Arkansas Postgame Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Arkansas Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Christyn made a mental error when she didn't call time out immediately after securing the rebound. She dribbled away 3 seconds. If she had immediately called Time Out, UConn could have advanced the ball to half court with 3 seconds on the clock.
Because neither she nor ONO think the game or understand situations. It’s lack of BB IQ.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Because neither she nor ONO think the game or understand situations. It’s lack of BB IQ.
Just to point out the obvious, while Christyn most certainly should have called timeout when she secured the rebound, any of the other 4 UConn players on the court at that time could also call timeout, so I guess Paige, Evina & Nika also lack BB IQ. :confused:

Reaction Score
With the exception of Evina. She had a quiet 19 points but I think she should be shooting and driving and pulling up much more. She is an acknowledged leader also and that is very important.
Completely agree. Sometimes I forget she’s one our our veterans since she’s new to the program.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Time to get Piath into the mix a bit. In the brief moments she has played, she looked pretty good to my untrained eye.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arkansas game:
  • UConn shoots 59% in the first half and heads to the locker room with a 2-pt lead. At that point I knew UConn was in trouble. Arkansas is one tough team to play against, and Dungee belongs in the pros, although I’m not crazy about that flying chicken-wing of hers.
  • Every time UConn threw the ball into the post, Arkansas swarmed all over it, generally neutralizing UConn’s size advantage.
  • Pleased with Nika’s minutes off the bench. She didn’t try to do too much or play too fast, and she knocked down several key shots.
  • I guess we’re back to playing with another 5’11” center?
  • Paige and Evina both came up big tonight, but it wasn't enough
  • I know there will be criticism about players, coaching strategy, etc., but the simple truth is that Arkansas was a better team than UConn tonight. They shot it well, took better care of the ball, played tough team defense, boxed out and hit the boards. They earned the W.
You nailed it. But since I have to vent, here is my take;

1. Olivia may not be suited for playing center. She could do nothing, despite her significant height advantage and experience level.
2. Williams is the worst " high school player of the year " in history. She can't be counted on for anything.
3. Evina is a rock and, without her, we would have lost a long while back, to DePaul or someone.
4. Paige can and must take over games ( though I think her ankle is still a bit limiting ).
5. Aubrey surprised me by fading into a non factor in this game. She cannot shoot threes. And they knew it and gave her every opportunity. And they were right.
6. Edwards is like a wrecking ball. She fouls every time she moves. I give her this; she is tough, aggressive and full of energy. But she can't be counted upon for much. Not yet.
7. Muhl played pretty well and hit a couple shots. She is a decent defender. But not a real player on offense. Not yet.
8. McClain spends more time splayed on the court than anyone in the league. Her main game seems to be: try to draw a charge. And more often, she is called for the foul. She did hit a three, which is a good sign. But it seemed like a mistake, somehow.

The team does not play like a team at all. The reliable UCONN defense wasn't in the arena, and no " adjustments " seemed to change a thing. I was shocked that the game ended with a narrow point margin, not that we lost. Probably a useful loss. But I cannot imagine this team progressing beyond the sweet sixteen. Can you?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Playing the sequences down 3 with only 30 secs left was questionable by Geno as well. And Christyn wasn't the only one who should have been screaming TIMEOUT right away.
There was a stretch of several possessions late in the third quarter or early in the fourth when Nika was face-guarding Dungee. All Dungee got in that stretch was a couple of foul shots from a foul on Mir. I don't know why they switched away from that.

Reaction Score
Well why didn't he get her out when she got the 4th. I don't want to hear the "he wanted to leave her in to see if she could play with 4" nonsense. Nobody could guard anyone. The game moves to quick for Geno sometimes.
Unbelievable! Now we need to get rid of our “slow” Hall of Fame coach?

Reaction Score
When the two most experienced players "need to learn" anything, especially after over two years of practicing and playing for Geno, maybe their games need to be adjusted to their limitations. Olivia is a shot blocking soft player who plays well against soft teams but can easily be out-muscled and hustled on offense and defense and has never been a good finisher. CW is a situational scorer, not a leader who takes the most shots and is "go to" in the clutch. They should play to their strengths, while others, like Paige and Evina do the heavy lifting. As a freshman, it's fair for us to say that Edwards "needs to learn" how to play under control and not foul.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
8. McClain spends more time splayed on the court than anyone in the league. Her main game seems to be: try to draw a charge. And more often, she is called for the foul. She did hit a three, which is a good sign. But it seemed like a mistake, somehow.
I noticed this, too. I think in the first four possessions she played, she flopped on every one. :(

Reaction Score
Arkansas shot 53% from 3 when SC played them this year. However SC only allowed them to take 13 attempts. Dawn philosophy is to run them off of the three point line and give them 2 point jumpers. I don't understand why anyone would play zone against Arkansas. When Arkansas drove the ball they were met by multiple shot blockers at the rim. Eventually they stopped driving and settle for the two point jump shots. SC always kill Arkansas on the glass so it is hard for them to beat SC no matter how well they shoot.

Teams in the SEC are use to playing Arkansas. So playing them for the first time they will surprise you with their pace, three point proficiency and dribble drives.

Reaction Score
Result did not surprise me, this was the biggest game Arkansas has ever played, geared up to “establish” their program. By the end of the season where will they be? Geno will need to put this team on the backs of their leaders, Paige and Evina.
I agree. The problem is that CW is continually taking the most shots on the team and is shooting 28% from behind the arc whereas Paige is shooting 56% and Evina is shooting 45% from the 3. CW has taken almost twice as many 3s as Paige. If you want to change course, that has to stop. The first 2 options should be Paige and Evina. They are both high efficiency scorers and excellent free throw shooters.

Reaction Score
Losing this game can be looked back as a major growth step for our team. Lost by 3 to a ranked team on the road that played darn near perfect (for them). Nika and Mir came in and really did well. I'm not going to cry about this. It was a really good exciting game. That's what everybody wants , right?
Absolutely but a win would have still been nicer.

Reaction Score
Arkansas deserved to win because they shot better and played better defense. They also got all the calls as they foul every time on the way to the basket. They will have a hard time playing with refs who won't allow that. Our juniors once again failed to show up. Liv was terrible and CW disappeared for long stretches. EW was great as was Paige who finally understood in the 4th quarter what Geno has been trying to tell her. We needed Anna tonight. Those who have been down on her should now see what her value is. Nika played well tonight and hit some shots. I wasn't particularly impressed by AE who kept bringing the ball down to where their guards took it away from her. Not sure where AG was in the 2nd half. Mir played pretty well but still doesn't know the offense. Almost pulled it out again but should not have been in that position. Very disappointing.
Pretty rare for us to shoot 50+% on 2s and 3s and lose.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Just to point out the obvious, while Christyn most certainly should have called timeout when she secured the rebound, any of the other 4 UConn players on the court at that time could also call timeout, so I guess Paige, Evina & Nika also lack BB IQ. :confused:
This was not low basketball IQ it is simply not knowing a rule which seldom comes into play and I don't know if the players were ever taught this rule.

The rule is: "If the team advances the ball by a pass or dribble, in any direction, before the timeout is granted, the team will no longer have the option to advance the ball.".

Reaction Score
No, that was Williams’ primary responsibility. She was the first to know she had possession.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Who will fall the farthest, UConn or NC State. I say NC State.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

1. Olivia may not be suited for playing center. She could do nothing, despite her significant height advantage and experience level.
2. Williams is the worst " high school player of the year " in history. She can't be counted on for anything.
3. Evina is a rock and, without her, we would have lost a long while back, to DePaul or someone.
4. Paige can and must take over games ( though I think her ankle is still a bit limiting ).
5. Aubrey surprised me by fading into a non factor in this game. She cannot shoot threes. And they knew it and gave her every opportunity. And they were right.
6. Edwards is like a wrecking ball. She fouls every time she moves. I give her this; she is tough, aggressive and full of energy. But she can't be counted upon for much. Not yet.
7. Muhl played pretty well and hit a couple shots. She is a decent defender. But not a real player on offense. Not yet.

The team does not play like a team at all. The reliable UCONN defense wasn't in the arena, and no " adjustments " seemed to change a thing. I was shocked that the game ended with a narrow point margin, not that we lost. Probably a useful loss. But I cannot imagine this team progressing beyond the sweet sixteen. Can you?
Mir drew two charges.

Reaction Score

Yes, I definitely can. Arkansas has played more games than anyone else in the country and we have not played very many especially considering that during our comeback we had 3 freshmen on the floor. We have a huge upside in growth whereas Arkansas does not. They shot 56.5% from 3 land. That is absurd. Put that in regular 2 point perspective it's like shooting over 80% from the field. We need to readjust in my view. CW cannot, repeat cannot, be the principal shooter. She does not have a solid 3 point shot, being 28% thus far this season. She was 0-5 tonight. It hurts the team. It has to be a one-two punch of Paige and Evina with the most shots from here on in or we may not be able to get to the Final Four.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom