Article about Skyler Diggins | The Boneyard

Article about Skyler Diggins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought this was an interesting article and one others here might enjoy as well. It profiles Skyler Diggins both on and off the court and discusses the attention she's bringing to the game. As an example of the latter, it says she had 5,000 Twitter followers before the NCAA tournament last year. By the final game, she had 60,000 (yes, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown are referenced), and she's more than doubled that number since then. Skyler and Serena Williams are the only two female athletes who have a ranking on TweetsCentral (I'm not familiar with it), and they are #5 and #13 respectively. Not bad for a college athlete!

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/womens-basketball/news?slug=ap-skysthelimit

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Notre Dame’s only loss this year came last month at top-ranked Baylor. If the Irish keep winning—they host No. 2 Connecticut on Jan. 7 in a rematch of last season’s national semifinal—the expectations, not to mention the attention, will surely grow.

I thought that was a most interesting quote in the article about Skyler Diggins. Is the implication that Notre Dame might lose again, or that they are sure to beat #2 and raise expectations? Or is it just the writer pointing to a very big game? ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
As an example of the latter, it says she had 5,000 Twitter followers before the NCAA tournament last year. By the final game, she had 60,000 (yes, Lil Wayne and Chris Brown are referenced), and she's more than doubled that number since then.
Exactly why some coaches are banning their kids from using Twitter.

Reaction Score
Coaches are banning Twitter because they don't have athletes mature enough to not embarrass themselves or their school's program. The banning started when players started complaining about their coaches in social media, not because it took their attention away from basketball. If you follow Diggins Twitter feeds you'd know she represents herself and ND well. The subjects, language used, and references are of a positive manner. ND and McGraw have been proactive in making sure Diggins understands the responsibility and dangers involved with social media. The required media training the athletes receive had basically taken care of that from the beginning.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Coaches are banning Twitter because they don't have athletes mature enough to not embarrass themselves or their school's program. The banning started when players started complaining about their coaches in social media, not because it took their attention away from basketball. If you follow Diggins Twitter feeds you'd know she represents herself and ND well. The subjects, language used, and references are of a positive manner. ND and McGraw have been proactive in making sure Diggins understands the responsibility and dangers involved with social media. The required media training the athletes receive had basically taken care of that from the beginning.
I do have Skylar on follow. Your statement is not provable as why coaches do or do not ban kids from using Twitter or Facebook since it is highly likely numerous coaches have varying reasons. What is provable is that having any player followed even by 5000 followers let alone 60,000 is a high risk proposition since even one small indiscrete comment has the potential for major consequences. The risk/reward is simply too high.

Reaction Score
Exactly why some coaches are banning their kids from using Twitter.
Amen Ice. I was reading this thread and was going to comment against this being part of team policy,certainly during the season!
It has already gotten out of hand on so many levels. If I am Geno,it is NO!!!! I am not saying you cannot communicate with your
friends and family. I say NO! This is why coaches are careful with reporters etal
I am fuming thinking of this!:mad:

Reaction Score
lmao Look around you,classmates,workmates,friends,strangers,read about it. All of this has gotten out of hand.
I include cell phones in the mix. Technological madness.

Reaction Score
I do have Skylar on follow. Your statement is not provable as why coaches do or do not ban kids from using Twitter or Facebook since it is highly likely numerous coaches have varying reasons. What is provable is that having any player followed even by 5000 followers let alone 60,000 is a high risk proposition since even one small indiscrete comment has the potential for major consequences. The risk/reward is simply too high.

Arguably, though, it does increase the exposure of--and interest-in women's hoops.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think a lot coaches who ban twitter during the season simply don't want the risk of distraction, on top of the headache of having someone monitor their student-athletes' accounts. additionally, they may feel it's an all-or-none deal, I.e. some of their kids can handle it responsibly and some can't, and so it's easier to implement an across-the-board policy.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
This raises the issue of any exposure being good exposure. Skylar is a pop sensation. She is not the biggest thing in women's basketball. Diana, Catch, Britney, and Maya are among those ahead of her.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think a lot coaches who ban twitter during the season simply don't want the risk of distraction, on top of the headache of having someone monitor their student-athletes' accounts. additionally, they may feel it's an all-or-none deal, I.e. some of their kids can handle it responsibly and some can't, and so it's easier to implement an across-the-board policy.
Bingo.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
I'll 2nd Icebear's "bingo" of Alex's post. The players are all on schollies, making the relationship with their respective schools a contractual/business relationship. As such, all media needs to be controlled by staff. Twitter being a social media (emphasis on 'media'), is no exception.

I accept Muffet's assessment of Diggins being a terrific kid, student and teammate. She's not necessarily the best athlete or most gifted player on the court at any given time, but she's one hell of a competitor with superb leadership skills and talent.

That said, the downside of the over-hype surrounding her physical beauty and the anticipation/expectation of ND winning a championship under her guidance, is that ND comes up short in their quest (UConn having a lot to say about that) and Diggins becomes wcbb's Anna Kournikova.

I suppose worse things could happen. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul