aresco-c7 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

aresco-c7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
there is no reason why he picked tulane. they are not worth 1 penny acording to the tv contract we got. temple, usf, uconn and cincy alone make that contract a joke even if those 4 schools only play 1 year in the NBE.

with that being said, i can come up with a lot better schools who have long term potential even in tulanes own state. any pick was better than tulane. heck northern illinois look what they did last year. do yourself a favor and look at the location of that school. now check the stadium size. now look up the alums local within a hour of the schools and the untaped potential. thats just 1 good example.

he didn't have to pick tulane and they are literally worth negative dollars. no pick would have done better than a pick in his case. so as some of u say he has a bad delt hand what can he do different. thats #1.

edit:
hell i think within 2 hours u could put me, nelson, whaler and blwa in a room to fight it out to death and we could still come out with something from this:
east-uconn/cincy/temple/mem/usf/ucf/ecu/navy/smiss/uab/gast/udel/odu...
west-uh/smu/nm/bsu/sdsu//fresno/unlv/unr/haw/tulsa/tst/utsa/tuep...
for the record, its a lot easier throwing out schools on some website than actually making it happen in real life...
otherwise everyone on this board would be cosidered the replacement for delney.

Reaction Score
there is no reason why he picked tulane. they are not worth 1 penny acording to the tv contract we got. temple, usf, uconn and cincy alone make that contract a joke even if those 4 schools only play 1 year in the NBE.

with that being said, i can come up with a lot better schools who have long term potential even in tulanes own state. any pick was better than tulane. heck northern illinois look what they did last year. do yourself a favor and look at the location of that school. now check the stadium size. now look up the alums local within a hour of the schools and the untaped potential. thats just 1 good example.

he didn't have to pick tulane and they are literally worth negative dollars. no pick would have done better than a pick in his case. so as some of u say he has a bad delt hand what can he do different. thats #1.

edit:
hell i think within 2 hours u could put me, nelson, whaler and blwa in a room to fight it out to death and we could still come out with something from this:
east-uconn/cincy/temple/mem/usf/ucf/ecu/navy/smiss/uab/gast/udel/odu...
west-uh/smu/nm/bsu/sdsu//fresno/unlv/unr/haw/tulsa/tst/utsa/tuep...
Aresco's dirty little secret: He craves gumbo at Felix's followed by crawfish etoufee at Acme Oyster House. Then he plays a string & listens to jazz at Rock & Bowl. Tulane was an absolute necessity so that he could partake if these pleasures on the conference's dime.:cool:

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I certainly can't defend adding Tulane. But he was made captain of the Titanic after it had already hit the iceberg. Rutgers, Louisville and the Catholic 7 are the rich passengers who took all the lifeboats, UConn and Cincy are clinging to driftwood with all the steerage passengers.

Reaction Score
I'm not TV contract literate so could someone please explain:
  • Will SNY still televise UConn BBall and football and is that seperate from any ESPN televised games as far as pay? In other words do we hold the rights to any non ESPN televised games and can we shop them out for a additional paycheck?
  • If we play "@" the ACC, SEC or B1G in non conference is that a separate payday for us?
  • A bowl game is additional revenue on top of the conference deal right?
  • the same question just for BBall is the NCAA Tourney a seperate payday?
  • Can this contract be re-negotiated in less than 7 years if the league is much better than anyone anticipated? Was there wiggle room for that put in the contract?
Well, winning in B-Ball and football(especially football) would have made the UConn brand much more appealing so really UConn has no one else to blame but themselves for the situation. A winning UConn football team not only helps us but the rest of the league too same as everyone else in the new conference so it seems to me it's time to end the pity party and start winning football games. And that goes for SMU and Houston and USF just as much as it does for us. The conference as a whole needs to win an overwhelming majority of it's non conference slate especially the ones they are not supposed to win. Winners get noticed. The whole league needs to take a page from the Boise St and TCU playbooks. Stunning upsets! That's the key.

But in the mean time how much can UConn sweeten it's own pie by winning or is that 2 mil a year pretty much all that can be expected?

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I certainly can't defend adding Tulane. But he was made captain of the Titanic after it had already hit the iceberg. Rutgers, Louisville and the Catholic 7 are the rich passengers who took all the lifeboats, UConn and Cincy are clinging to driftwood with all the steerage passengers.

I'll play Devil's Advocate and go one step further (although I do so without the required info). He was at least wise enough to make it a short-term contract, and also in the process (and here's where I lack the required info), he has reportedly found a way to "up our exposure". This is the smart move. This is the big move.

He knows (and everyone should know) that the difference between a maximized cash contract and what we have now is likely only 1-2 million dollars more per team per year. But it would have required a much longer contract term in all likelihood. And it may not have come with the exposure. His plan (I think) is to suppliment the lowered value of the contract with the money that comes from exit fees and NCAA credits to get back to the appropriate monetary value, without long-term commitments or GOR's, which you, me, and the flies on the wall know that UConn WOULD NEVER have agreed to.

So if getting a million less than the C-7 means that we get more time on tv and a renegotiation in 6 years, then that's "six in one and a half-dozen in the other". We aren't talking about the difference between 2 million and 7 million. We're talking about the difference between 2 million for 6 years and "good" tv exposure versus 3-4 million for 12 years and a GOR and perhaps less exposure. Now it's time for UConn to kick the $#it out of this conference on national/regional tv in every sport so that we don't ever need to see the re-negotiation...

Reactions: pj

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Little does anyone know, there is a secret submarine hidden in the bowels of the ship. The lifeboats were easy to get to so for those of us on the helicopter watching, we see their route to safety first and are unable to see UConns path to safety. But mark my words, UConn is working it's way to the submarine and when everything is all said and done (future events that are in the works) UConn will make its way to the promised land quicker than those other schools.

pj

Reaction Score
The NBE is every bit as good bb wise as the C7 as long as UConn, Cincy, Memphis, and Temple are in the conference and one other member elevates their game. Football is certainly a bonus that the C7 can't offer. So either Aresco is a lousy negotiator or none of the media bidders believe CR is over and UConn and/or Cincy will be around. The contract was lowballed because those programs have a very high likelihood of leaving and the conference was desperate for exposure on some media outlet.

If you're going to commit to a contract at below market rates and are only offered lowball amounts because of uncertainty, there's no need to make it a 6-year deal. Make it for 2 years so you can negotiate again in two years when the uncertainty may be lower.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
If you're going to commit to a contract at below market rates and are only offered lowball amounts because of uncertainty, there's no need to make it a 6-year deal. Make it for 2 years so you can negotiate again in two years when the uncertainty may be lower.
In principle I agree particularly as regards to what UConn brings to the table. But I believe your suggestion is too simplistic. The incoming schools may not be bringing as much to the table as UConn but they do have some leverage. If they choose to stay in their respective conferences, UConn, Cincy and USF could end up not having any landing place for their bb and football teams as early as next season. And the media networks are fully aware of this. So they offered a take it or leave it contract that was lowballed.

Cincy and UConn agreed to this, I'm guessing, in part because they can offset the lowball contract over the next few years with the monies that departing schools and NCAA credits will offer them. And they are optimistic they will not be in this conference for long. It's an unknown, but what choice do they have? They need a conference to park football and bb and the incoming schools want some security so they probably insisted on a six year deal even as Cincy and UConn would have preferred a one or two year deal in case CR did evolve the way they hope.

Reaction Score
I just want to point out that I would probably screw all of your mothers for a lot less than a million dollars.

I will, however, need to see some pictures before I commit.

That goes both ways Fishy.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
His epitaph will be the $2m or so he got for the TV contract and the WatchESPN exclusive games if that's what comes out.

He couldn't do much about the split or other teams leaving. That die was cast long ago.

But a supposed TV guy not being able to.cobble together $5-6m per team from multiple sources is just a negligent performance. You can't tell me that UConn-Houston isn't worth as much as Wake Forest-NCst as a single game broadcast.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The simple anwer is that Cincy and UConn are the only two schools with basketball legacy and medicore football that got screwed in this whole process. Cincy finished in the Top 25 in football 4 of the last 6 seasons. UConn? Never. One top 25 football team didnt find a place at the table and one 3x National Basketball Champ. Other than that everyone else made out like bandits.

Overpay the Road Kill teams because Cincy and UConn are outside looking in among a bunch of undesirables?

It's obviously not going to happen. The only hope is some sort of television appearance incentives built into the conference contract. More aggressive than any ever seen :). I dont even know what to make of SNY if they even want UConn without Seton Hall and Rutgers and St John's and Syracuse on the potential schedule of teams for men and women.

The good news. What basketball and football teams will be favored in win the Road Kill Conference next year?

Reaction Score
Honestly, once the C7 said they were leaving (really, after Louisville left), he needed to be very proactive. He needed to invite any and all other vaguely successful football programs, especially out West, in an effort to keep Boise and SDSU. He should have done his damnedest to make sure after B1G, SEC, B12, P12, ACC, the Big East was clearly the next best conference--and some years better than some of those conferences. You do that by negotiating all the other major programs into you league--and programs that are vaguely good at basketball, perhaps, as well. New Mexico, Nevada, UNLV, Boise, SDSU, and whoever else. He could have made it a 16 team conference, two clear divisions to minimize travel. When we still had Boise and SDSU, these things were possible.

The game was lost when we lost them. And we lost them because we put our eggs in the Air Force/BYU basket without other, innovate options available.

So, yes, Aresco has failed. I felt bad for him before, now I'm angry at him...

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Honestly, once the C7 said they were leaving (really, after Louisville left), he needed to be very proactive. He needed to invite any and all other vaguely successful football programs, especially out West, in an effort to keep Boise and SDSU. ...

The problem is and was simple: Aresco represents one top 25 football program from over the last 6 years and none of the Top 25 programs over the whole BCS era. None of the Top 25 in TV ratings either.

What's he got to offer the West? UConn Football? That's the ticket to make the MWC successful?

Reaction Score
He was brought in because he was a TV guy. Clearly he's not the best salesman or negotiator but at the very least we figured he could use his connections to get us SOMETHING more than we would have received from a non-TV guy.

His salary is almost what UConn is going to receive for a season of basketball and football rights. Think about that.

Reaction Score
The problem is and was simple: Aresco represents one top 25 football program from over the last 6 years and none of the Top 25 programs over the whole BCS era. None of the Top 25 in TV ratings either.

What's he got to offer the West? UConn Football? That's the ticket to make the MWC successful?
Well, at the time, he had Cincy and Boise. UConn itself wasn't going to be a sell--but you package it. UConn and Cincy are sells for basketball--as are Temple and Memphis and SDSU. There were a lot of attractive elements, enough where you could have cobbled together a conference, but it seems like he just wasn't innovative enough to mitigate the crap going on around him.

Reaction Score

PJ - What contracts/factors are you using to determine "below market rates"??...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom