the team.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think we're all being a little tough on HW and the Lady Vols. Practice has just started and hope springs eternal for every team in the country, including Tennessee. Do we really want HW to confess to the cold hard truth? "We really don't know exactly what we're doing, but we sure do hope that somehow we can do it better this season...."

Reaction Score
Tennessee should be stronger this year but as always I’m gonna have to watch them first.

Westbrook and Davis are poised for a huge jump and all the talk on campus is about Meme Jackson and her improvement. She showed flashes of greatness with her superior athleticism just has to make it consistent. Cheridene Green and Kushkituah are two of the most physical posts in the SEC, and both played behind Russell who generally just sat there. Green had some strong numbers in limited time and was playing after a year of sitting out with an ACL injury.

Add in Lou Brown who has played in the youth Australian system her whole life and played well at WSU. Massengill who has always been a high assist low turnover player paired with Zay Green and Rae Burrell two prospects with great upside and added depth, something that foul prone Tennessee did not have last year. In a recent interview Warlick called freshman Amira Collins one of the most physically imposing players she’s ever had.

Again this Tennessee team is wait and see approach. They played more together this summer than they ever have and there are no “ego’s” on the roster as of now. The pieces are there, but do they all fit into the whole unit?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
1539187077110.png

Reaction Score
I would add playing with pace on both ends of the floor, better and quicker ball movement on offense, how to properly run a fast break, how to play under control yet with pace, understanding your offensive options from every position on the floor, reading your teammates, when and how to switch on defense, keeping your mark in front of you, when to jump the lanes, better conditioning, more communication on both end, blocking out, footwork in the lane, and oh so much more. For freshmen the first few practices are a crash course in playing at the next level.
JordyG--Shssssss! Don't tell them ALL of Geno's secrets to success. You did miss: Practice harder than the game, play hard, be a great teammate--darn, I blabbed it all, now Holly will have the top team this year---

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
JordyG--Shssssss! Don't tell them ALL of Geno's secrets to success. You did miss: Practice harder than the game, play hard, be a great teammate--darn, I blabbed it all, now Holly will have the top team this year---
Not

A

Chance. Not this year, or the next or any thereafter. Water (Aqua-foliaceae) finds its own level.

stwainfan

Faithful LV Enthusiast
Reaction Score
One thing I'm hearing. Is that Zay Green. How athletic she is. That it will be hard to keep her on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom