Argh! Already? | The Boneyard

Argh! Already?

Reaction Score
Don't mean to be a "gloom and doomer" here. But figured out today that we are about 1/3 of the way
thru the regular season already! When informed my good wife, she let our a shriek that seemed
to be a cross between a lynx and a banshee. Might of had to do with the prospect of looming
unfilled time to be spent focused on me. Remedies for this "1/3 gone already" issue seem scarce,
but we meat eaters can find some solace in turkey and hickory smoked ham

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Don't mean to be a "gloom and doomer" here. But figured out today that we are about 1/3 of the way
thru the regular season already! When informed my good wife, she let our a shriek that seemed
to be a cross between a lynx and a banshee. Might of had to do with the prospect of looming
unfilled time to be spent focused on me. Remedies for this "1/3 gone already" issue seem scarce,
I'm looking forward to the Month of January, if the ladies at UConn WBB get through it undefeated, minus the US National Team, then I'll be a very delighted BYer. I also like traditional Christmas meats, but this year my son and I are having a NICE big juicy Porterhouses with all the fixings, while the wife is having grilled salmon. Hope all of the BYer's have a Merry Christmas and may it be safe and festive wherever you may be.

Reaction Score

Funny idea about the desire for longevity: why worry about a long life when we can't find anything to do with a few days off?

Reaction Score
Merry Christmas and Happy New Years . I understand your spouses concerns! I The years are moving too fast. The time from season start to end sips buy----then from then to October drags on--but the total year Zips on.
I was once told all life follows the Natural Log. I believe it and the down slope is sooo quick.
Winlots you are a friend and true gentleman thank you for this year of fun with you.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to the Month of January, if the ladies at UConn WBB get through it undefeated, minus the US National Team, then I'll be a very delighted BYer. I also like traditional Christmas meats, but this year my son and I are having a NICE big juicy Porterhouses with all the fixings, while the wife is having grilled salmon. Hope all of the BYer's have a Merry Christmas and may it be safe and festive wherever you may be.
I too am awaiting the Gauntlet of January. I don't expect to go unscathed through that process but win or lose during that time has less meaning now than in early Nov. Whether Uconn WBB escapes or prevails I feel has little to do with getting to the NC--but winning would be nice.
Semper Fi Sarg. Give your son and spouse a hardy Merry Christmas and Health for the New Year from your Friends on the BY. I hope you read Dear Abby today it was about the greatest battle your compatriots fought that ended saving 150,000 Korean (North and South) as they were taken along with 20,000 Marine and Army to South Korea. (Of course the Navy helped) Finally someone saw the truth. Semper Fi.

Reaction Score
Funny idea about the desire for longevity: why worry about a long life when we can't find anything to do with a few days off?
Speak for yourself. I worried when I retired I'd have too much time on my hands---then I had no time to do the things I thought I wanted to do. Life is what happens when we are not looking.. Longevity is an illusion that means one thing to actuaries, different to doctors, and much different to patients. Most people stay 18 to 25 in their heads.

Reaction Score
Mea culpa. In retrospect, am feeling that my choice of thread title
( "Bad News?") was very poorly timed given that our coach was just out of hospital. Love humor and intended posted thread as humor, but SHOULD have been sensitive to the juxtaposition/timing issue.

Did not mean to frighten anyone about Geno's condition, and am quite relieved tonight to see that no respondent seemed alarmed. Do not cotton to use of "my bad", but feel that this was a case of my bad. My apologies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
You can reassure your better half that when the UConn WCBB season concludes, the Connecticut Sun will not be far behind.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I might add that the torrent of recruiting announcements may lead to offseason malaise.

Reaction Score
You can reassure your better half that when the UConn WCBB season concludes, the Connecticut Sun will not be far behind

JOE: Thanks for that. thoughtful reassurance. But neither one of us follow the women pros. To us, it is played too much like the men's game: banging vs finesse etc.

Reaction Score
Speak for yourself. I worried when I retired I'd have too much time on my hands---then I had no time to do the things I thought I wanted to do. Life is what happens when we are not looking.. Longevity is an illusion that means one thing to actuaries, different to doctors, and much different to patients. Most people stay 18 to 25 in their heads.

I think you could safely drop that 18-25 estimate. Those are the numbers that keep us out of jail. Someone else said that life was just an extension of high school. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I remember talking to someone when my daughter was about a year old. This person was saying how kids aged him. He asked how old I felt (I was about 40), I replied something like: I feel 60 when I get up (joint issues), 30 after my midday run, and 1 when I get home and see my kid.

I have so many plans for retirement, if I do them all, I’ll never die. The one that I’m not sure I’ll accomplish is becoming proficient on the harp.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
You think that you have BAD NEWS, this morning around 12:30 AM Pacific, a Hyundai Santa Fe went through the corner of my house. The driver fled the scene by the time I got out front, another driver stopped and had already called the police. Come to find out the car had been stolen last Saturday and the owners were notified that the police had found their car. Contacted USAA and was on the phone when the owners showed up. After talking to them and USAA the only way I can get my deductible waived is if they catch the thief and he pays the $2,000.00 deductibleHead bang. The side is now boarded up and the claim adjuster is supposed to come by later today.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You think that you have BAD NEWS, this morning around 12:30 AM Pacific, a Hyundai Santa Fe went through the corner of my house. The driver fled the scene by the time I got out front, another driver stopped and had already called the police. Come to find out the car had been stolen last Saturday and the owners were notified that the police had found their car. Contacted USAA and was on the phone when the owners showed up. After talking to them and USAA the only way I can get my deductible waived is if they catch the thief and he pays the $2,000.00 deductibleHead bang. The side is now boarded up and the claim adjuster is supposed to come by later today.
This stinks man. I really hope at least part of the cost is defrayed. Hopefully someone here on the BY can give you some beneficial advise. It deserves a Nolike. Oh, by the way, Merry Christmas.

Reaction Score
I remember talking to someone when my daughter was about a year old. This person was saying how kids aged him. He asked how old I felt (I was about 40), I replied something like: I feel 60 when I get up (joint issues), 30 after my midday run, and 1 when I get home and see my kid.

I have so many plans for retirement, if I do them all, I’ll never die. The one that I’m not sure I’ll accomplish is becoming proficient on the harp.

BigB: very uplifting message and well said. Stick with the harp challenge.

Reaction Score
ELLIE: don't recall seeing posts of yours prior to this.. Want to tell more about yourself??

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Every team that we have left on our schedule has at least 1 loss, so none of them are invincible. Obviously the 4 remaining non-conference games stand out on the schedule: Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and South Carolina.
All except the Gamecocks come to Connecticut, so UConn will have a favorable home court advantage for what it's worth.

South Carolina's 71-57 loss to Indiana was on a neutral court in the US Virgin Islands at the Paradise Jam Tournament in November. The gamecocks are very tough at home. Looking at their schedule, they have some rather large MOV's. They handed Baylor its only loss in that same tournament. Not looking past any of them, because that's how you lose games, but all four will be very formidable.

If UConn can defeat Baylor and retain its #1 ranking, #22 Tennessee (9-2) will no doubt arrive at the XL Center with visions of doing to the Huskies what Texas did to Stanford Sunday. They will be highly motivated for nostalgic reasons if nothing else.

What a feather in their cap (as well as give instant credibility to their program) a win over #1 Conn on the road that would mean to them. "A" games must be brought to the arena that evening by both teams if they are serious about leaving with a win.

MSGRET, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well. :)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Every team that we have left on our schedule has at least 1 loss, so none of them are invincible. Obviously the 4 remaining non-conference games stand out on the schedule, Baylor, Oregon, Tennessee and South Carolina. All except the Gamecocks come to Connecticut, so UConn will have a favorable home court advantage for what it's worth.

South Carolina's 71-57 loss to Indiana was on a neutral court in the US Virgin Islands at the Paradise Jam Tournament in November. The gamecocks are very tough at home. They handed Baylor its only loss in that same tournament. Not looking past any of them, because that's how you lose games, but all four will be very formidable.

If UConn can defeat Baylor and retain its #1 ranking, #22 Tennessee (9-2) will no doubt arrive at the XL Center with visions of doing to the Huskies what Texas did to Stanford Sunday. They will be highly motivated for nostalgic reasons if nothing else. What a feather in their cap (as well as give instant credibility to their program) a win over #1 Conn on the road that would mean to them. "A" games must be brought to the arena that evening by both teams if they are serious about leaving with a win.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and yours as well. :)

Including the USA National Team ;);)

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This stinks man. I really hope at least part of the cost is defrayed. Hopefully someone here on the BY can give you some beneficial advise. It deserves a Nolike. Oh, by the way, Merry Christmas.
Thanks @JordyG, but I have no problems with the deductible if I have to pay for it. I really feel sorry for the young couple that had their car stolen. They had the apartment robbed when they were out shopping, then the next morning they discovered that their car was stolen, the robbers to the extra set of keys. They had let their insurance lapse because they didn't have the funds to pay for two vehicles and hadn't driven the Santa Fe for about a month. I will be checking with the police after the holiday's to see how it's going, if the thief's are caught I'll let USAA handle the claims, they have more lawyers then me. The family and I also wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Including the USA National Team ;);)

I didn't count that one because it's an exhibition game. None of the numbers (stats) from that game count in UConn's record or their season totals.

Reaction Score
The great thing is that the seasons blend from one to the other...

...basketball is over as baseball is coming on...baseball season ends and summer football practice kicks in...a quick break for and then the excitement of a fall of football.

Interspersed are quick huffs of soccer, volleyball, etc for the sports addicts.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My wife has predicted that I will die in the first part of the year...hang on through the last bowl game and then let go.

Many of you guys will go in the summer...hang on through basketball finals.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Thanks @JordyG, but I have no problems with the deductible if I have to pay for it. I really feel sorry for the young couple that had their car stolen. They had the apartment robbed when they were out shopping, then the next morning they discovered that their car was stolen, the robbers to the extra set of keys. They had let their insurance lapse because they didn't have the funds to pay for two vehicles and hadn't driven the Santa Fe for about a month. I will be checking with the police after the holiday's to see how it's going, if the thief's are caught I'll let USAA handle the claims, they have more lawyers then me. The family and I also wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Thanks sarge. All the same to your and yours.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom