Arizona Wildcats WBB | The Boneyard

Arizona Wildcats WBB

Reaction Score
I would think Cate Reese and Sam Thomas are givens, probably Ariyah Copeland as well.

Then you also have Yeaney, Pellington, Pueyo, Love, Chavez, Ware, and potentially Rogers.

Plus you’ve got freshmen Vonleh (post), Gret Asi (point guard), and Conner (shooting guard).

If Barnes can work out the chemistry (which is not always easy with a large volume of transfers and newcomers), they’ll be very good again.

Reaction Score
Reese, Love, Thomas, Yeaney, Chavez would be my guess at the moment, if they add Rogers then I think Chavez would be moved to the bench. They actually look like a top Pac12 team on paper.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I have no idea, it takes me a while to absorb who "new" players are. I can say that in the zoom Q & A for donors with the 3 major coaches, one of the questions she was asked was point guard and she said Yeaney. All that means, of course, is that's the plan. Things could change. I do agree that Reese and Thomas are locks and I know she is high on Love.

Ware is probably going to start the season playing volleyball, unless something changes. I know she was invited to one of the USA basketball team tryouts, which is great, but she has consistently stated her 2-sport commitment. The decision to play basketball (only) this year was due to the change in Volleyball season and the feeling that, if she was going to play only one, she would benefit most from playing basketball. And Coach Rubio from Women's Volleyball supported the decision.

Reaction Score
I would think that Reese, Thomas and Yeaney are givens.

Pellington is one of their best players, I hope she starts.

AZgirl

Pac-12 women's sports all day long
Reaction Score
I am wondering how long Ware will continue with volleyball. Adia drops anvils that she thinks Ware would be better off sticking to basketball. I want to see her play volleyball, but I just have a nag in the back of my mind.

If Rogers ends up at Arizona,
I think she will be the starting PG. Otherwise, I think Pellington and Chavez start in the backcourt with Yeaney or Pueyo first off the bench.

Pellington had a coming out party in the tournament after really struggling all season. She played well for Team Canada, so her struggle all regular season surprised me. Hopefully she will be postseason Shaina from the start next year.

Thomas and Reese are foregone conclusions. Copeland will start in the front court.

As for reserves, they are super deep now which is a first. They have had bodies before, but the talent has been lacking.

Adia has said a few times that Anna Gret Asi doesn't want to be a PG in college, so we will see how that goes.

Koi Love will play both the 3 and 4 based on what Adia said this week. Pueyo can play 1 through 3.

Depending on how much Ware plays, Reese may get to play the 4 more this year. It would suit her.

Smith might get some minutes as a reserve if Ware sticks to her volleyball desire. If she doesn't, Smith will join Erdogan as a returner who rarely sees the court.

I am interested in seeing what Vonleh does. Before ESPN switched the company doing their rankings, she was a 5* ranked in the top 30ish. When they switched, she dropped to No. 100 and a 4*. I want to see which is more accurate.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am wondering how long Ware will continue with volleyball. Adia drops anvils that she thinks Ware would be better off sticking to basketball. I want to see her play volleyball, but I just have a nag in the back of my mind.

I think she will be the starting PG. Otherwise, I think Pellington and Chavez start in the backcourt with Yeaney or Pueyo first off the bench.

Pellington had a coming out party in the tournament after really struggling all season. She played well for Team Canada, so her struggle all regular season surprised me. Hopefully she will be postseason Shaina from the start next year.

Thomas and Reese are foregone conclusions. Copeland will start in the front court.

As for reserves, they are super deep now which is a first. They have had bodies before, but the talent has been lacking.

Adia has said a few times that Anna Gret Asi doesn't want to be a PG in college, so we will see how that goes.

Koi Love will play both the 3 and 4 based on what Adia said this week. Pueyo can play 1 through 3.

Depending on how much Ware plays, Reese may get to play the 4 more this year. It would suit her.

Smith might get some minutes as a reserve if Ware sticks to her volleyball desire. If she doesn't, Smith will join Erdogan as a returner who rarely sees the court.

I am interested in seeing what Vonleh does. Before ESPN switched the company doing their rankings, she was a 5* ranked in the top 30ish. When they switched, she dropped to No. 100 and a 4*. I want to see which is more accurate.
What happened to the rating system? I am curious to know?

AZgirl

Reaction Score
What happened to the rating system? I am curious to know?
ESPN just started contracting with a different group to provide the HoopGurlz content. Dan Olson of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report used to do the evaluations. Now, they're handled by Premier Basketball. The very first one that was released by the new group was radically different than the previous group's evaluations for the 2021 class.

Both of Arizona’s domestic recruits dropped pretty dramatically and Anna Gret Asi was given a 4.5* rating, although she isn't ranked alongside U.S. players. Don't ask what that half-star thing means. It's peculiar to this new group doing ESPN's rankings.

Reaction Score
ESPN just started contracting with a different group to provide the HoopGurlz content. Dan Olson of Collegiate Girls Basketball Report used to do the evaluations. Now, they're handled by Premier Basketball. The very first one that was released by the new group was radically different than the previous group's evaluations for the 2021 class.

Both of Arizona’s domestic recruits dropped pretty dramatically and Anna Gret Asi was given a 4.5* rating, although she isn't ranked alongside U.S. players. Don't ask what that half-star thing means. It's peculiar to this new group doing ESPN's rankings.
Do you remember when they released that first one? That way we have a little idea of when we can expect the next big update

AZgirl

Reaction Score
Do you remember when they released that first one? That way we have a little idea of when we can expect the next big update
According to Premier's announcement of the partnership, it was scheduled for September 8, 2020. That sounds about right to me because I remember it being a couple of months before signing day because we were looking at how much the Arizona recruits had plummeted.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Wow. Never once, at any point watching any Arizona game this year, did I think Yeaney should be playing PG. I just don't see it.
Well - an update. In today's paper, a big mother's day writeup, included the following:

- she is hoping to sign a point guard (I think her Yeaney remark to the donors was to a question of who was going to take over Aari's role on the court, Aari was (often) the point guard so I may have taken her too literally)

- she has been approached for other jobs; she was the lowest paid HC in the PAC when hired and now will be 3rd behind Tara and Kevin Graves. She never-the-less really, really - did I say really - wants to be the Arizona coach. Dawn Staley was singing her praises in the piece.

and she has been making the rounds of quite a few programs on various networks.

Reaction Score

Was really happy to see her have this breakout during the tournament. It hasn't been easy for her considering her challenges at Oklahoma. She's stuck through it and is reaping the benefits.

I'm hoping she makes Team Canada for the Olympics. Playing at that level will be a great experience and she'll bring back what she has learned to the team for the upcoming season.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There have been some coaches who made surprising runs to the Final 4 that didn't really seem to cash in on it. Not the case w/ Adia. She is hot right now, getting both HS players and transfers. It remains to be seen, but I don't think UA is going to fade or go away after McDonald left.

AZgirl

Reaction Score
Eh, we got a 5 star aspiring dr.
We already had one, but not nearly as highly regarded as the new one. ?
Semaj Smith came to Arizona for med school, too. Orthopedics from what I remember. She was a borderline 5*/4* depending on the service.

Reaction Score
Semaj Smith came to Arizona for med school, too. Orthopedics from what I remember. She was a borderline 5*/4* depending on the service.

Choosing a specific college because you want to be an orthopod doesn't make a heck of a lot of sense, but I guess a lot of accepted medical students come in without knowing how all that works.

Reaction Score
So far for Class of 2022:
  1. Maya Nnaji
  2. Kailyn Gilbert
I truly coveted Maya. Wish she was gonna be a Gamecoc. I think she has tremendous offensive skills including advanced footwork and capable shooting with either hand. To me, she is the best offensive Post on the board. He other skills are also solid.

You guys have a great class going. I watched Kailyn playing against Janiah Barker's much more talented team. Kailyn carried her team to the near upset. I was quite impressedGreat game if you haven't seen it.

Congrats again! BTW, that's not Barker leaning over Gilbert and taunting her. That's a teammate who had just blocked gibert's shot in the last 30 seconds or so. Barker knocks her teammate down to stop the taunting and avoid the T.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's interesting that Smith was rated so high because she doesn't get any PT

AZgirl

Reaction Score
It's interesting that Smith was rated so high because she doesn't get any PT
She is a walking foul. If you can't play defense without fouling, it is tough to play for Adia. She's also not very... fluid? Graceful? Not sure how to put it, but her footwork just seems stilted.

I think she was one of those players who got by on size in high school and travel ball. She probably could have played elsewhere if she transferred, but she and Adia are very fond of each other. I believe Semaj's godmother has ties to Adia, so there was some familial trust there before she came.

As for choosing a school in order to pursue a medical degree, I believe the reasoning was to go to a school with a strong reputation in the sciences and the expertise to guide her. Who knows how much it really matters.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom