Aresco Interview The Daily Reflector | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco Interview The Daily Reflector

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I have been irritated by Aresco's unwillingness to mention UConn in most press conferences also. But I have to say this: As a league office goes, the American has REALLY been pumping UConn via Facebook ("American Rising" campaign). Almost half of the pages I see from them involve UConn. Today's page, for instance, is of Brianna Stewart. It's almost like Aresco himself is trying to avoid us, while the league office is singing our praises every day. I'm not sure what that dichotomy is all about, but I would certainly be a lot happier if Mikey got on the same page as his staff...

Reaction Score
My guess is that, as the commissioner, it wouldn't help to say his alma mater is better than everyone else. We don't really need that much marketing (except football in-state and surrounding areas). It's the other schools that do.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
My guess is that, as the commissioner, it wouldn't help to say his alma mater is better than everyone else. We don't really need that much marketing (except football in-state and surrounding areas). It's the other schools that do.

And yet, on social media, it's been UConn and Louisville that have received all of the love. So something doesn't add up, right?

Reaction Score
And yet, on social media, it's been UConn and Louisville that have received all of the love. So something doesn't add up, right?
Using Louisville to advertise the conference's strength. If he went to a different school, I could see him touting UConn. Who wouldn't?

Reaction Score
Just like Delany is peddling new arrivals Rutgers and Maryland, Aresco has to build up the brand, as best as possible, of the incoming schools. Reportedly his goal (although I must make it clear that I don't have specific insider information on this) is to have Whaler fall in love with Tulane.

Reaction Score
ECU will likely be better than at least two P5 schools in its own state every year. So it's got that going for it, which is nice.

They were definitely better than 3 of the 4 last year. ECU racked up nearly 100 points on both UNC and NCSU last year in their wins over them. Had ECU played Duke last year, they may have won that game too if it were earlier in the year, before Duke felt invincible (per ACC Coastal Division standards). UNC and NCSU typically beat ECU more than the other way around, but there are years that ECU is the best team in that state. ECU is sometimes the best team north of South Carolina along the eastern seaboard. They smacked my school around in 2008 and always play us tough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been irritated by Aresco's unwillingness to mention UConn in most press conferences also. But I have to say this: As a league office goes, the American has REALLY been pumping UConn via Facebook ("American Rising" campaign). Almost half of the pages I see from them involve UConn. Today's page, for instance, is of Brianna Stewart. It's almost like Aresco himself is trying to avoid us, while the league office is singing our praises every day. I'm not sure what that dichotomy is all about, but I would certainly be a lot happier if Mikey got on the same page as his staff...
I think of it as the Providence factor: In the beginning of the Old Big East, PC was the national media darling & UConn was happy for the invite. Then Jim Calhoun happened & Friar Nation got pushed to the background.
The public denial by Aresco is a vestige of everything Providence right down to keeping Conference offices in that God forsaken city. Might as well have them in Thunder Bay. But I digress.

Reaction Score
What better way to boost the other schools in the AAC than to associate them with the AAC's best national brand? It's a time honored advertising technique. Associate your product or service with an admired brand ("We've IBM compatible").

Reaction Score
I think of it as the Providence factor: In the beginning of the Old Big East, PC was the national media darling & UConn was happy for the invite. Then Jim Calhoun happened & Friar Nation got pushed to the background.
The public denial by Aresco is a vestige of everything Providence right down to keeping Conference offices in that God forsaken city. Might as well have them in Thunder Bay. But I digress.
Mmmm, Thunder Bay.

Reaction Score
Just like Delany is peddling new arrivals Rutgers and Maryland, Aresco has to build up the brand, as best as possible, of the incoming schools. Reportedly his goal (although I must make it clear that I don't have specific insider information on this) is to have Whaler fall in love with Tulane.

Ha! Fat chance of that happening. Whaler is already in love - with Fishy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom