Aresco Q&A w/ bigeast.org | The Boneyard

Aresco Q&A w/ bigeast.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.bigeast.org/News/tabid/4...th-new-big-east-commissioner-mike-aresco.aspx

Nice read. Refreshing.

"The fact is Aresco, and media consultants Bevilacqua Helfant, almost are guaranteed of landing the Big East a lucrative TV deal." – Lenn Robbins, NY Post

"They made the hire they needed to make." – Jim Calhoun, University of Connecticut head men’s basketball coach

"Aresco is a likable person with deep connections within college sports and great knowledge of the TV industry." – John Solomon, The Birmingham News

"The Big East introduced Mike Aresco as its new commissioner Wednesday, a hire that puts the league under the reins of one of the most creative and bright media minds in the business. He is considered a TV and marketing genius." – Jim Williams, The Examiner

"I think of all of the people we could look at, there's less of a learning curve for him than anyone. This is a guy who has been involved in major negotiations. He set up the NCAA basketball tournament at CBS. He knows how to do this. He knows big-time college athletics. He is going to be a great leader for the Big East and we are truly excited to have him because of the respect and the ability that he brings to the job. This is really a coup for the Big East to be able to bring in Mike Aresco, there is no question about that.” – Greg Williams, University of Cincinnati President

"Aresco, a veteran television executive of over three decades, is being counted on as the man with the perfect vision to help guide the league from an 11-month period of tumult to lasting stability. And Wednesday, in his introductory press conference, the 62-year old Aresco made it clear that he wouldn't be stepping into the commissioner's chair if he wasn't sure the Big East was a viable league in the world college athletics." – Brendan Prunty, The Star Ledger

"The member schools will certainly be glad to hear of Aresco's affection for the conference… Aresco could very well be the answer the Big East, being sold as a coast-to-coast league, needs to solve its image and television contract problems. He couldn't have talked a better game Wednesday — but the record shows he's got the juice to deal with the most pressing issue the conference faces: a meaty television contract." – Desmond Conner, The Hartford Courant

"A new TV deal will help. Aresco has much negotiating experience, and a new deal could fortify the conference and its member's confidence, so his TV pedigree was not overlooked but relished. And he'll take charge he said, when negotiations start in September. True to his background, Aresco said he wanted to "tell the story" of the Big East, one presumably worth a comparable amount to the TV deals signed by the other major conferences." – Tim Rohan, The New York Times

"So it's not that surprising that as the Big East sought a leader to build its new identity moving forward, the conference turned to former CBS Sports vice president Mike Aresco, who has never worked for a college or a conference but is being lauded as a smart, progressive choice as the league's new commissioner." – Greg Auman, Tampa Bay Times

"I think this definitely is an aggressive move that says the Big East is serious about retaining its place at the big boys' table in college football." – Keith Dunnavant, author

"[Aresco’s hiring is] huge. This is something you learn over a career of experience. It's not something you can go to school for and pick up in a couple of months. I've been doing this for 39 years, one way or another with the networks and in consulting, and Mike has also had a very long career. There's no substitute for that. You have to have been immersed in the history of this. It's a very, very positive thing for the conferences." – Kevin O’Malley, a former executive with CBS and Turner Sports

"However, with changing times comes a new approach and a unique man given the responsibility of keeping the Big East relevant on the national landscape. With so much money at stake with conference football championship games and major bowls, the Big East needed a candidate that would make sure the conference didn’t get left behind. In a press conference at the New York Athletic Club Wednesday morning, the Big East confidently marched out Middletown native Mike Aresco with the belief that his decades of experience negotiating television contracts with conferences and universities will be of great assistance as the Big East looks to move forward." – Jim Fuller, New Haven Register

"At the end of the day, I believe timing and a TV executive will play a more critical role in landing the Big East a lucrative deal rather than the results on the field." – Neil Hartman, Comcast Sportsnet

"There were other candidates for commissioner, but the selection had to be well known in college sports. Now there's a chance the Big East will stay relevant with a person in charge who isn't afraid to make a stand and command a room." – Andy Katz, ESPN

"As of this morning the Big East has a new commissioner: Mike Aresco, late of CBS Sports. This is a good thing. A very, very, very good thing." – Andrew Porter, The UConn Blog

"Marquette athletic director Larry Williams said "excitement" was the word that best described his reaction to Aresco’s hiring and he’s interested in seeing the conference’s basketball brand enhanced." – Bob Wolfey, The Journal Sentinel

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now there's a chance the Big East will stay relevant with a person in charge who isn't afraid to make a stand and command a room."

This. In the real world force of personality matters. People who can command a room get deals that seem impossible to lesser lights. It will be good to have a comissioner who isn't sitting in the corner with Jugdish, Mohammet, Lonny.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I want to make sure that we are a leader in new media, that’s really important.

The Big East Network?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I want to make sure that we are a leader in new media, that’s really important.

The Big East Network?
I hope he's thinking bigger. Every sporting event with a camera at it should be watchable on any of my screens, wherever I am. That's the Holy Grail.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I am reasonably confident that whatever deal the conference gets will be the maximum one available under the circumstances. I don't think anyone will be able to say the BE left money on the table.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This. In the real world force of personality matters. People who can command a room get deals that seem impossible to lesser lights. It will be good to have a comissioner who isn't sitting in the corner with Jugdish, Mohammet, Lonny.

Appears as if he has that undefinable gravitas when he's in the room. People know him.

Reaction Score
New media: Social networks, youtube, tablets, cell phones, videogame consoles.

I would also branch out from just offering live sports. If we get a deal with NBC, why not push to have some documentaries regarding the teams as well to be shown primetime? A doc on LeGrand or Jazz or what have you would be awesome and bring some positive advertising. Or preseason team docs.

The conference and whoever it partners with for tier 1 broadcasting has to think outside the box. So ESPiN cannot be that choice for a partner.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
I hope he's thinking bigger. Every sporting event with a camera at it should be watchable on any of my screens, wherever I am. That's the Holy Grail.
THIS X a bazillion. I'm even willing to pay a REASONABLE fee to watch the game in some cases. For example, I know UConn x UMass isn't going to be a huge media event, but for , take my $20.00, connect some wires, get an uplink, write some friggin' code, WHATEVER needs to be done so I can go online and watch the ' game!

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Carl,

Nice post. Thanks for organizing the quotes. Let's hope Aresco is merely half as good as everyone thinks he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom