Arizona Postgame Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Arizona Postgame Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBK

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Arizona game:
  • Arizona is the most experienced team UConn has faced in the tournament, and their defense never allowed UConn to settle into its offensive comfort zone.
  • Christyn was one of the few Huskies to show up on offense, and I actually believe she played pretty good defense, but it didn’t matter when McDonald hit shots from the cheap seats with a hand in in her face or threw more moves at UConn's defense than Elvis. The 5th foul on Christyn was an awful call, a complete phantom foul.
  • Paige and Evina got going a little in the second half, but UConn needed more from everyone.
  • There is certainly much to criticize about UConn’s play, but I will leave that to others. The Huskies fought to the very end tonight.
  • It has been a great season for these young Huskies. The future is incredibly bright. Hoping we can make it back to the promised land next year and finally get that 12th banner for Gampel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I think in many ways the moment got a little too big for the UConn players today. Interestingly, during the final 3 minutes UConn had only 2 three point attempts, the last a desperation shot at the end. But, c'est la vie. Wonderful year by a young team full of wonderful people. Some say you learn more from your losses than your wins. That is of course not the complete truth. You learn a lot from both. You learn from ties and even when you're not involved. It's just that you remember the hard loses more than the wins. They'll learn a lot from this, and hopefully this will burn a hole in their hearts that will never heal until they're vindicated with a championship. 2022 baby. See you there.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I think the pressure got to the whole team, after all, only 2 players had been here before and one of them seemed to have the deer in the headlights look for most of the game. We just never recovered from AZ's seemingly effortless start to the game by just shooting the lights out. We will be a completely different team next year, bank on it!!!!!

Reaction Score
If the bigs would have done better, I think it would have opened it up for Paige, CW and Evina. Paige with 18 on that tough defense wasn't a bad effort. Two of the fouls on CW were bogus. The last call on her especially, but she drew the charge and was but was called for a block.

Reaction Score
Congrats AZ. Well deserved the team playing in champion game. Good luck for them.
Give credit to CW. Take up in the offense end.
Paige should be more agressive in the first half. Not doing well. She is the reason I follow UConn this season. Hope she can become better and bette.
Disappointed with ONO. No show for her.
Evina should enter WNBA. Such a great great teammate.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Congrats to UConn on a fabulous season. I think you win a few Championships in the next few years. Congrats to Arizona on a fabulous game.

Congrats to the Pac 12 on assuring another Championship.
Best conference in WCBB 3 years running.

Reaction Score
ONO just isn’t an offensive player, we should all just accept it. She also plays super nervous under pressure. If I were Geno and I’m not, next year she wouldn’t get a pass to start just because of her history here. If she needs to come off of the bench... oh well. I wouldn’t wait for her anymore, tonight proved it. I always was thinking things were gonna come around for her, but no, realistically, she is a role player. It’s just we have no one better at the moment. Aaliyah is better, but she isn’t a center. But props to CW, she proved everyone wrong, girl is a balla even under pressure. She in my opinion has lived up to expectations. Wait til next year, I predict a huuuuuige year from CW and an undefeated season.

Reaction Score
More offense coming next year- Arizona smothered them. Not sure how the offensive plan was flawed but 2nd half didn’t look any different from first half.

Reaction Score
Congrats to Arizona! Played great defense, played smarter and hit some shots for the win.

My take on why UCONN lost:
1) little to no poise and composure
2) ONO -frustrating to watch all those missed layups; tam did not get the ball enough to AE

Reaction Score
And I just have to say, this stat line by ONO should and will go down as one of the most aggressive no shows in a big game in UConn history.

She was the tallest player by like 4-5 inches, the entire game plan from the outset was to feed the post, and instead she goes 0-7 from the field, 1-4 from the stripe, AND picks up two quick fouls to get the team entirely out of gameplan.

I feel bad for her but it's just the truth. Both qualitatively and quantitatively an epic bad performance.
Screenshot_20210402-233947.png

Reaction Score
An ugly game, for sure. Credit to Macdonald, who was hitting from everywhere. And the refs sucked, as usual, especially Christyn's phantom 5th foul. BUT... ONO was horrible.. missed layup after missed layup. Paige was only ordinary, not a POY performance. The rest were little more than okay. I said way back when that missed layups might haunt us, and they did tonight. Missed free throws didn't help, either. BUT, we got beat by a team that played better, and seemed to want it more. I don't know if we were looking ahead, or what. This loss hurts... and I'm sure it hurts the team more than it hurts me. On to next year....

Reaction Score
I think it’s fair to say that the fast start by
Arizona was the key to the game
UConn felt the pressures for it showed in their play
Easy to say it was great defense by
Arizona but think it was just as much
Poor offense

Reaction Score
Proud of them, really.

Williams showed a lot of growth this season, that’s so important.

But our two best players are Freshmen, and expecting them to be able to keep their composure in the final four and carry the team. That’s a lot to ask.

Diana Taurasi and Kemba Walker could struggle in a final four game their freshman year..that shows the pressure of the Final Four game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom