Arkeel Newsome | The Boneyard

Arkeel Newsome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Haven't seen this kid play but he sounds unreal. As only a sophomore he broke every Connecticut rushing record and is now the leading rusher in the country. Can anyone who has seen him play tell me what his game is like, how good they think he is and where UConn stands? I have to imagine most of the big programs are already after him.

Reaction Score
I saw him play yesterday in the class M game against Ledyard...i think he had something like 350 yards..pretty quick and shifty..can run up the middle, breaks tackles. dont know who is recruiting him, but would mind him as a husky

Reaction Score
Looks small I think it's time we recruit a back with some size , McCombs is a tad small only gonna take a beating for so long before he breaks, give me 5 more Donald Browns

Reaction Score
Let's first make sure this kid's academics are legit by the time he's a SR... If not, he's not coming to UCONN... We've had the worst experience keeping Ansonia kids here..

Reaction Score
Looks small I think it's time we recruit a back with some size , McCombs is a tad small only gonna take a beating for so long before he breaks, give me 5 more Donald Browns

There have maybe been five "Donald Browns" in the country since Donald Brown. Realism is a requisite for successful strategic planning.

Reaction Score
Meh......kids stats were skewed by a couple of long runs.

You want 3 or 4 Orlovsky's as a side dish for your 5 Donald Brown's?

Reaction Score

The comments about Newsome's size are really ridiculous. First of all the kid is in 10th grade. He weighed 145-150 as a freshmen. He added 20lbs to his frame and increased his speed in preparation for this season. Knowing the kid's work ethic and desire to improve his skill set, he will likely work his ass off to add on more size and speed this off-season and the season after that. He has also attended numerous camps and combines since he was in, I believe, 7th grade, and has earned MVP honors at many of them. So, he's not an unknown on the recruiting circuit. His size is actually an asset. He gets lost behind the OL and needs the slightest opening to break one. Very few big backs have the speed, agility, balance, or elusiveness that a smaller back possesses. Look at Brandon Jacobs of the Giants. Yes, he's a load, but he's not a game changer. He's a battering ram, that's it. Then you look at a Barry Sanders, a Maurice Jones-Drew, or Darren Sproles. Those guys can hurt a defense in so many ways. They get lost, they're a coverage nightmare, they're elusive, and difficult to get a solid hit on. Newsome's going to bet bigger, stronger, and faster and the offers are going to start coming. I'd be surprised if UConn isn't one of them.

Reaction Score
offer him now ... at worst he would be a Larry Taylor type at best he's Barry Sanders... but I guess he shouldnt make so many long runs that skews his numbers : )

THC

Reaction Score
offer him now ... at worst he would be a Larry Taylor type at best he's Barry Sanders... but I guess he shouldnt make so many long runs that skews his numbers : )
Yeah, I hate those pesky long runs skewing the numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom