surf's up
Reaction Score
pop art.
Screenshot3.jpg

spiderman-pop-art-artstudione.jpg

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Have always loved the impressionists and if you want a CT connection you can't go wrong with two CT seashore locations:
Cos Cob and Old Lyme both had early 20th century artist colonies - mostly NYC artists who summered on the CT coast.

Old Lyme's Florence Griswold Museum has the additional advantage that her boarders painted panels in her house - 38 in total. The museum has an extensive collection as well.

Cos Cob historical society also has a good collection of artists from that enclave.

Reaction Score
Viewing these examples reminded me of some sculptures I saw in a town called Almonte, ON. This was the home of Robert Tait McKenzie and the birthplace of Dr. James Naismith before he migrated to the US.

This pic is from the museum they have as a tribute to them both. Located in a conservation area, the scenery is beautiful as it's located along a river.

1661092911898.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Did you catch a Moses sighting? :eek:
my thought exactly.
as to the former 'chief sanitation engineer' for the Town of Westbrook (that harry and tonto movie is entertaining), well, here's another art piece from showbiz.
widely recognized, it also has art fame for only being 9 strokes.
alfred-hitchcock-clipart-4.jpg

now, that's efficient.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
more line art. i think that there are five versions of this, in various mediums. he called all of them 'husky fan learns of paige's acl.'
%22The_scream%22._Wellcome_L0011212.jpg

keith called this one 'mr haring lunches with clifspliffy'
a9941a95bb9eeb0467ae7ee8cd9ee35b.jpg

Reaction Score
'what kinds of art do people here like?'
Personally my favorite art is music, followed by comedy in a show or stand up. On printed art works I would say two of my favorites are Posada with this. Calavera of Don Quixote and several by Salvador Dali.

1661133965360.png

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'my favorite art is music'
sounds, images, and words. all art.
some kind of triple crown right thar.

sketch the trees and the daffodils,
catch the breeze and the winter chills,
in colors on the snowy linen land.

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
Book illustration isn't typically painting, but it touches me. I've been fascinated by the effect of literature on artists for decades.
This has resulted in a curious “hobby”. I collect variant illustrated editions of Cervantes' Don Quixote.

Here are couple of favorites, by Gustave Doré and Pablo Picasso.

5F0BFED4-67A5-4E14-B602-EEFDEBA5E5F7.jpeg
03BA44A0-52F3-4E0A-A074-B081C3B4514B.jpeg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Blown glass sculptures by Dale Chihuly, Maker's Mark Distillery, Kentucky:
Dale's art is fantastic, one of my wife's glass artist friends worked for him and another is friends with him. He no longer does his own pieces due to health issues. I have seen a few smaller pieces from his studio that I would love to own, but cannot afford.

Yet another glass artist made a very apt comment about Dale's style and how many of his pieces look, however, I can't put it here.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Book illustration isn't typically painting, but it touches me. I've been fascinated by the effect of literature on artists for decades.
This has resulted in a curious “hobby”. I collect variant illustrated editions of Cervantes' Don Quixote.
near as i can figger it, the 'man of la mancha' play/movie thing hit hard
sometime in the 1960s, bigtime. i guess that lots of folks wondered aboot tilting against windmills. soo, one day, gramps and his doc pals, on their often 'wednesday, no work day, trips to gotham' (gramps was no doc, just self employed), wander into some art place there, and now, that pic of don and sancho, in whatever form it's called one step from the original, signed, hangs in their dining room.
as previously mentioned 'since days of underoos,' my exposure to this 'art' thing led me to the conclusion early on, as far as the cash part of it all, 'buy the picture/painting and forget the rest.' ie, antique toys, furniture, sculpture, pretty much all of that.
check out the antiques roadshow update episodes. paintings almost always win. the rest? notsomuch. nothing aboot taste, or beauty, just everything aboot the cash part of the puzzle.
early fan of this guys shtick.
il_1140xN.1106978231_s20j.jpg

missed out, bigtime, on keith haring originals way back when, cuz i thought, 'cool, but i could draw that, especially since he never has to draw hands.' guess not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'll guess that many have not heard of Dahlov Ipcar. I didn't until I went to a showing of many of her works. She painted for many years on the coast of Maine where she had her studio. She passed in 2017, 9 months short of her 100th birthday and painted up to her passing. I was truly amazed at her work, and wonder why she hasn't seen more universal recognition. There is more on her World of Dahlov Ipcar site and encourage checking it out.

1661182803235.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'my favorite art is music'
sounds, images, and words. all art.
some kind of triple crown right thar.

sketch the trees and the daffodils,
catch the breeze and the winter chills,
in colors on the snowy linen land.

colors changing hue,
morning fields of amber grain,
weathered faces lined in pain,
are soothed beneath the artist's loving hand.

the art of language.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
for some odd reason, ai weiwei's newest, and first glass sculpture, recently unveiled, is tough for me to find as a standalone image.
even the news of it is scarce.
it can be seen in that pic with him in the foreground. you'll see pieces of skeletons and such.
it's called 'la Commedia Umana: Memento Mori'
The Human Comedy: Remember You Must Die"
ouch.
Artist Ai Weiwei warns against hubris in 'troublesome' times

Last edited:
Reaction Score
for some odd reason, ai weiwei's newest, and first glass sculpture, recently unveiled, is tough for me to find as a standalone image.
even the news of it is scarce.
it can be seen in that pic with him in the foreground. you'll see pieces of skeletons and such.
it's called 'la Commedia Umana: Memento Mori'
The Human Comedy: Remember You Must Die"
ouch.
Artist Ai Weiwei warns against hubris in 'troublesome' times
Wow, wow, and WOW.

First I've ever heard of this artist. Really powerful, especially when the location is taken into consideration. Thanks for sharing this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom