Army and Navy in Top 25 October 13-14 | The Boneyard

Army and Navy in Top 25 October 13-14

Reaction Score
This post is for the fans that know college football really well and have followed it for decades, but really anyone can respond to it.

Both Army and Navy are undefeated and are in the Top 25. I know they don't play the toughest competition, but their offensive styles are so unique in that they run the ball 80% with the triple option and other option plays and only throw 20% of the time. I do occasionally think of these questions, listed below, in my head whenever I see the score of their games pop up at the bottom of the screen and they are kicking the snot out of their opponents and I am curious what others think.

1) How would they do against the elite teams in the top 10? I think they would lose and their style probably wouldn't be effective against far superior athletes and with superior coaches that teach them how to stop the their offenses.

2) How would they do against the mid tier P4 teams? I think they could be quite effective as the athletic/skill gap would not be as big the coaches for these other teams are more likely to get confounded with Army and Navy style offenses.

The most important question
3) Do P4 teams avoid playing Army and Navy with the exception of Notre Dame because they don't want the embarrassment of losing to such an unaesthetic and gimmicky style that Army and Navy play? Would a loss to them Army/Navy on the schedule look like a big fat pimple on their face?

Army and Navy have the benefit of playing against seeing their opponents style of play but their opponents don't the benefit of going against an offense like Army or Navy's style of offense.

I ask these questions, because as much as I love the way UConn found a way to win against Temple, Army kicked the snot out of Temple in Philly.

Reaction Score
1) Not at all well against top 10 teams. Too much speed and athleticism.
2) May sometimes beat a mid level P-4, but only about 25% of the time I'd quess in years when they have a good team.
3) In recent years its more like Army and Navy avoid the P4s. For years they both scheduled quite a few P4s, but it was resulting in too many pastings, especially for Army, So they started scheduling more realistic competition.

Reaction Score
Both of them play ND this year so we will see how they fare against top 15 competition.

Reaction Score
Also they could end up playing first for the AAC title (and an CFP spot) and then in their yearly game the following week.

Army is 5-0 in conference and should beat ECar and UTSA at home. Only big challenge is at UNT.

Reaction Score
Obi Melifonwu single handedly stopped the Army option one year. Big, rangy athletes do really well defending the option. Top teams tend to have those types in bunches.

Reaction Score
The Army QB should be in the Heisman conversation. It is great for CFB that the academies are relevant, they are very easy to root for and fun to watch.

BTW there is nothing gimmicky about the triple option offense, definitely unique, but it is as old school as it gets, and it is great that it still works. It is baffling that more schools don't try it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Also they could end up playing first for the AAC title (and an CFP spot) and then in their yearly game the following week.

Army is 5-0 in conference and should beat ECar and UTSA at home. Only big challenge is at UNT.
When they meet this year I hope its a more exciting game than last years Army-Navy game which was the most boring game I've ever watched start to finish. Army must have run the QB up the middle about 30 times.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
And Happy Birthday Navy.
October 13, 1775.

th (1).jpeg

Reaction Score
Per Massey Army to date has a strength of schedule #133 and Navy #127 and UConn #122. Just win and get into top 25.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom