Aresco...no name change | The Boneyard

Aresco...no name change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't know what Bailey was yapping about - the Big East isn't changing the the conference name. Perhaps they're just working on some branding and logo stuff.

Another little tidbit and this is one of those grain of salt deals, Aresco says that there is interest in the conference from other networks, but the intention is to stay with ESPN.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
A whole lick of salt. No way the meatball would be smart enough to make that statement.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
If we stay with ESPN then we all should learn the famous Kevin Bacon line "Thank you sir, may I have another?"

Reaction Score
I never believed they'd change the conference name. I figured they'd be looking at 2013 divisional names for FB, but not the actual name. My vote is "Just happy to be here" and "Can't wait to get into a different league division" divisions.

Put UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, USF, Cinci, Boise, SDSU, Houston, SMU, and UCF in the Can't wait to get into a different league div., and Memphis and Temple in the Happy to be here div. It's an unbalanced schedule, but we can figure it out.

Reaction Score
the intention is to stay with ESPN.

Why would he state that publicly? Isn't the whole idea to use the competition to drive up the offers?

Reaction Score
the intention is to stay with ESPN. Why would he state that publicly? Isn't the whole idea to use the competition to drive up the offers?
Well, perhaps it's more open ended than saying "We have to negotiate with ESPN, but intend to go elsewhere". Or, "We definitely want to go elsewhere". How does Aresco's statement change the potential of moving BE broadcast rights to an ESPN competitor?

Reaction Score

Why would he state that publicly? Isn't the whole idea to use the competition to drive up the offers?

Right now we can only negotiate with ESPN, it makes sense to be cordial to them in public. It also is a shot across the bow of NBC, the time to leverage ESPN against NBC is now. If NBC thinks we are about to sign with ESPN maybe they send us a back channel offer.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Another little tidbit and this is one of those grain of salt deals, Aresco says that there is interest in the conference from other networks, but the intention is to stay with ESPN.
We have to say this (at least at this point in time) as we cannot give them any evidence that within the exclusive window we are noit negotiating in good faith. I imagine that there is a number (based on what we've privately learned from interest from all other market participants) that we would agree to before the window closes & we hit the open market but shy of ESPN offering that (which would amaze me) I don't see anything keeping us from negotiating with all players in another (not quite) two months.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I think the idea is to stave off criticism that we have been negotiating with others during the ESPN exclusivity period and, perhaps, to indicate to ESPN that we are interested in staying so that they will make a bona fide offer, which will in turn create a higher floor for third party offers when we begin to negotiate with them.

Agree, by the way, getting out in front of the "name change" rumor, while not brain surgery is a step up in leadership for us.

Reaction Score
Saying we are focused on staying with ESPN is free. Meaningless. Smart. We have no reason not to be publicly cordial at this time.

But ... I believe OUR Boneyard sentiment has to be parallel to the BE Presidents & Execs. ESPN has not worked to our highest interests.

Reaction Score
"Aresco made his first visit to Temple on Saturday to watch the Owls play Maryland."

Well, I hope he doesn't make a second visit there this weekend!

Reaction Score
The argument for no name change because of "brand equity" I think is testament of the enduring power of BB in this conference. Where does the name Big East have the most "brand equity" at this point if not BB? Hopefully in the future it is more balanced. If I were any of the new members except for Memphis and Temple I would be wondering if BB, including the CYO's, was still running the show.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I never believed they'd change the conference name. I figured they'd be looking at 2013 divisional names for FB, but not the actual name. My vote is "Just happy to be here" and "Can't wait to get into a different league division" divisions.

Put UConn, Louisville, Rutgers, USF, Cinci, Boise, SDSU, Houston, SMU, and UCF in the Can't wait to get into a different league div., and Memphis and Temple in the Happy to be here div. It's an unbalanced schedule, but we can figure it out.
maybe switch rutgers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1