Article on Best All Time Transfers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Article on Best All Time Transfers

Status
Not open for further replies.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
I felt like Shonn Miller wa a major contributor. he was like a breath of fresh air, reliable front court player. And I also thought sterling Gibbs had some memorable moments and clutched a lot of close games.
Grad transfers are just not good for developing programs though.

Reaction Score
Did Chuck at 50+, play in a pick up game at the local Y? Or, for an old timers game at the BB Hall of Fame court in Hartford?

Where did you see him play?

Do they have old timers games for basketball anywhere? They used to have them for baseball.

If they have them, does anyone have a video of the action they could share on the BY?
He used to play in the over 30 league in Litchfield a very long time ago.

Reaction Score
Man, what I would have given if we could’ve cloned Shonn Miller a few times. He was very good, but he was an absolute revelation here as we sorely lacked that element and really didn’t get it again until Whaley emerged last year.

Nelson’s first year of eligibility coincided with my freshman year and I remember the hilariously wild hype that he had. I can only imagine how that would have been amplified with social media
Ed Nelson was ACC rookie of the year. Maryland and Duke were great that year but the rest of the league stunk. Ed was a pretty good player but UConn had the most loaded frontcourt in the nation.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
I don't know. I guess it depends substantially on what the actual question is.
Who'd I like the most to watch as a player? Maybe Selvie.
Who was the best athlete? Maybe Q. Great Q moment. He scores on a tough reverse, fouls on the other end, comes back and hits a 3, intercepts a pass and gets a lay in, loses his guy for a lay in, turns the ball over then steals it back - Rafftery then says, "Montquencio is one of those rare players who can keep both teams in the game at the same time. " Oh lord, I remember spitting out my drink at that.
Who wrote the best pickup truck songs? Clearly Ed.
Who had the greatest UConn spirit? That'd be Rodney.

But who contributed the most to the program, as a whole?

Without Kromah we don't get #4, so, for me, I go with Kromah for that answer.
Kromah was, iirc, 1st off the bench for much of the year, and the started in place of Omar after Omar hit the wall. Giffey took his place in March, but Kromah gave us quality, intense D every game, rebounded hard, and was a decent scoring threat. He also almost never made a bad play to kill momentum - heady with the ball.

The two plays that Kromah made, in the NC game, that will be forever burned into my brain are:

1. Dude comes down in traffic at the Kentucky end with a hand on the ball that a Kentucky player (maybe a twin) has in both hands, directly over his head. Kromah, from an awkward angle, maintains one hand on the ball, all the way to the floor. Ref blows a tie up - OUR ball. Announcers at first think it's a plain foul. I recall Greg Anthony (?) watching the replay and remarking, "no, that's a tie up." Huge, huge play.

2. Late in the game, late in the shot clock, Kentucky sends Kromah's defender to double Bazz at the point. Bazz rifles a pass to Kromah, who has Poythrees (?) coming at him with his 48" vertical. What does the vet do? He pump fakes Porythrees into the air, causing contact the ref must call. He then calmly drills two free throws.

You can trade the rest, and I'm not sure it affects our 4 Natties. No Kromah, we're stuck on 3.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be shocked if Martin/Cole end up at or near the top.

Right now, I'd go with Purvis but my personal favorites are Shonn Miller and Lasan Kromah.

Tarin Smith and RJ Evans were perfect grad transfers. Depth players who knew their role and helped develop the "culture" of the program.

Reaction Score
Searched and found the same link.

"While at UConn, Spider’s first year was with head coach Dom Perno. The next year was Coach Calhoun’s first year. While at UConn Spider enjoyed beating Syracuse at the Syracuse Dome, being co-captain of the team, having a 20-win season, and winning the NIT Championship his senior year."

Reaction Score
Definitely Jimmy Foster, but what about Skinner Frederick and Ray Broxton?
would say 3 of top 4 for if jc transfers only. Good players, belong on that list.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would tend to agree. Nadav probably had as big an impact on the program as any player, transfer or other, ever.

My only question would be if he entered UConn as a freshman. If he did he wasn't a transfer.
The Dove was only eligible to play one year so let's say he entered as a senior. :cool:

Wasn't a transfer.
No, he wasn't. He did arrive after playing post high school ball elsewhere and since there wasn't a thread entitled "best all time Israeli former professional basketball players to play at UConn," I threw his hat into the ring.

Reaction Score
As a side note, I was wondering what ever happened to Kenny Scott, transfer from Tulane 1985. Played one season. Can't find much on him, but this is worth a chuckle if it is about him. The link says he is from Darlaston, England.

"Jim Calhoun was apparently referring to him in his book "Dare To Dream" when he wrote of meeting with the returning UConn players upon taking the head coaching job at UConn in 1986:
Another kid, I can't remember his name, sort of a funny kid from England, nice but very lazy, came equipped with suggestions.
"Here's what I think we should be doing at UConn," he said.
"We?" I said.
"Yes, here are some things I think we should change...."
The change was him. Gone."

UConn Huskies Stats - Kenny Scott (huskieshoops.com)

Reaction Score
The Dove was only eligible to play one year so let's say he entered as a senior. :cool:

No, he wasn't. He did arrive after playing post high school ball elsewhere and since there wasn't a thread entitled "best all time Israeli former professional basketball players to play at UConn," I threw his hat into the ring.
Definitely one of the best freshman UConn has ever had, I wonder what could've been if he stayed.

Reaction Score
easily Jimmy Foster. he was way ahead of uconn bb during the 70s. In the BC game the refs took foster out with quick fouls in the first half. BV+C first 16 points were from the foul line.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Just picked up a 12 week digital sub for 99 cents total. Not per week. No brainier.

And I just saved money on car insurance by switching to Geico.

Reaction Score
greatest 5 seconds I ever saw was in the 70s NIT Rodney Bass enters the game and scores on a layup. He was fouled and hit the natural 3. He then raced in and stole the inbound pas. hit the layup and was fouled again. 6 points in 5 seconds. of course, dee row pulled him. never to be seen again

Reaction Score
greatest 5 seconds I ever saw was in the 70s NIT Rodney Bass enters the game and scores on a layup. He was fouled and hit the natural 3. He then raced in and stole the inbound pas. hit the layup and was fouled again. 6 points in 5 seconds. of course, dee row pulled him. never to be seen again

Rodney was a physical speciman, 6-4, 200+, all muscle. I once watched hm drink a pitcher of beer at Rap's Delicatessen in just a few seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom