Arizona played really well in the second half | The Boneyard

Arizona played really well in the second half

Reaction Score
Sometimes a lesser team will hang around with a heavyweight that's either checked out, playing poorly, or battling foul trouble. That's not what happened in the second half tonight. That was an absurdly talented Arizona team playing hard, in front of their home crowd, knocking down three after three out of our doubles on Ayton and Ristic in the post. And yet with five minutes left, without one of our most important players, we had the ball, down two.

Before somebody accuses me of looking for moral victories or prettying up another 15 point loss, save your time. It wasn't a moral victory. They played poorly in the first half and melted down in the final five minutes. They'll probably open up as significant underdogs @ Auburn and be exhausted by the time they get there. It's still not a good team and, especially without Gilbert, there would appear to be some real limits on what they can be. You're probably looking at .500 in the AAC give or take.

But at least there's a heartbeat. At least we can say they went blow for blow with arguably the most talented team in the country for 35 minutes, undermanned, on their home floor. There were moments when Jalen finished at the rim against the potential #1 pick in the draft, moments where Larrier got to his spot and murdered a helpless defender with a turnaround, and then times where Diarra looked like a kangaroo around the rim.

Nobody cares that a 15.5 point underdog lost by 15 and nobody is adjusting their final four picks to include UConn. There was a pulse tonight, though, and that's more than we've been able to say these past few years in similar situations. Honestly, I kind of expected a 30+ point loss tonight. I'm half-expecting one on Saturday. But they played hard and actually got me off the couch a few times. It felt like UConn basketball. Hopefully we can build on that in 36 hours.

Reaction Score
But they played hard and actually got me off the couch a few times. It felt like UConn basketball. Hopefully we can build on that in 36 hours.
This is the most important thing right now, for the entire season. Our guys can't feel defeated. If they come out against Auburn and play like they did in the last 4 minutes of this game, it will be a disastrous end to OOC play. That's what happend against Arkansas. Ollie cannot let that happen again.

If we build on the best moments of this game and play 40 solid minutes at Auburn, we may end up with the best win yet of this season. It's entirely possible. It's also entirely possible we will get blown out.

It just sucks that this critical moment in the season is going to occur over only 36 hours with a 1500 mile plane ride and Christmas looming on the horizon.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Not saying that I disagree with much of what you said in your post.

Just sad that it's come to acknowledging and being happy a UConn team played tough for nearly a full game.

Reaction Score
Yeah, Champs I'm in the same boat, tbh.

I mean they knocked down freaking 7 of 10 three pointers. Most of which were contested or were off of us doubling down on bigs and them fumbling to kick the ball out. There's not much you can do about that. And we really did shut Ayton down most of the game. We did everything that could be asked. Ristic was the guy to challenge and he stepped up. Our defensive intensity was great and we gave them all they could handle on the boards given what we've got up front. What was particularly harmful was - at least from the view on my couch - that every time we got within two, they'd hit that three. Or we'd shoot ourselves in the foot with a bad turnover/possession. A few times, that'd happen in combination where we'd cough the ball up, get back, double down on the bigs and they'd bungle around with bad ball movement and hit some misplaced trailer and drain a three. Sometimes, that's just basketball.

Truth of the matter is though, that the reason much of that happened is because we're just out gunned. We lack a lot of size up front even though we're gamey. We don't have a lights out shooter. And we didn't have a PG - which was the problem we had last year. And above all else - we severely lack depth. The guys who needed to give us good games tonight really did sans Adams. We just didn't have enough chips to play at crucial points and this is usually what happens...

Reaction Score
If AZ can get their shiite together, they will go deep in the tourney.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Yeah, Champs I'm in the same boat, tbh.

I mean they knocked down freaking 7 of 10 three pointers. Most of which were contested or were off of us doubling down on bigs and them fumbling to kick the ball out. There's not much you can do about that. And we really did shut Ayton down most of the game. We did everything that could be asked. Ristic was the guy to challenge and he stepped up. Our defensive intensity was great and we gave them all they could handle on the boards given what we've got up front. What was particularly harmful was - at least from the view on my couch - that every time we got within two, they'd hit that three. Or we'd shoot ourselves in the foot with a bad turnover/possession. A few times, that'd happen in combination where we'd cough the ball up, get back, double down on the bigs and they'd bungle around with bad ball movement and hit some misplaced trailer and drain a three. Sometimes, that's just basketball.

Truth of the matter is though, that the reason much of that happened is because we're just out gunned. We lack a lot of size up front even though we're gamey. We don't have a lights out shooter. And we didn't have a PG - which was the problem we had last year. And above all else - we severely lack depth. The guys who needed to give us good games tonight really did sans Adams. We just didn't have enough chips to play at crucial points and this is usually what happens...
Ristic was the killer. From start to finish. I think he missed 1 left handed floater all night. In fact,they weren't floaters, He shoved them in from 8 feet.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ristic was the killer. From start to finish. I think he missed 1 left handed floater all night. In fact,they weren't floaters, He shoved them in from 8 feet.
Euro old-man game players have always kicked our butt. But the dude didn’t leave the paint all night and was straight trucking players all night.

Reaction Score
Some coaches do a better job then others coaching at halftime and the 2nd half. I remember when we had a guy like that.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Zona made three straight quick threes early in the second half which we survived and then again late in the game to gain the separation at the end

A couple of those threes were pretty deep too, 7 out of 10 in the 2nd half combined with a pretty good post game and they're going to be very hard to beat. Especially at home

Reaction Score
The offense stunk in the first five minutes of the game and made one basket. Two points in the first five five minutes. We stunk in the last seven minutes and made one basket. We basically had no offense for 12 minutes for a 40 minute game.

The defense was pretty good in stretches. However they could score inside or outside. When they were scoring inside we kept it close. When we crowded the inside they killed us from the outside and ran away. IMHO, I would rather cover the arc and let our bigs get worked (and perhaps learn to play inside).

If Larrier leaves his man all alone at the arc one more time...... his defense was particular bad down the stretch.

Reaction Score
We always pick on the bigs but I look around the league and see 6-8/6-9 doing big things for their respective teams example wofford big man.. we have those bigs, now having them play with confidence and to just slow it down sheesh .. Carlton gets the ball in the post decides the spin move and forgot he’s centimeters away from the out of bounds line which resulted in TO . Cobb using unnecessary moves on Ayton which resulted in a block shot the others he’s falling all over the floor n then gives this holy grail look ‍♂️ Lol like dude come on pass it back out or simply take ya time , same with Larrier with his loose handles, n Adams was simply sloppy

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Their best player was on the bench most of the first half. We hung in but choked every time we had a chance to take the lead and fell apart in a panic at the end.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Their best player was on the bench most of the first half. We hung in but choked every time we had a chance to take the lead and fell apart in a panic at the end.

If we said our player was in foul trouble, or injured, or still rehabbing, you'd tell us "it's just another excuse" and blame it on Ollie

The dumpster fire spin is a bottomless pit

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Nobody cares that a 15.5 point underdog lost by 15...
Other than red penciling the line above, I like this post a lot and I like the responses it has gotten. Only one person I ignore weighed in, and the comment was balanced & thoughtful, as were a couple from folks on the fault line. In short, we saw a game worth watching, and Arizona's better. MSU had some similar characteristics, and I'm glad Cobb has returned.

Reaction Score
Other than red penciling the line above, I like this post a lot and I like the responses it has gotten. Only one person I ignore weighed in, and the comment was balanced & thoughtful, as were a couple from folks on the fault line. In short, we saw a game worth watching, and Arizona's better. MSU had some similar characteristics, and I'm glad Cobb has returned.

Your last two sentences summarize how I feel perfectly. And in case I wasn't clear or am misinterpreting your red pencil comment, I referenced the Vegas line only to make note of the fact that this is an achievement that is only going to be noticed by people who closely follow the program. Nobody outside of Storrs will think anything other than "Arizona took care of business against a bad team." For us, this is the sort of game we look back on as a turning point if we can manage to right the ship and get to the tournament.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Your last two sentences summarize how I feel perfectly. And in case I wasn't clear or am misinterpreting your red pencil comment, I referenced the Vegas line only to make note of the fact that this is an achievement that is only going to be noticed by people who closely follow the program. Nobody outside of Storrs will think anything other than "Arizona took care of business against a bad team." For us, this is the sort of game we look back on as a turning point if we can manage to right the ship and get to the tournament.
OK, I'm not a bettor, but didn't Arizona NOT take care of things?
With 15.5 or 16 points, doesn't UConn come out the winner?
Irrespective of it not being a 30+ point beat down as some predicted months ago, there must be some posters who would have been very unhappy if the spread wasn't covered after how close the game had been until the final minutes. I think this possibility was even mentioned in the game thread.

Reaction Score
Some coaches do a better job then others coaching at halftime and the 2nd half. I remember when we had a guy like that.

Agree he should have gone out and guarded those guys in the 2nd half that went 7-10 from 3 with a hand in their face? LOL:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
If we said our player was in foul trouble, or injured, or still rehabbing, you'd tell us "it's just another excuse" and blame it on Ollie

The dumpster fire spin is a bottomless pit

It's incredible how little they bring to any thread. I think bass may have finally said something positive and insightful for the 1st time in months but then followed it up with the usual "if only we could get back"..fun and entertaining group. haha

Reaction Score
OK, I'm not a bettor, but didn't Arizona NOT take care of things?
With 15.5 or 16 points, doesn't UConn come out the winner?
Irrespective of it not being a 30+ point beat down as some predicted months ago, there must be some posters who would have been very unhappy if the spread wasn't covered after how close the game had been until the final minutes. I think this possibility was even mentioned in the game thread.

That's correct. UConn covered the spread and those who watched the game in its entirety know that it was even closer than that. I'm sure Arizona fans have plenty to worry about. For everybody else, I think it's status quo.

Reaction Score

The point of mentioning how well Arizona played in the second half is that Ollie did have them prepared and that they managed to gain traction against an elite team on the road even under the toughest circumstances. Your conclusion is illogical and is based on a sample that contradicts it. That's just a fact.

Reaction Score
The point of mentioning how well Arizona played in the second half is that Ollie did have them prepared and that they managed to gain traction against an elite team on the road even under the toughest circumstances. Your conclusion is illogical and is based on a sample that contradicts it. That's just a fact.
Wrong. This scenario has been repeated multiple times. See Mich St. see Arkansas see Syracuse etc. close and lose convincingly. Maybe that’s ok with you and for a Mid Major that’s acceptable. I see this program different and believe we should be at another level. But hay they did play tough and not quit. Yes I’ll give them that but isn’t that we’re supposed to do!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom