Around the NCAA 1/18-1/24 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Around the NCAA 1/18-1/24

Reaction Score
Rutgers moves into the top 25 for the first time in 40-damn years. If you don't think Pikell is the coach of the year, you're insane. They're elite defensively. Rutgers!
I think you have to let the season play out. Still a ton of hoops to be played. There are other contenders. If Rutgers goes 1-4 in their next five they will be 6-6 in the B10. 9-11 is still a possibility for Rutgers.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Rutgers moves into the top 25 for the first time in 40-damn years. If you don't think Pikell is the coach of the year, you're insane. They're elite defensively. Rutgers!

I thought all coaches that were from inside the UConn "family" were bad. This is getting confusing.

Reaction Score
Steve could coach and having a vet like Karl sitting next to you .is such a big help. Steve should win COTY. Winning at Rutgers isn’t easy.
Just a side note
In 1979-80 they we’re 27-7 and made the NCAA tourney but still lost to UConn at the old Field House.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
UConn is going to roll PC next year.
LOL - Let's see what happens the rest of this year before you start crowing about next year
This year hasn't turned into what 95% on here thought it would be

Reaction Score
LOL - Let's see what happens the rest of this year before you start crowing about next year
This year hasn't turned into what 95% on here thought it would be

They lose 5 seniors and I am not high on Breed & Davis as 2020's assuming they both are still on board. Did they jump ship? Who knows! :)!

How are Horchler and Bynum going to transition into Ed's master FLEX offense?

I like the programs history as I grew up watching Ernie and Marvin. So I find myself rooting for them more than against them. I hope they turn it around this year. They have the talent.

The next 3 games will seal the Friars fate this year. If they don't go 2-1 it is over with five seniors.

Reaction Score
They lose 5 seniors and I am not high on Breed & Davis as 2020's assuming they both are still on board. Did they jump ship? Who knows! :)!

How are Horchler and Bynum going to transition into Ed's master FLEX offense?

I like the programs history as I grew up watching Ernie and Marvin. So I find myself rooting for them more than against them. I hope they turn it around this year. They have the talent.

The next 3 games will seal the Friars fate this year. If they don't go 2-1 it is over with five seniors.
I like Breed, he plays with alot of talent on his highschool/AAU teams and avgs double figures and holds his own. I can see him turning into a player by his junior year playing behind Bynum. As for Davis I think he is the number 1 player in Delaware I could be wrong and was ranked really high before injuries hit.....jury out on him. Duke again will easily be top 2 or 3 best player in the big east. All that said we split next yr..... either Creighton or Nova win the regular season with about 7 teams having a chance to win the BET.

Reaction Score
I like Breed, he plays with alot of talent on his highschool/AAU teams and avgs double figures and holds his own. I can see him turning into a player by his junior year playing behind Bynum. As for Davis I think he is the number 1 player in Delaware I could be wrong and was ranked really high before injuries hit.....jury out on him. Duke again will easily be top 2 or 3 best player in the big east. All that said we split next yr..... either Creighton or Nova win the regular season with about 7 teams having a chance to win the BET.
Ty-Shon Alexander will test the waters. Both Creighton/Nova are Top 10 teams next year. Great opportunities for UConn.

Reaction Score
Nova is a top 10 team right now.
I think next year when UConn enters the NBE Nova will also be top 10 since they don't lose any key personnel off this years team. Creighton may be a bit more of a stretch next year even if they return everyone. I wouldn't bet against it though. If Bryan Antoine makes the jump most expect him to make next year then Nova (IMO) should be the best team in the country barring injury.

Reaction Score
I think next year when UConn enters the NBE Nova will also be top 10 since they don't lose any key personnel off this years team. Creighton may be a bit more of a stretch next year even if they return everyone. I wouldn't bet against it though. If Bryan Antoine makes the jump most expect him to make next year then Nova (IMO) should be the best team in the country barring injury.
I think Bey will leave for the draft this year. That being said, Swider is going to be ready to fill his shoes. I think them and Creighton will both be very very good next year.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Nova will be loaded. It's ridiculous how many good veteran guards and forwards they are going to have. Jay Wright has this whole roster contruction thing down to a science.

Reaction Score
Agreed, Nova will be loaded. It's ridiculous how many good veteran guards and forwards they are going to have. Jay Wright has this whole roster contruction thing down to a science.
The guy is unreal.

Reaction Score
Shaka Smart seems like he’s heading to the chopping block. Texas is bad and has no 2020 commits. Year 5 in Texas with pretty much nothing to show for it.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
Shaka Smart seems like he’s heading to the chopping block. Texas is bad and has no 2020 commits. Year 5 in Texas with pretty much nothing to show for it.
mick cronin has made in to the second weekend of the ncaa tournament more recently than shaka.

let that sink in.

Reaction Score
Kofi with 22 and 15 with 3 blocks. (sigh) what could have been

Reaction Score
Nova is smooth. Ball movement, board crashing, depth. They could be a F4 team in a couple months.

NBE or not, will be nice to go back to back games against rankedopponents again

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I think Seton Hall is the best team in the Big East this year. They look like a Final Four team until the last two minutes of every close game. If they could learn to hold it together in crunch time, they have a shot to cut down the nets. Any by "hold it together", I do not mean "take crazy shots and hope they go in".

Reaction Score
Nova is smooth. Ball movement, board crashing, depth. They could be a F4 team in a couple months.

NBE or not, will be nice to go back to back games against rankedopponents again
You don't have to wait. We are playing our third consecutive ranked team tomorrow.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Shaka was one of those guys who was the right guy at the right place at the right time at VCU - you could see the writing on the wall
To think so many folks wanted him here

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I've watched those guys and I never see that VCU like ferocity, particularly defensively at Texas. I mean Shaka became who he is due to pressure defense leading to instant offense. For him to go out w/out leaving his imprint will be disappointing to see.

Reaction Score
Shaka was one of those guys who was the right guy at the right place at the right time at VCU - you could see the writing on the wall
Anthony Grant (who was on UConn’s radar should they have missed on Hurley) had VCU doing very well before Shaka even got there, and Shaka also had a great young offensive minded assistant coach in Will Wade.

Smart has recruited fine at Texas, but hasn’t recruited many players that can shoot/score well. Andrew Jones was a tough break for them. He would have been their star. But still, it’s surprising how Smart has been churning out quality NBA bigs without getting enough quality guard/wing depth to field competitive teams.

Smart’s VCU teams prided themselves on the “havoc” style of play in which they forced a ton of turnovers. He hasn’t been able to bring that to Texas, but they’ve still been consistently very good on defense. He hasn’t figured out an effective offensive system, although he’s definitely made an effort to change as they’ve spread the floor and shot a lot more 3s the last couple of seasons (granted without the fast pace that Wade’s offenses always have). Maybe he needs better suited personnel, but he’s running out of time.

He’s becoming a cautionary tale for Hurley. Both are defense first coaches from the A10 without offensive identity/consistency. Hurley has never coached a team that was better than 134th in eFG%. His teams always crash the offensive boards well, but are hit and miss with TO% and haven’t been great at actually putting the ball in the hoop. I believe with him hitting his stride recruiting here, that changes, but obviously there’s major room for improvement there.

Reaction Score
You knew better? I was one who thought he was a rising star.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom