Article: Big East Predictions | The Boneyard

Article: Big East Predictions

Reaction Score
This guy predicts us to finish 6th place in the Big East next season. Has Butler at 5th. St John’s at a very surprising 3rd place. And Seton Hall and Xavier ahead of us as well.

I think 6th is our floor next year. I think 2nd is probably our ceiling and that we likely fall somewhere in between.

It is a well written article and a fun read bc it breaks down each team’s roster but I definitely disagree with this guys take.

Big East Basketball: Way-too-early power rankings for 2021-22 season

Reaction Score
I have seen a few articles this year that are really high on Butler and I just don’t understand it. They pretty much have the same team they had last year. You can add a couple of points because they have all of their 5th years back, but I can’t see how that makes them jump from 10th to 5th.

Definitely agree to disagree on that one. I like Butler and I have nothing against them at all, but i’ll believe they’re a top half team in the league when I see it.

Reaction Score
Guard RJ Cole and wing Tyrese Martin will be the leading pieces, while top-50 freshman Rahsool Diggins will be depended on having an impact in the rotation.

While I’m high on Diggins long-term, I do believe that UConn takes a bit of a step back next season now that all the games will be played.

I think Hawkins will have more of an impact in the rotation because his skillset is more needed on this roster. But Hawkins isn't mentioned at all in the article.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have seen a few articles this year that are really high on Butler and I just don’t understand it. They pretty much have the same team they had last year. You can add a couple of points because they have all of their 5th years back, but I can’t see how that makes them jump from 10th to 5th.

Definitely agree to disagree on that one. I like Butler and I have nothing against them at all, but i’ll believe they’re a top half team in the league when I see it.
They bring back everyone from a terrible team. Not impressed either

Reaction Score
Right…. I see how you can put Villanova 1st because they bring back almost everyone from a great team.

I don’t get why people think Butler is going to be all that great because they bring back everyone from the second worst team in the league. Like I said, i’ll believe it when I see it.

Reaction Score
This guy predicts us to finish 6th place in the Big East next season. Has Butler at 5th. St John’s at a very surprising 3rd place. And Seton Hall and Xavier ahead of us as well.

I think 6th is our floor next year. I think 2nd is probably our ceiling and that we likely fall somewhere in between.

It is a well written article and a fun read bc it breaks down each team’s roster but I definitely disagree with this guys take.

Big East Basketball: Way-too-early power rankings for 2021-22 season

The defense is going to be even better than it was last year (Akok coming back, Bouknight while a driving force on offense was not essential on defense). Should be top 20 defense.

I have our floor at 5th and the bubble if the offense does not improve one iota from what we saw in January and February in Bouknight's absence.

Gotta think that an entire offseason to practice, growth from young guys, synergy of no roster turnover, and addition of offensive minded coach Murray get offense to be top 40-50 which is all that is required. Anything better you're talking about a deep tourney run.

I have the Big East as five NCAA caliber teams (Nova, UConn, Xavier, Seton Hall, St. John's if Champagnie returns), then a drop off of teams that could surprise (Providence, Butler, Creighton, SJU if Champagnie doesn't return) and then the work in progress (Georgetown, Marquette, DePaul).

Reaction Score
Guard RJ Cole and wing Tyrese Martin will be the leading pieces, while top-50 freshman Rahsool Diggins will be depended on having an impact in the rotation.

While I’m high on Diggins long-term, I do believe that UConn takes a bit of a step back next season now that all the games will be played.

I think Hawkins will have more of an impact in the rotation because his skillset is more needed on this roster. But Hawkins isn't mentioned at all in the article.
If that projection turns out right, 6th is about right. And it will be a massive step backwards for this program. After the New Big East euphoria, a 6 th place finish will mean there will be lots of seats available on the secondary market

Reaction Score
Wow, this guy puts St John's at #3 in the conference?!

If UConn ends up 6th, this would indicate the team underperformed AND the league overall is much better than most prognosticators believe.

My tourney qualifiers prediction as of June,
Nova
UConn
Xavier
Seton Hall
Butler

Reaction Score
if tyrese is a leading piece then yeah we are screwed but i don't think he even a lock to start nvm our second best player. article only mentions sanogo as a depth piece lol.
If tyrese and I’d add Cole are leading scorers we‘re screwed. Both nice pieces but they can’t be leading scorers and go-to-guys when we need a shot in crunch time.

Hoping Gaffney can make a big leap (he’s really talented) so Cole could eventually be a John Gwynn microwave off the bench. Probably not happening (Cole moving to bench) but his lack of speed and athleticism but good shot making make him perfect for a Lou Williams role off the bench.

hoping tyrese is a 5th or 6th option. Just not a good enough shooter for a wing and total inability to finish. But tons of grit and a great, great rebounder. Always a role for a guy like that.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
St Johns may not be #3 but they will be at least on the bubble - bringing in some talent

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
If tyrese and I’d add Cole are leading scorers we‘re screwed. Both nice pieces but they can’t be leading scorers and go-to-guys when we need a shot in crunch time.

Hoping Gaffney can make a big leap (he’s really talented) so Cole could eventually be a John Gwynn microwave off the bench. Probably not happening (Cole moving to bench) but his lack of speed and athleticism but good shot making make him perfect for a Lou Williams role off the bench.

hoping tyrese is a 5th or 6th option. Just not a good enough shooter for a wing and total inability to finish. But tons of grit and a great, great rebounder. Always a role for a guy like that.
Gaffney and Jackson are high major guys. Cole and Martin mid major guys. This isn’t high school. Who cares what grade you are. Send the best guys out there

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
They're assuming Champagnie is coming back. I would have them in the top 5 (probably #4) if he does as well. But he's going to the combine, so we'll see what happens there.
Imo champagnie would be silly not to come back. He could put himself in a way better spot if he has a big junior year. He'll get stuck In the d league web if he leaves now

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score

Butlers played well at the end of the season, they really should have ask NZE to move on though. Myles Tate and Chuck Harris came into their own as well, if they continue on the tragectory they showed they're going to he a real problem and have games where they dominate. They also bring back golden who started to look good, and a couple of seniors which will end up being huge. Basically they have seniors with two rising stars, who if you believe in Tate in Harris this team will be fringe tournament team but will make conference play interesting

Reaction Score
Butlers played well at the end of the season, they really should have ask NZE to move on though. Myles Tate and Chuck Harris came into their own as well, if they continue on the tragectory they showed they're going to he a real problem and have games where they dominate. They also bring back golden who started to look good, and a couple of seniors which will end up being huge. Basically they have seniors with two rising stars, who if you believe in Tate in Harris this team will be fringe tournament team but will make conference play interesting
I definitely agree that they are a team that can make things interesting because they are not an easy team to play on the road at all

Reaction Score
"Terrible" is too strong, but a team with an 8-12 record returning all of its players doesn't excite me as a prognosticator.

However, IF Chuck Harris becomes their alpha-guard in his second year and the returning guards take a bit of a step back (if I'm a Butler fan, I'm rooting for that), real growth is certainly possible.

But as long as Aaron Thompson is a literal non-factor behind the arc (FIVE 3PA last season), I don't see this offense making a major jump this year. Their "meh" defense (bottom third in opponent fg% and turnover rate) isn't going to get much better w/ the same squad.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It is so hard to predict anything for next season given all the player movement, that a team like Butler that is returning a lot of players seems like a reasonably safe bet to improve in the standings. I thought Butler was a reasonably well-coached if unathletic and slow team last season, but maybe a year of experience results in more decisive play by the team.

Given all the player movement, coaching is going to have a huge impact, which is why I like Marquette to have a reasonably good season.

Reaction Score
Gaffney and Jackson are high major guys. Cole and Martin mid major guys. This isn’t high school. Who cares what grade you are. Send the best guys out there

Wow not sure what you saw last year. Cole was our best guard consistently minus Bouk and it actually wasn’t close. Martin was our best rebounder and was active on both ends. Jackson was in foul trouble and can’t shoot a lick for now. So if we’re throwing guys out there who will help us win I’m going with your “mid major” guys and it’s not close! Can it change heck yeah. But didn’t see enough to know it will no matter what grade.

Reaction Score
Cole is limited. So is Martin. The other two are superior athletes but need to show they are superior basketball players. Which they have not done to dare.

Reaction Score
I think top half of the Big East is guaranteed. Should be a very good defensive team. Offense is still a question but I'm feeling decent about it. Sanogo should be looking at 20 and 10 looking at the bigs in the conference for this season.

Reaction Score
I think top half of the Big East is guaranteed. Should be a very good defensive team. Offense is still a question but I'm feeling decent about it. Sanogo should be looking at 20 and 10 looking at the bigs in the conference for this season.
Emeka was 17.5-11+ his last year
Tough for a five to average 20 because of :
Limited minutes due to fatigue usually
25-30 is optimal.
Also :
Foul trouble is always an issue with Bigs
They are also easily doubled.
If he is 10-15 and I’m happy
doubling rebounds is more doable
For reference :
Thabeet 13.6 / 10.8
Carlton was 9-6 his best year