OT: - art. | The Boneyard

OT: art.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
spending time last week bumping around Atlantic shores, and going into some coastal galleries, i got to thinking 'what kinds of art do people here like?'
almost since days of underoos, i'd been dragged into museums and such, and from day one, i immediately liked those pictures of nature. i learned that another Connecticut guy made famous that type called 'Hudson River school' which led to "Connecticut River school.' like these,
Frederic%2BEdwin%2BChurch%2BTutt%2527Art%2540%2B%252872%2529.jpg

9ecf9aaa1f001bddd541e1a2d76a8c15.jpg

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. there are no right or wrong answers.
overheard way back when, 'fine. i picked one. u happy? consider me officially 'educated.' now, can i get back to the courts? im wasting valuable hoops time here.'

Reaction Score
spending time last week bumping around Atlantic shores, and going into some coastal galleries, i got to thinking 'what kinds of art do people here like?'
almost since days of underoos, i'd been dragged into museums and such, and from day one, i immediately liked those pictures of nature. i learned that another Connecticut guy made famous that type called 'Hudson River school' which led to "Connecticut River school.' like these,
Frederic%2BEdwin%2BChurch%2BTutt%2527Art%2540%2B%252872%2529.jpg

9ecf9aaa1f001bddd541e1a2d76a8c15.jpg

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. there are no right or wrong answers.
overheard way back when, 'fine. i picked one. u happy? consider me officially 'educated.' now, can i get back to the courts? im wasting valuable hoops time here.'
That looks like Thomas Cole. Is it?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this guy liked the Housatonic River.
Summer-On-The-Housatonic.jpg

ol freddy from da block up in Hartford, got around.
like everywhere on the planet. 'al ayn' - The Fountain. nice crib.
Image-2-Ayn-The-Fountain-Oil-on-Canvas-1882.jpg

Reaction Score
Working on my family tree with my niece (Myself=No artistic ability.) Discovered my 4th & 5th Great Grandfathers, both name William Sadler were Irish Landscape Artists. They painted from around 1770-1840.

Battle of Waterloo, which is on display at the Dublin National Museum

1660860641423.png

Reaction Score
Salmon Leap, County Kildare, Ireland
I bought both Prints, but have yet to frame them

1660860973540.png

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
definitely not a big fan of mr warhol, but i always liked this kind from him.
very stark colors, which, sometimes, is the way it is down at the sea.
Andy+Warhol6.jpg

you can't 'sculpt by numbers' on this one.
y9oq6m4k9qn11.jpg

Reaction Score
Eric Sloane lived in the town where I grew up. I used to mow his lawn and he was great friends with my Mom & Dad. My parents have a couple of his paintings and copies of all his books.

When I was about 10 or 11 I went to Eric’s studio on my bicycle to see if I could buy a reproduction of one of his works for my room.
Eric said that he didn’t have any reproductions, but dug around in a bunch of stuff leaning against a desk and said “Would you like one of these? I’m not happy with them and will just take them to the dump.”
He showed me a quite large original painting -about 48” x 27”- and said “How about this one?”

Being the genius art critic that I was I said “Um, I don’t think so thanks, the barn doesn’t look right.”
So he took a ruler and a pencil and drew some lines on it to make it look like boards “How about now?”.
“Um, thank you, but I think I’ll wait until you might get in some reproductions.”
He just chuckled and said “OK.”.

So I rode my bike home and told my parents how it went. They patiently explained that a reproduction was often printed so that there were 100 or 200 copies of an original, where an original painting was the only one that would ever be. Lots of people might have the same exact picture that I might choose, but an original was quite special.
I gave it some thought and rode back to Mr Sloane’s studio to ask if he had thrown out the painting yet.

He asked me if my parents told me to come back and I relayed the whole story to him about the difference between reproductions and originals.
He said “Ok”, I could have the big painting.
I asked him how much he would like for it and he said “Just buy your Grandmother some nice flowers.” I agreed to do that

I carried that big painting home on the handlebars of my bike, naturally, since I was a Mensa candidate, I started off with the painted side down against the handbrake levers and made some deep scratches in the upper right corner before I wised up and turned it over.

My Dad and I made the frame from some old barn wood he had and it hung in my bedroom.
One day when Eric was having coffee at the house, my Mom asked him if he would be willing to sign the painting. Eric grabbed a black Magic Marker off the kitchen counter and signed it in the corner “To Billy, Eric Sloane”.

It’s a great story and a pretty awesome painting. Hopefully the picture posts properly.

Barn.jpeg

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It isn't that I don't like paintings, but they have never been a big part of life, partly because of a lack of room to display them.

I did some museums, although "art" museums were not my parent's thing. Never-the-less, my Mom and I visited Boston, Philadelphia, and Cleveland Art Museums (plus the Met, and part of the Smithsonian) in the 5 years between Dad's death and meeting my wife.

To be honest, I think my favorite "art" is decorative arts. Jewelry, furniture, clothing of the past, etc. Western and Native American pots, etc. We have a lot of glass in the house, many pieces made by my wife in the years she was doing glass art plus pieces by her mentors.

My father did photography so I also appreciate some photography, although not to collect them.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
It isn't that I don't like paintings, but they have never been a big part of life, partly because of a lack of room to display them.

I did some museums, although "art" museums were not my parent's thing. Never-the-less, my Mom and I visited Boston, Philadelphia, and Cleveland Art Museums (plus the Met, and part of the Smithsonian) in the 5 years between Dad's death and meeting my wife.

To be honest, I think my favorite "art" is decorative arts. Jewelry, furniture, clothing of the past, etc. Western and Native American pots, etc. We have a lot of glass in the house, many pieces made by my wife in the years she was doing glass art plus pieces by her mentors.

My father did photography so I also appreciate some photography, although not to collect them.
i like 'photo art' like this one of Geronimo in 1886.
s-l1600.jpg

or this one of the 'golden spike' ceremony.
180509-golden-spike-ap-1160.jpg

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
i call this one 'whut u talkin 'boot, willis?'
or mebbe 'whut you got?'
ct-fearless-girl-statue-stays-20170327

close up of 'the burrito'
wp4196509.jpg

they should call this one 'my burrito, not yours.' lol.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
more mickey
il_1588xN.3281156913_a4w5.jpg

leo was the dude. his pix of helicopters and aeroplanes .....
more paintings aboot food. i bet he called this one 'where's the italian bread? im sick of matzoh!'
last-supper-da-vinci-1495.jpg

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

There's nothing wrong with not being into paintings. Heck, I know someone who doesn't like music. Not can take it or leave it, but actively doesn't like it. So I wear earbuds when he's visiting. Sculpture has never spoken to me. Calligraphy never did till I saw the Book of Kells. There's music that I love that 99% of people would probably call noise (90% of Boneyarders, whose taste tends to be very eclectic).

As long as you have some passion, and I know you do, I don't care what it is as long as it doesn't hurt someone.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
this is the one where, i think, Gabriel tells Muhammed 'no dogs. if that mutt is in your house, i ain't coming in.'
Gabriel-Muhammad.jpg

genghis visits Bagdad, everybody dies. looks like they had tiktok back then. 2/10/1258.
Mural_of_siege_warfare_Genghis_Khan_Exhibit_Tech_Museum_San_Jose_2010.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom