Arkansas-Little Rock Performing Feasibility Study On Adding Football | The Boneyard

Arkansas-Little Rock Performing Feasibility Study On Adding Football

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
After 50 Years, UALR Football Could Make a Comeback

With the University of Arkansas seeming inclined to phase out its Little Rock games, Stodola has his eyes on a new tenant for one of the city's prized possessions. War Memorial hold 55-thousand people but on most Saturdays this fall, the stadium will sit empty.

"I think that we should find uses now and I think UALR is a very likely candidate." said Stodola.
Little Rock Attorney Kevin Crass has an interesting perspective. He's chair of the War Memorial Stadium Commission and sits on the UALR Board of Visitors.

"What the stadium offers to UALR is a ready built facility," Crass said. "It's something the university certainly should be discussing."

Newly hired UALR Athletic Director Chase Conque said football can galvanize a university. "Football can bring a community together; it brings a campus together."

UALR is one of only two school in the Sun Belt Conference without a team."We understand our league is becoming more of a football league," Conque said. Also saying taking on football is a huge commitment. "The numbers, they don't lie, it's an expensive venture."

Based on what its cost at other universities, Conque believes starting football at UALR would take $10 -$15-million up front and increasing his department's $9-million athletic budget by nearly 70 percent.

"You have to look at an increase in your academic support, your increase in sports medicine, making sure you have the right training staff in place."

If they built it, Malcomb Willaims said players in Little Rock would come."If they recruit in the city, they will have a lot of talent. I think it will actually be a pretty good team," said Williams.

Reaction Score
I wonder who else would add football...I doubt noone in the Northeast would...

Reaction Score
The Violets...love that moniker. You could work with it.

If they have a 10 win season they become the Ultra Violets.

Maybe there could be a special stadium section for the NYU Department of Psychiatry folks...The Shrinking Violets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom