Army and Navy | The Boneyard

Army and Navy

Reaction Score
I know this might sound like a dumb question, but why is it hard for teams to stop Navy's and Army's running game? Like all they do is run the ball and I know not a lot of teams usually play a team like them that runs the ball 99.8% of the time. Navy beat the living hell out of Virginia... Imagine what they would've done to us :eek:

Reaction Score
Army plays an easy schedule.

Navy gets to commit hundreds of dangerous penalties a game but because they are a service academy it’s ok.

Yup - that's the reason.

Actually, they do one thing (run) and they do it well. As stated, it's not an offense most defenses see, so that helps. For the most part, it's not flashy getting three or four yards a play, but how many teams' front seven are prepared to stop that many running plays a game? Navy ran the ball 76 times today against Virginia. When the offense is clicking, they hold on to the ball - Navy had it for 42 minutes today against Virginia. Eventually, the defense will wear down, especially if there aren't many three-and-outs.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yup - that's the reason.

It’s a big part of why Navy’s offense is effective. If it makes you feel better for some reason Georgia Tech also gets away with a ton of garbage.

I’m sure that ‘USNA’ can be totally objective
on the issue.

Reaction Score
I don't have to feel better - you're wrong and obviously don't understand the rules as they apply to blocking.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I don't have to feel better - you're wrong and obviously don't understand the rules as they apply to blocking.

Yeah I only spent over a decade officiating the sport. What do I know about the rules?

They don’t write the rule in the correct fashion to protect the service academies.

Sure it means a ton of players get injured on from cheap blocks - but they are ‘legal’ so everyone with a torn ACL can take that to heart during their rehab.

Is there a batsignal you get that someone might have posted something about the Navy that you don’t like? It’s pretty impressive that you showed up that quickly with the same tired posts.

Reaction Score
Happy to see Service Academies win any time against any opponent... except UConn. They are generally overmatched physically and athletically, yet they execute and exert maximum intensity to overcome these obstacles. Most are grade A dudes with good intelligence, a great work ethic and commitment to country. What the hell is there to complain about if a few calls go their way. By all accounts, they should be getting destroyed week in and out but they don't.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Happy to see Service Academies win any time against any opponent... except UConn. They are generally overmatched physically and athletically, yet they execute and exert maximum intensity to overcome these obstacles. Most are grade A dudes with good intelligence, a great work ethic and commitment to country. What the hell is there to complain about if a few calls go their way. By all accounts, they should be getting destroyed week in and out but they don't.

Sure it’s not your ACL. Who cares if every snap someone dives at someone else’s knees?

I’m guessing you don’t remember when UConn went to Michie in 2005 and Army submitted an all-time dirty performance when they got their arses handed to them a third straight season.

I bet Larry Taylor remembers it as he took two of the dirtiest and cheapest shots in history.

Or just go with the bs narrative that CBS feeds ya.

Reaction Score
Would be nice to have Army in the AAC but they sucked when expansion was happening. That's how it works...except for Rutgers.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The triple option is difficult for defenses to read, especially when looking at it for the first time. Navy is particularly good at and makes a living off of it the same way 'Cuse does off of it's zone.

Reaction Score
Sure it’s not your ACL. Who cares if every snap someone dives at someone else’s knees?

I’m guessing you don’t remember when UConn went to Michie in 2005 and Army submitted an all-time dirty performance when they got their arses handed to them a third straight season.

I bet Larry Taylor remembers it as he took two of the dirtiest and cheapest shots in history.

Or just go with the bs narrative that CBS feeds ya.
Dude - that was standard fare back in my day. If you didn't have your head on a swivel and get your knees up and moving, you were going to get rolled. You learned pretty quick how to fend off low blocks and it was your responsibility not to let somebody get into your legs. In any case, I have no sympathy for a 300 pound guy getting dominated by a 250 pounder who simply is more tenacious, exploits the natural vulnerability of a perhaps taller or slower footed big man. The game is also about technique, not just grow them bigger than your opponent.

Suck it up and get tough. Too much crybaby BS has entered the game.

Reaction Score
It’s a big part of why Navy’s offense is effective. If it makes you feel better for some reason Georgia Tech also gets away with a ton of garbage.

I’m sure that ‘USNA’ can be totally objective
on the issue.
Do you think they'll ever switch to the HS rules? I'd never run the option in HS now.

Reaction Score
Army plays an easy schedule.

Navy gets to commit hundreds of dangerous penalties a game but because they are a service academy it’s ok.

I'd love to have you say that with a microphone in a locker room full of Navy players and then watch you squirm. LOL!

Also, Army had a great year (10-2) and their schedule was not a Cream puff. They beat Duke, Navy, Air force and won the Commander in Chief Trophy. I 'd like to see them join the American. Then we'd have a balance of clipping machines in the conference. LOL!

DATE OPPONENT /RESULT
Sep 1 Fordham Won 64-6
Sep 9 Buffalo Won 21-17
Sep 16 @Ohio St. Lost 7-38
Sep 23 @Tulane Lost 17-21
Sep 30 UTEP Won 35-21
Oct 7 @Rice Won 49-12
Oct 14 E. Michigan Won 28-27
Oct 21 Temple Won 31-28
Nov 4 @Air Force Won 21-0
Nov 11 Duke Won 21-16
Nov 18 @North Texas Lost 49-52
Dec 9 @Navy Won 14-13
Dec 23 San Diego St. Won 42-35

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'd love to have you say that with a microphone in a locker room full of Navy players and then watch you squirm. LOL!

Also, Army had a great year (10-2) and their schedule was not a Cream puff. They beat Duke, Navy, Air force and won the Commander in Chief Trophy. I 'd like to see them join the American. Then we'd have a balance of clipping machines in the conference. LOL!

DATE OPPONENT /RESULT
Sep 1 Fordham Won 64-6
Sep 9 Buffalo Won 21-17
Sep 16 @Ohio St. Lost 7-38
Sep 23 @Tulane Lost 17-21
Sep 30 UTEP Won 35-21
Oct 7 @Rice Won 49-12
Oct 14 E. Michigan Won 28-27
Oct 21 Temple Won 31-28
Nov 4 @Air Force Won 21-0
Nov 11 Duke Won 21-16
Nov 18 @North Texas Lost 49-52
Dec 9 @Navy Won 14-13
Dec 23 San Diego St. Won 42-35

On planet Carl that’s not an easy schedule.

Yes they were pretty good the last couple of years but that is the lamest schedule you can possibly make.

Navy’s blocking schemes are cheap. Sorry not sorry.

Reaction Score
It is amazing how both schools use the fullback. Army rotates 3 or 4 of them while most schools hardly carry 1. The quick dive is something out of the playbook from my day. Army must have run 40 of them in their bowl game. It usually had a double team at the point of attack and requires the FB it hit the hole quickly. I think that quick hit tempo is so much different than the read option, zone block and look for a seam style that everyone else runs. Gets team on their heals. It was like watching Texas in the 60's could almost see LBJ in the stands "hooking horns".

Reaction Score
Yeah I only spent over a decade officiating the sport. What do I know about the rules?

They don’t write the rule in the correct fashion to protect the service academies.

Sure it means a ton of players get injured on from cheap blocks - but they are ‘legal’ so everyone with a torn ACL can take that to heart during their rehab.

So now the blocks are legal (but just apparently not in the Whaler book)? Previously, you stated "Navy gets to commit hundreds of dangerous penalties" just because they are a service academy. If you don't like the success they have, that's one thing, but to complain about them doing something illegal and getting away with it because of some conspiracy that everyone involved in college football is involved in is another.

Bubba mentioned the FB hitting the hole quickly, which is so important for these offenses. To succeed, they need to stay ahead of the sticks, and if you look at Army specifically this year, they didn't break a lot of big plays, but they also didn't get caught behind the line very often. They also didn't get penalized or throw passes, which, if incomplete, is a wasted down. Most teams don't have the patience to drive down the field three yards at a time - but look what they did to San Diego State with that offense.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
So now the blocks are legal (but just apparently not in the Whaler book)? Previously, you stated "Navy gets to commit hundreds of dangerous penalties" just because they are a service academy. If you don't like the success they have, that's one thing, but to complain about them doing something illegal and getting away with it because of some conspiracy that everyone involved in college football is involved in is another.

Bubba mentioned the FB hitting the hole quickly, which is so important for these offenses. To succeed, they need to stay ahead of the sticks, and if you look at Army specifically this year, they didn't break a lot of big plays, but they also didn't get caught behind the line very often. They also didn't get penalized or throw passes, which, if incomplete, is a wasted down. Most teams don't have the patience to drive down the field three yards at a time - but look what they did to San Diego State with that offense.

Yes psycho I was making light of the fact they should be illegal.

I don’t give a crap if Navy loses any game but against UConn. Guy asked so I answered.

I think someone just said something about the Navy on the Northern Illinois site. Go bother them.

Reaction Score
Yes psycho I was making light of the fact they should be illegal.

I don’t give a crap if Navy loses any game but against UConn. Guy asked so I answered.

I think someone just said something about the Navy on the Northern Illinois site. Go bother them.

The fact that you don't understand college football makes me a psycho? You're a piece of work. Happy New Year!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The fact that you don't understand college football makes me a psycho? You're a piece of work. Happy New Year!

More that you police the internet in case someone says something you don’t like about Navy.

Cheap scheme. Cry to someone else.

Reaction Score
Since you mentioned it here @whaler11 is a penalty for a “chop block” only with a specific sequence where a player is engaged high and then is blocked low? Or is it any time two levels are engaged at the same time

On the third and 10 that Washington just failed to convert I saw a PSU linemen taken out low and as he’s going down someone decks him high from an angle

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Since you mentioned it here @whaler11 is a penalty for a “chop block” only with a specific sequence where a player is engaged high and then is blocked low? Or is it any time two levels are engaged at the same time

On the third and 10 that Washington just failed to convert I saw a PSU linemen taken out low and as he’s going down someone decks him high from an angle

That’s an easy one.

A chop block is a high/low or low/high block on a non ball carrier anywhere on the field with or without a delay on the blocks.

Reaction Score
That’s an easy one.

A chop block is a high/low or low/high block on a non ball carrier anywhere on the field with or without a delay on the blocks.
Gotcha.

The language in the result I got with just googling made it seem like it may have to be high-low

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom