Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
Well, just got this offer

ForumRunner_20140930_080642.png

Reaction Score
The cheapest seat at the WKU @ Army game last season was $35.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I read a rumor that the MTA will not be running subway service from Yankee stadium until the completion of the game to encourage fans to stay later.

Can anyone confirm?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I read a rumor that the MTA will not be running subway service from Yankee stadium until the completion of the game to encourage fans to stay later.

Can anyone confirm?

That only applies to students.

Reaction Score
Not that it will stop any complaining, but this is NOT a UConn home game.

I'm pretty sure the school can price their allotment of tickets at whatever price they choose. Personally I think this whole Yankee Stadium nonsense is silly. I'd rather be traveling to West Point, which is a great place to see a game. Yankee Stadium? Horrible sightlines. I know this will put a hair across Spackler's ass but the "exposure" is so over valued it's almost comical. We're playing Army, not ND or some other high profile program where it may be worth it.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the school can price their allotment of tickets at whatever price they choose. Personally I think this whole Yankee Stadium nonsense is silly. I'd rather be traveling to West Point, which is a great place to see a game. Yankee Stadium? Horrible sightlines. I know this will put a hair across Spackler's ass but the "exposure" is so over valued it's almost comical. We're playing Army, not ND or some other high profile program where it may be worth it.

+1 on West Point. Been up there for several games over the years, and it's a great experience.

Reaction Score

We'll find out whether or not it's worth it. I was at the game last time we played at West Point, and it is definitely a great place to see a game, but I would be surprised if there were more than 5,000 UConn fans there.

We should have at least 10,000 fans at Yankee Stadium. 20,000 if the team was any good. And it's Army's home game, but as we know, that won't stop the complaints.

Dooley

Reaction Score
Missing the point entirely. UCONN has yet to play a single game in any of the boroughs or MetLife (which is really considered an extended NYC borough anyway). These exposure games can not be overstated enough. Rutgers was able to sell itself on being NYC's college team based on cable boxes and a few games played at Yankee and MetLife (that never drew over 40K except for the last Pinstripe Bowl against ND). Syracuse pays a ton of money to claim the same thing despite never drawing well either, when not significantly aided by ND or PSU fans. Now it's UCONN's turn to stake its claim on NYC. Everyone remembers MSG turning into "UCONN South" but nobody has a memory of Yankee or MetLife turning into UCONN South because we've never played there. If UCONN fans can represent well at Yankee Stadium, we can make a nice statement to any P5 conference who cares about the New York City market (ACC and B1G) that we carry weight during both the fall and winter sports. That is a SERIOUS statement.

I said before the season started and I'll say it again: if there was 1 game that UCONN fans should go to it's this one. Go for the football. Go for reliving your favorite Yankee baseball moments. Go for a night on the town after the game. Go for your love of UCONN. Go because there is a .0000000001% chance that Delany or Swofford will peek at the gate for this game to see if UCONN can draw 40K as RU and SU did. Go because tickets are cheap and you can hop on a train that will take right to the doorstep. Go because The Vega is an excellent bar a few blocks from the stadium and always keeps their mountains blue. Just go.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Missing the point entirely. UCONN has yet to play a single game in any of the boroughs or MetLife (which is really considered an extended NYC borough anyway). These exposure games can not be overstated enough. Rutgers was able to sell itself on being NYC's college team based on cable boxes and a few games played at Yankee and MetLife (that never drew over 40K except for the last Pinstripe Bowl against ND). Syracuse pays a ton of money to claim the same thing despite never drawing well either, when not significantly aided by ND or PSU fans. Now it's UCONN's turn to stake its claim on NYC. Everyone remembers MSG turning into "UCONN South" but nobody has a memory of Yankee or MetLife turning into UCONN South because we've never played there. If UCONN fans can represent well at Yankee Stadium, we can make a nice statement to any P5 conference who cares about the New York City market (ACC and B1G) that we carry weight during both the fall and winter sports. That is a SERIOUS statement.

I said before the season started and I'll say it again: if there was 1 game that UCONN fans should go to it's this one. Go for the football. Go for reliving your favorite Yankee baseball moments. Go for a night on the town after the game. Go for your love of UCONN. Go because there is a .0000000001% chance that Delany or Swofford will peek at the gate for this game to see if UCONN can draw 40K as RU and SU did. Go because tickets are cheap and you can hop on a train that will take right to the doorstep. Go because The Vega is an excellent bar a few blocks from the stadium and always keeps their mountains blue. Just go.

Bought tickets month or so ago a Full Clip :-(
Agree - make a trip out of it.

Going +5
Brother and his wife coming up from Florida.
9/11 Memorial setup for Saturday am.
Ryan Phelan Tailgate pre game
Seats right above Monument Park
Irish Pub Crawl afterwards
Something tourist(y) Sunday am

#HuskyUp

Reaction Score
mattzampini 10:15am via TweetDeck
#UConn students: I have news about student tickets for @UConnFootball's game vs. Army at Yankee Stadium Nov. 8....

mattzampini 10:17am via TweetDeck
Students can purchase single game tickets for $30 at the ticket office. Must show your #UConn ID, max two per UConn student.

mattzampini 10:19am via TweetDeck
Students can also purchase a $40 game AND round trip bus ticket at subog.uconn.edu. #UConn

mattzampini 10:21am via TweetDeck
For the bus + game ticket...max of two per student..2nd ticket must be used by another #UConn student. Limited # of spaces are available!

Reaction Score
ConnHuskBask said:
I read a rumor that the MTA will not be running subway service from Yankee stadium until the completion of the game to encourage fans to stay later. Can anyone confirm?

No. The subways run as normal. They don't just serve the stadium. The special Metro-North direct trains will run around the game schedule.

But there are also normal Metro-North trains that you can take to 125th and transfer. So nobody will be stranded.

Reaction Score
mattzampini 10:15am via TweetDeck
#UConn students: I have news about student tickets for @UConnFootball's game vs. Army at Yankee Stadium Nov. 8....

mattzampini 10:17am via TweetDeck
Students can purchase single game tickets for $30 at the ticket office. Must show your #UConn ID, max two per UConn student.

mattzampini 10:19am via TweetDeck
Students can also purchase a $40 game AND round trip bus ticket at subog.uconn.edu. #UConn

mattzampini 10:21am via TweetDeck
For the bus + game ticket...max of two per student..2nd ticket must be used by another #UConn student. Limited # of spaces are available!

I don't get this. We should be so lucky that a student would want to buy more than 2. Why the limit?

Reaction Score
Most likely becasue the University is subsidizing the costs so they only want to subsidize UConn students and a limited number at that.

Reaction Score

You are correct about the sight-lines. You are correct about the relative attractiveness of the opponent. You are correct about the game-day experience at West Point.

However, you are wrong where it relates to the aura associated with the venue. (Note: I know that we aren't playing at the "original." Hell, MSG is on, at least, it's third iteration/location and it's still considered the "Mecca." Same with Yankee Stadium.)

There are two NYC athletic venues that everyone in the world immediately recognizes. Yankee Stadium and MSG. A basketball recruit from Europe, Africa or the Pacific will be impressed by a chance to play at MSG. Believe it or not, Yankee Stadium has the same high-profile name recognition. Will a kid pick UCONN just/only because he'll get to play at Yankee Stadium? Probably not. But there's a good chance that the opportunity to play at 'The Stadium" is listed in the "positives" column while a game at Citi Field, Met Life or Barclays Center (for BB players) is not considered at all. To an athlete, a chance to play at MSG or Yankee Stadium equates to feelings an Actor has about playing Broadway. It's a meaningful event.

Obviously, the positives related to "exposure" are negated by the quality of play. Neither team will be recommended for football's Final Four. Unfortunately, you can't afford to avoid teams or venues because you might be bad when it comes time to play. You schedule. You hope.

Finally, there's only one New York. And, New York continues to be a very important place to or for anyone that wants to sell a product. Luckily, we have the benefit of proximity. For us, New York is not a logistical nightmare. New York is part of daily life, and UCONN would be derelict if it didn't take advantage of its "Tri-State" status.

Having the UCONN brand closely associated with NYC and venues like Yankee Stadium can never be a bad thing. Once we reinstate winning, a natural affiliation with NYC will be a huge positive.

Reaction Score
Jimmy Serrano said:

Saying the exposure of playing Army at Yankee Stadium is "over valued" is absurd. You absolutely do not get the same exposure at West Point. If you don't think we need exposure in NYC, you must be very satisfied with the state of UConn football.

Reaction Score
Saying the exposure of playing Army at Yankee Stadium is "over valued" is absurd. You absolutely do not get the same exposure at West Point. If you don't think we need exposure in NYC, you must be very satisfied with the state of UConn football.

Playing Army in front of 25,000 people is not NYC exposure. Other than the people at the game nobody in NYC will know or care about it

Dooley

Reaction Score
Playing Army in front of 25,000 people is not NYC exposure. Other than the people at the game nobody in NYC will know or care about it

Well then, that's on UCONN fans. The only thing we can control in CR as fans is buying tickets, merchandise and TV ratings. If the game draws 25K, then it better damn well get good ratings (which it won't). Yes, the on-field product is not very good right now. But we don't have the luxury of making excuses if we want out of the AAC. Time to sack up and support UCONN, win or lose.

I'm really hoping we can pull out a few wins between now and November 8 to at least give this game some semblance of meaning towards a possible bowl bid. We need as many fans in the seats as possible in our first (and possibly only) chance to show our NYC presence. It's one thing to point to a NYT article from 2010 and claim we're in the Top 5 supported programs in the city. It's another to actually prove and demonstrate it in the stands.

#HuskyUp

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
bobbyinaz said:

No one is polling zip codes at the gate. A full house indicates a strong UConn interest in NYC. An empty one full of cadets says the opposite.

Reaction Score
No one is polling zip codes at the gate. A full house indicates a strong UConn interest in NYC. An empty one full of cadets says the opposite.

Please stop with the full house nonsense. They have not even opened the upper deck which means that the crowd will likely be less than 30K.

We all want out of the AAC dumpster fire but if our future is tied to selling out Yankee Stadium than we may as well go the nelson route & shut it down. Win games, stop the perception that we are a laughing stock across the nation & HOPE that a P5 conference sees some value in UConn.

I'm tired of being lectured that attendance is what will save us. It's not what saved Syracuse. It's not what saved Pitt. It's not what saved Maryland & it's not what saved Rutgers.

IF we get the call to a P5 conference it will be because the conference sees value in what UConn brings as a whole, not because of our attendance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom