Aresco: Ball in ND's Court | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Aresco: Ball in ND's Court

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We've always been the beneficiaries of bad management by Providence. Tranghese's half measures did not create an enduring framework. It fell apart in 2003 and then again last year.

The right thing to do should have been to tell the hoop schools to shut up and color in football matters. Football is the driver and definer of everything! Everyone else recognized this but Tranghese. You even hear basketball people say that BCS conferences define who is a "major" basketball program.

I posted a document somewhere yesterday - UConn publication in October 1997 to the student body, and alumni - from the Task Force on Upgrading football to 1-A. In that document, it's clearly stated that the relevancy of the basketball program, is and will be every more so tied to 1-A football conference status. There was no BCS yet.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East never had an ounce of leverage over Notre Dame.

They still don't - what you all perceive to be tough talk from Aresco is nothing more than his angst over Notre Dame's silence. Notre Dame didn't come running with an open check book like the other three and that has Providence nervous.

Reaction Score

They still don't - what you all perceive to be tough talk from Aresco is nothing more than his angst over Notre Dame's silence. Notre Dame didn't come running with an open check book like the other three and that has Providence nervous.

Interesting. Are you saying Aresco fears that the ACC is about to finish off the Big East?

Reaction Score
Boy am I confused. I've read here for years the overwhelming sentiment that Notre Dame was a leach living off the Big East host, and was a total drain on the conference. And now, when someone says they can't walk away immediately, people (not necessarily Wisky) who for years wanted us to throw them out will be thrilled that we won't let them leave.

I've said it before and I will say it again -- there are many here who hate Notre Dame far, far more than they love UConn. They are happier to see Notre Dame not get what it wants than they would be to see UConn getting what it wants from the relationship.

I don't understand that line of thinking, but to each their own.

There is one here who sees many people who hate ND more than they want to see Uconn succeed. In case you haven't figured it out, you can dislike ND, think they are a leach, and want them to have to stay the 27 months or pay up ('cause they want to go, get it, they want to go early with a hand shake and contract says stay 27 months so if want to go early show us the WV/sPitt/Fruit type cash and then and only then you can go).

Reaction Score
Based on this info about the Orange Bowl payouts in the future, I'd have to say it is inevitable that the Irish will go all-in with the ACC soon:

That amount will be split evenly between the ACC and the SEC or Big Ten, depending on which conference has a team is in the bowl. However, when Notre Dame plays in the bowl, the Fighting Irish will receive a "significant amount less" than the $27.5 million payout the SEC or Big Ten will receive, sources said.

Reaction Score

Only if they want to leave the Big East early. I see this situation a little bit differently, Fishy. I think Notre Dame was expecting a bit of special consideration or at least the same consideration that Pitt and Syracuse got, and the new commissioner said "No." And unlike Marrinatto, he actually means it. So now they need to figure out what they want to do. I'm Aresco, I say you want to leave early, fine. We want 2 home-home series 2 one offs, with one at a Big East home and $10 million. Otherwise enjoy the slog...oh, nad bye the bye, have fun playing SMU, Houston, Rutgers, Seton Hall, PC Central Florida as your Big East home games over the next 3 years. And pack you bags because you're going to be playing Tuesday in Storrs, Saturday in Louisville a lot. Enjoy!

Reaction Score
If the Big East is about to fall apart, then why would Notre Dame spend a dime? They can just hang out while everything comes apart and get away early for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom