Article: College Basketball's 25 Best Gigs | The Boneyard

Article: College Basketball's 25 Best Gigs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Really? That's the most insightful thing he could say about UConn as a "gig"?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They're running out of ideas for lists.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Maryland just went through a coaching search. I'd like to hear how the fact they got their eighth choice means this is a top-20 coaching job in America

Reaction Score
Just ripped into this guys list in his comments section. Main point: 5 obvious teams that have no business being in front of us (clearly more), Illinois, Maryland, Memphis, Cuse, Texas, have 2 combined titles. How many do we have again??? Also pointed out how while our hyperlocal talent is bad, the NEPSAC is the top prep league in the country, and right in our teritorry.

Reaction Score
Just ripped into this guys list in his comments section. Main point: 5 obvious teams that have no business being in front of us (clearly more), Illinois, Maryland, Memphis, Cuse, Texas, have 2 combined titles. How many do we have again??? Also pointed out how while our hyperlocal talent is bad, the NEPSAC is the top prep league in the country, and right in our teritorry.

Doesn't the very first qualifier on the list say they're not talking about the best teams?

Texas should be number one, no question. You get paid huge money, you're surrounded by in-state talent, you can live in a cool town, you have amazing facilities, and the best part is that thanks to football no one gives a sh it how many games you win.

Reaction Score
Doesn't the very first qualifier on the list say they're not talking about the best teams?

Texas should be number one, no question. You get paid huge money, you're surrounded by in-state talent, you can live in a cool town, you have amazing facilities, and the best part is that thanks to football no one gives a sh it how many games you win.
That last part explains why Rick Barnes is still around

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score

It also says they're not specifically talking about tradition ... in which case Georgetown, unless your name ends in "Thompson the 4th", is at the bottom of 'n barrel.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score

Memphis should be #1...we pay 2.65 million for one top-25 win.

rimshot.jpg

Reaction Score

I was going to say the same exact thing except for Texas should be ahead of UConn and Georgetown shouldn't.

Texas has everything you need to be successful. Watch when they hire a new coach. If they pick the right guy they'll be very good.

Georgetown is not a great job. It's a relatively small private school without huge resources.

Illinois? Is that a joke?

Reaction Score
Illinois is a recruiting hotbed, huge resources, great facilities, great conference.
Puzzling why they can't win.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Somewhat topic related...

Josh Pastner announced today he will donate $250,000 to Memphis athletics to the thank the city, university, and fans for taking a chance on him as head coach...Josh just keeps on impressing me.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2013/dec/12/university-memphis-announce-donation-josh-pastner/

Jeff Borzello @jeffborzello
Memphis coach Josh Pastner made a $250,000 donation to the athletic department, the school announced. Largest "gift" by a Memphis coach.
Seems to me to be a PR move so that he keeps in everyone's good graces and they don't recognize that he isn't exactly earning that huge paycheck he gets. You have to admit he's way overpaid for what he delivers.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
Seems to me to be a PR move so that he keeps in everyone's good graces and they don't recognize that he isn't exactly earning that huge paycheck he gets. You have to admit he's way overpaid for what he delivers.

He's earned his paycheck by being amazing at PR...keeping us in the NCAAs good graces while on probation...maintaining an APR of 1000...and winning 112 games at a 76% clip in his short career.

not bad for a 36 year old.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
I'm totally ok with the top 13 (and yes, Cuse is a pretty good gig if we take our UConn glasses off...). That being said, UConn should be 14 at worst. There is no argument in the universe to be made that Memphis or Illinois are ahead of UConn, and there is a good argument to be made that UConn is ahead of Maryland and Georgetown.

Reaction Score
He's earned his paycheck by being amazing at PR...keeping us in the NCAAs good graces while on probation...maintaining an APR of 1000...and winning 112 games at a 76% clip in his short career.

not bad for a 36 year old.
If you're fine with what Pastner has done at Memphis to get a new 7 year contract in the $2.2 to $2.5 million a year range then I don't know what else to say except that I guess most Memphis fans and the AD there have lower expectations than I do.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
If you're fine with what Pastner has done at Memphis to get a new 7 year contract in the $2.2 to $2.5 million a year range then I don't know what else to say except that I guess most Memphis fans and the AD there have lower expectations than I do.

7 years, 2.65 million per year.

We have very high expectations but also understand we hired a 31 year old with zero head coaching experience...if he's this good now, how good will he be 5 years from now? We're investing in our own future.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
7 years, 2.65 million per year.

We have very high expectations but also understand we hired a 31 year old with zero head coaching experience...if he's this good now, how good will he be 5 years from now? We're investing in our own future.
That's nuts, but it's not your money. He's been a decent recruiter with excellent facilities and no academic restrictions. Nobody pays a coach 2 million a year to learn on the job.

UofMemphis

MemphisTigers.org
Reaction Score
"That's nuts, but it's not your money."

Exactly, his base salary is only $190,000 the rest comes from boosters and they love him...they envision him spending his career here and gave him a contract to meet that goal.

Reaction Score
-Hmmmm. So strange being a Memphis fan now.
I want you guys to kick ass- I just hope he learns how to be a game time coach - sometimes I think he can not find his own locker room let along what pay to call next. There are expectations in Memphis -unlike Texas -and he will have the toughest challenge yet this year playing us, Lville, Cinnci, SMU. No more cupcake diet during the reg season, He will either shine or crumble.

Reaction Score
"That's nuts, but it's not your money."

Exactly, his base salary is only $190,000 the rest comes from boosters and they love him...they envision him spending his career here and gave him a contract to meet that goal.
You just proved my initial point. Have to stay in the good graces of the boosters. Usually winning provides that but in Pastner's case winning the right games isn't there yet. Maybe it'll come. Just that he's been given a huge contract based on what I would call under achievement in the big games and in the post season. If that continues for a while usually fans get restless, no matter how much they like a coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom