Article: AAC ratifies plan to split realignment funds | The Boneyard

Article: AAC ratifies plan to split realignment funds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.orlandosentinel.com/spor...pring-meetings--0522-20130521,0,7920284.story
The American's revenue from the Big East is still unclear, but it reportedly could be up to $100 million. Stansbury said the revenue will be awarded during a four- to five-year period.

Cincinnati, UConn and USF would split the 60 percent portion, while UCF, Tulane, SMU, Houston, Memphis, East Carolina, Tulsa, Temple and Navy would split the other portion when they are active members of the league. It is unclear whether Louisville and Rutgers, which remain in the league for one more year, will receive any of the portion when they are active members.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is a bit of a joke as the parameters should have been set for entry into the league for at least the latest entries.

Tulane and Tulsa shouldn't get a cent. I'd love to hear how they were harmed with the departures since they would still be in CUSA if they didn't happen.

Reaction Score
This is a bit of a joke as the parameters should have been set for entry into the league for at least the latest entries.

Tulane and Tulsa shouldn't get a cent. I'd love to hear how they were harmed with the departures since they would still be in CUSA if they didn't happen.

?Navy? They aren't even here yet - same with ECU and Tulsa but at least they are "coming" in 2014 - Navy is 2015 and I'm still not convinced they come.

I'll believe the breakdown by school when I see it...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
?Navy? They aren't even here yet - same with ECU and Tulsa but at least they are "coming" in 2014 - Navy is 2015 and I'm still not convinced they come.

I'll believe the breakdown by school when I see it...

Navy was at least committed before some teams left.

I didn't think Navy was coming either but they recommitted after they had the opportunity to bail so why would they quit now.

Reaction Score
Navy was at least committed before some teams left.

I didn't think Navy was coming either but they recommitted after they had the opportunity to bail so why would they quit now.

Because nothing seems to happen as planned around here and two years seems like a long way away. I hope they follow through...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I can see the theory that giving Uconn/Cincy/USF about $20 mil vice $30 mil gives more money to the newer schools to boost their programs which helps the conference overall.

Reaction Score
I can see the theory that giving Uconn/Cincy/USF about $20 mil vice $30 mil gives more money to the newer schools to boost their programs which helps the conference overall.
I dont want them to boost their programs. I want to have every conceivable financial advantage over them.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I dont want them to boost their programs. I want to have every conceivable financial advantage over them.

The second degree effect of more good programs is that it benefits Uconn by having a higher strength of schedule and helps the conference secure the at-large BCS bid. Which is really what this is all about.

The AAC can't afford to have Memphis be a sh-thole team like BCU, Wake, Indiana or some of the other major conference dregs.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The second degree effect of more good programs is that it benefits Uconn by having a higher strength of schedule and helps the conference secure the at-large BCS bid. Which is really what this is all about.

The AAC can't afford to have Memphis be a sh-thole team like BCU, Wake, Indiana or some of the other major conference dregs.

You have to go undefeated before you worry about SOS.... Cross the schedule bridge when you get there.

It's maybe 40 million to 9 teams over multiple years. It won't make a damn bit of difference to how bad Memphis and Tulane are.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm only interested in this conference to the extent that UConn dominates it. I want 30 win regular seasons in basketball and nine plus win seasons in football every year. The days of being happy with seven win football seasons and going to a minor bowl are over. Now its nine win seasons and minor bowls or bust!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm only interested in this conference to the extent that UConn dominates it. I want 30 win regular seasons in basketball and nine plus win seasons in football every year. The days of being happy with seven win football seasons and going to a minor bowl are over. Now its nine win seasons and minor bowls or bust!

They are scheduling just tough enough to make those stretch goals.

To go 9-3 in football with Boise and BYU on the schedule is very difficult.

To win 30 basketball games with the OOC games along with Memphis, Cincy and Temple is tough.

Reaction Score
I know those are tough goals, but its time to raise the damn bar around here. I mean were so superior to these guys that we shouldn't be in a conference with them, so we should curb stomping this schedule. I'll excuse a loss to Boise or BYU ocassionally ;)

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I know those are tough goals, but its time to raise the damn bar around here. I mean were so superior to these guys that we shouldn't be in a conference with them, so we should curb stomping this schedule. I'll excuse a loss to Boise or BYU ocassionally ;)

I agree in principle but the conference football schedule contains a lot of schools that aren't pushovers. Cincinnati, Houston, USF, UCF, Tulsa and ECU have legitimate programs. Memphis, Tulane and (for everyone else) Temple may generally roll over but consistently winning 9 games is a pretty solid result. I don't think you can do it with this staff.

Reaction Score
Then this staff's gotta go. At his age P, was only brought in here as a caretaker anyway. At some point in the near future, the school is going to have to go younger and more dynamic regardless of how good or bad the record is.

Reaction Score
how can anyone trust an article that doesn't seem to know that Ville and Rutgers don't get a dime??!! They are PAYING the conference, not the other way around.

Of the $100 million... you have to realize a few things.

1. $10-15m is going to the Catholics
2. $10m or more is going to the conference offices
3. A huge amount ($5m?) is going to the lawyers
4. The new 9 schools are getting $1m each

That leaves $60m for the 3 incumbents.

Also remember:

1. The NCAA gives out credits over many years. Of course the new schools deserve some of those since they have foregone CUSA credits (to the extent they need to get back their CUSA money, which shouldn't be much, they should get it from the AAC).

2. The BCS + bowl money will be $20m+ this year, payable to 8 teams. That's an additional $2.5m for this year only.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
According to thr article in the Courant today regarding the XL Center probably not getting either tourney, it said that UConn, Cincy, and USF will receive about $20 million each. Sorry for no link. On phone....you can see the article on the Courant homepage.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
how can anyone trust an article that doesn't seem to know that Ville and Rutgers don't get a dime??!! They are PAYING the conference, not the other way around.

Of the $100 million... you have to realize a few things.

1. $10-15m is going to the Catholics
2. $10m or more is going to the conference offices
3. A huge amount ($5m?) is going to the lawyers
4. The new 9 schools are getting $1m each

That leaves $60m for the 3 incumbents.

Also remember:

1. The NCAA gives out credits over many years. Of course the new schools deserve some of those since they have foregone CUSA credits (to the extent they need to get back their CUSA money, which shouldn't be much, they should get it from the AAC).

2. The BCS + bowl money will be $20m+ this year, payable to 8 teams. That's an additional $2.5m for this year only.

Rutgers and Louisville may not contest the distribution of exit fee money due to expected future earnings, but they may legally have a right part of the exit fees paid by WVU, Pitt, and Cuse. The entire AAC, including Rutgers and Louisville, will experience similar financial losses next season due to a less lucrative schedule.

However, basketball credits stay with the conference, and Louisville will likely earn the AAC a few more credits next season.

Reaction Score
Rutgers and Louisville may not contest the distribution of exit fee money due to expected future earnings, but they may legally have a right part of the exit fees paid by WVU, Pitt, and Cuse. The entire AAC, including Rutgers and Louisville, will experience similar financial losses next season due to a less lucrative schedule.

However, basketball credits stay with the conference, and Louisville will likely earn the AAC a few more credits next season.

Wrong. It's part of the BE bylaws. No money as soon as you announce intention to leave. You get nada.

Reaction Score
That is not right. Ville Rut. Will earn NCAA credits as a BB member. I expect next year credits will be split 5 ways.

Reaction Score
That is not right. Ville Rut. Will earn NCAA credits as a BB member. I expect next year credits will be split 5 ways.

According to bylaw 11.02 (C), a withdrawing member foregoes all rights to revenue including that earned in prior years on the date of the formal announcement of its withdraw. This includes NCAA credits and distributions.

You literally get nothing once you announce your intention to leave.

Reaction Score

What are you trying to say?

upstater has it. You announce formal intentions to LEAVE ... you forfeit the incoming revenue going forward. Louisville getting some of their EARNED NCAA credits for the National Championship? Not really.

Second ... f+++ this Conference. Presumably, the UConn administration was in their bargaining hard for our share. I don't think we give a frig about pumping up Memphis Football to improve our SOS.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm in the " this conference, I want UConn to dominate" camp. UConn has been passed over by inferior schools enough as it is. If the time ever came when ECU, SMU, and Tulane get invites over us, I'll stop watching sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom