Arizona game and Muhl | The Boneyard

Arizona game and Muhl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Replying to Cocohusky from the locked Ono thread regarding Muhl’s minutes vs. Arizona. A player as intense and competitive as Muhl sets a tenor, an attitude from the start of a game, she is an “anti-taking anyone lightly“ style player. Her minutes against Arizona came primarily in the 2nd half, largely from the middle of the 3rd quarter to the end of the game and by that time the confidence of Arizona that they could win was established and Uconn had settled into an offensive malaise. It is no coincidence Uconn got it down to five in the 4th when Muhl started getting the ball in the back court and pushed it. Obviously, there is no way to know if the game would have been different if she started but I think it would have been drastically so. Obviously it is all just speculation but that’s certainly my opinion In hindsight from the cheap seats.

Reaction Score
I was in the “Nika shouldn’t start” camp because the team played its best ball after she was injured. There’s no way of telling if Nika would have made a win or lose difference if she had started but when she entered the game, she played with a sense of urgency that was missing on this team for the entire game. Still not sure about the “starting 5” issue but her value to the team is beyond question.

Reaction Score
There were times in that game - mostly before Nika came in - where Arizona would make a shot and UConn would bring the ball up court in a really slow, desultory manner. I can't recall many other times when a team that wasn't filled with super tall and/or lengthy athletic players (the Baylors, SCs, etc.) was able to so dominate the pace of the game that our offense was sometimes loathe to even attempt pace when it was possible.

They punched us in the mouth hard in that game, and we never recovered. It was apparent in the body language at times.

You won't find much to recommend Nika over our other players based on stats, because her stats weren't especially impressive. But with the benefit of 20/20 hindsight, I agree that it probably wouldn't have made things worse if she had gone in earlier. The lineup we had in without her should have been the more effective lineup on paper, but in practice that wasn't the case. Oh well, I'm no coach, and we'll never know for sure if she would have made the difference...this is just a thought exercise.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Replying to Cocohusky from the locked Ono thread regarding Muhl’s minutes vs. Arizona. A player as intense and competitive as Muhl sets a tenor, an attitude from the start of a game, she is an “anti-taking anyone lightly“ style player. Her minutes against Arizona came primarily in the 2nd half, largely from the middle of the 3rd quarter to the end of the game and by that time the confidence of Arizona that they could win was established and Uconn had settled into an offensive malaise. It is no coincidence Uconn got it down to five in the 4th when Muhl started getting the ball in the back court and pushed it. Obviously, there is no way to know if the game would have been different if she started but I think it would have been drastically so. Obviously it is all just speculation but that’s certainly my opinion In hindsight from the cheap seats.
Just to be clear your prior post contained the following referring to the Arizona game: "That is where the loss of Muhl hurt BIG TIME." My response was simply pointing out that Nika was not a loss in that game she actually played 21 minutes. To amplify that point even in competitive games Nika does not play much more than 20 minutes especially when Anna is healthy. How effective Nika was or could have been during those 21 minutes is debatable. I've already pointed out and given Nika credit for the dribble drive and kick sequences which she originated in the 4th quarter that brought the team back in a separate thread.

New bone to pick with you: In that same post regarding the Arizona game you referred to Paige as "to passive". That's just not right! Paige was getting the snot knocked out of her by Arizona. She was anything but passive because every time she got knocked down she got up more determined. When she was sent to the line she shot 6 for 6. Paige was not passive!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am somewhat neutral regarding the minutes Muhl should have or have not played in the Arizonia game. While Muhl is a high intensity, high energy player, we needed better execution and points, not defense, in this game. Geno went with the lineup that had beaten Baylor and SC, two of the best teams in the sport. Hard to second guess that decision. Agree with Coco regarding Paige getting hammered throughout game. While I hate looking back, might have been better playing Muhl less but having her give Paige a brief rest and time to observe Arizonia's defense. Paige is one of the smartest players ever and giving her a few minutes to regroup may have had more value than having Muhl throwing her body around the court.

Reaction Score
As I said in other posts, Geno needed to kick start offense sooner. Putting Anna in no later than start of second half could—mind you, could—have done that.

Reaction Score
Just to be clear your prior post contained the following referring to the Arizona game: "That is where the loss of Muhl hurt BIG TIME." My response was simply pointing out that Nika was not a loss in that game she actually played 21 minutes. To amplify that point even in competitive games Nika does not play much more than 20 minutes especially when Anna is health. How effective Nika was or could have been during those 21 minutes is debatable. I've already pointed out and given Nika credit for the dribble drive and kick sequences which she originated in the 4th quarter that brought the team back in a separate thread.

New bone to pick with you: In that same post regarding the Arizona game you referred to Paige as "to passive". That's just not right! Paige was getting the snot knocked out of her by Arizona. She was anything but passive because every time she got knocked down she got up more determined. When she was sent to the line she shot 6 for 6. Paige was not passive!
Another lawyer, so I amend my comment to Muhl not starting hurt BIG TIME, my bad.
But the two ‘competitive games“ Muhl played in , Arkansas - 25 minutes, South Carolina - 35 minutes and Makurat not playing had nothing to do with that. So to say not much more than 20 is way wrong.
As for Bueckers, she was passive, 13 shots was just not enough; she missed a few wide open jumpers and stopped hunting shots. As for her getting knocked down, I don’t buy that for a second, SC was just as physical. The difference was her shots went in against them so she kept shooting. I realize she is “generational” and beyond having her game analyzed by many but not me and that is how I saw the game, we disagree.

Reaction Score
I am somewhat neutral regarding the minutes Muhl should have or have not played in the Arizonia game. While Muhl is a high intensity, high energy player, we needed better execution and points, not defense, in this game. Geno went with the lineup that had beaten Baylor and SC, two of the best teams in the sport. Hard to second guess that decision. Agree with Coco regarding Paige getting hammered throughout game. While I hate looking back, might have been better playing Muhl less but having her give Paige a brief rest and time to observe Arizonia's defense. Paige is one of the smartest players ever and giving her a few minutes to regroup may have had more value than having Muhl throwing her body around the court.
Again, Muhl played 35 minutes against SC so I am not sure how she was not part of the lineup. And you weren’t watching Muhl play if you think she only played defense and threw her body around.

Reaction Score
People who don't understand what a player like Nika Muhl brought to this team are those who don't understand the game. Geno said so himself that this is a better team with Nika than without, she certainly would've had a positive impact against Arizona had she been 100% and playing all the while.
I know it's disappointing losing in the FF four years in a row, but I think we're dwelling too much on it. This is a loaded team with a wealth of talent going into next year that if it remains healthy will be right back in the FF. If that occurs I would bet my mortgage that there will be a different outcome.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Another lawyer, so I amend my comment to Muhl not starting hurt BIG TIME, my bad.
But the two ‘competitive games“ Muhl played in , Arkansas - 25 minutes, South Carolina - 35 minutes and Makurat not playing had nothing to do with that. So to say not much more than 20 is way wrong.
As for Bueckers, she was passive, 13 shots was just not enough; she missed a few wide open jumpers and stopped hunting shots. As for her getting knocked down, I don’t buy that for a second, SC was just as physical. The difference was her shots went in against them so she kept shooting. I realize she is “generational” and beyond having her game analyzed by many but not me and that is how I saw the game, we disagree.
:eek: I'm not a lawyer so please take that back. TN was also a competitive game in which a healthy Nika logged zero minutes. Also my full statement was this: "even in competitive games Nika does not play much more than 20 minutes especially when Anna is healthy .
Tragic that you would call Paige passive against Arizona and in the same post want to give Nika credit for playing 35 Minutes against SC. I went back and check the game logs, the only entry I can find mid 4th quarter and OT for Nika were two fouls. Paige was ballin!

Reaction Score
:eek: I'm not a lawyer so please take that back. TN was also a competitive game in which a healthy Nika logged zero minutes. Also my full statement was this: "even in competitive games Nika does not play much more than 20 minutes especially when Anna is healthy .
Tragic that you would call Paige passive against Arizona and in the same post want to give Nika credit for playing 35 Minutes against SC. I went back and check the game logs, the only entry I can find mid 4th quarter and OT for Nika were two fouls. Paige was ballin!
More lawyer flimflam, Muhl didn’t play against Tennessee because Auriemma was sending her a message and you know it. And he was sending her a message because he knew how good she was and how much of a difference she would make. I am pretty sure that has been a recurring MO for him.
And if you are offended by being called a lawyer, don’t bring up minutes as an issue, be proven wrong, and then twist my point to suit yours. I readily acknowledge Bueckers played great against SC, just as she played passively against Arizona and I am pretty sure you realize that when there are two games, one has nothing to do with the other.
And Makurat affecting Muhl’s minutes holds no water, he played Muhl at the point because we were a better team with her on the court and Bueckers off the ball.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
More lawyer flimflam, Muhl didn’t play against Tennessee because Auriemma was sending her a message and you know it. And he was sending her a message because he knew how good she was and how much of a difference she would make. I am pretty sure that has been a recurring MO for him.
And if you are offended by being called a lawyer, don’t bring up minutes as an issue, be proven wrong, and then twist my point to suit yours. I readily acknowledge Bueckers played great against SC, just as she played passively against Arizona and I am pretty sure you realize that when there are two games, one has nothing to do with the other.
Geno used the entire TN game to send a message to Nika and the two games right before that she played 18 minutes and 13 minutes each. The game right after TN she started and played 36 minutes.

Last edited:

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
.... A player as intense and competitive as Muhl sets a tenor, an attitude from the start of a game, she is an “anti-taking anyone lightly“ style player.....
all the commentary in this thread about nika's shortfalls -- yeah, she's got a lot of room for improvement, defensively as well as offensively, and hopefully she can do that -- fails to take into account those things; she provides those crucial ingredients (i'd add intensity) to the team's chemistry, which other players have failed to provide for a long time. it's critical to the team.

until someone else does, i advise fans to start appreciating this contribition she's providing. it's golden. the other stuff is secondary.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Geno used the entire TN game to send a message to Nika and the two games right before that she played 18 minutes and 13 minutes each. The game right after TN she started and played 36 minutes.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I seem to remember a BY’er saying something to the effect that Nika’s 0 min vs TN was a “better measuring stick” of how Geno felt about her than the 36 min vs Georgetown. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I will give you one thing, you certainly can obfuscate, I love people who don’t let facts get in the way of a good story. Muhl was coming back from an injury and the short minutes when she came back were a result of her obstinance which was very well documented and culminated in her benching against Tennessee, but again you very well know all that.
So we went from 20 minutes in competitive games, which was nonsense, to none against Tennessee, which was nonsense, to the preceding games which were clear predecessors to the Tennessee benching. Keep on going, I never turn my nose up at comic relief;you may say you don’t like being called a lawyer but if the shoe fits................

Reaction Score
You can analyze it to death
But we make 4 bunnies that should have been made we win....
And Coach Wooden would also say avoid peaks and valleys ....the tough win against Baylor gave the girls a sense of false security....CW pretty much admitted to that in after game presser....,

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I already admitted my mistake and apologized to the BY about Dorka. I know you saw it because I got a rare “Like” from you.

When can we expect your apology about Nika for all your posts dismissing her athleticism, ability and technique including the statement, “Geno is not going to use NM unless he absolutely has to.”

Maybe I just missed your mea culpa?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I will give you one thing, you certainly can obfuscate, I love people who don’t let facts get in the way of a good story. Muhl was coming back from an injury and the short minutes when she came back were a result of her obstinance which was very well documented and culminated in her benching against Tennessee, but again you very well know all that.
So we went from 20 minutes in competitive games, which was nonsense, to none against Tennessee, which was nonsense, to the preceding games which were clear predecessors to the Tennessee benching. Keep on going, I never turn my nose up at comic relief;you may say you don’t like being called a lawyer but if the shoe fits................
:eek: I feel compelled to point out that Nika was also a healthy scratch (DNPCD) for three consecutive games (Creighton Xavier & Villanova) prior to TN -so if anything she should have been well rested.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, I already admitted my mistake and apologized to the BY about Dorka. I know you saw it because I got a rare “Like” from you.

When can we expect your apology about Nika for all your posts dismissing her athleticism, ability and technique including the statement, “Geno is not going to use NM unless he absolutely has to.”

Maybe I just missed your mea culpa?
Very surprised at this news. I apologize to those BY’ers who I doubted when they first suggested this possibility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, thanks for including the apology I already said I made. Not sure what your purpose is. Still waiting on your apology.....

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CocoHusky, thanks for including the apology I already said I made. Not sure what your purpose is. Still waiting on your apology.....
Stand by.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Stand by.
No need to stand by because I’m locking this thread. Snotty responses and condescending posts replying to a simple statement of opinion is why so many threads are getting locked. Knock it off now

i apologize to @Littlemin and others in this thread that we’re looking for an honest back and forth of ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom