Aresco: Ball in ND's Court

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I wish he was here two years ago...

Matt_Fortuna 4:26pm via TweetDeck
Big East's Mike Aresco on East-West names: "We're not into naming the divisions the way some other conferences have named their divisions."
I don't think you can screw up division names any worse than the B1G. They might as well have called them the Sweatervests and the Bowties.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Has a single team played anywhere close to their exit period? This isn't the first time we've read tough talk.

Reaction Score
Aresco plays big boy rules. What a breath of fresh air.

Boy am I confused. I've read here for years the overwhelming sentiment that Notre Dame was a leach living off the Big East host, and was a total drain on the conference. And now, when someone says they can't walk away immediately, people (not necessarily Wisky) who for years wanted us to throw them out will be thrilled that we won't let them leave.

I've said it before and I will say it again -- there are many here who hate Notre Dame far, far more than they love UConn. They are happier to see Notre Dame not get what it wants than they would be to see UConn getting what it wants from the relationship.

I don't understand that line of thinking, but to each their own.

Reaction Score
Boy am I confused. I've read here for years the overwhelming sentiment that Notre Dame was a leach living off the Big East host, and was a total drain on the conference. And now, when someone says they can't walk away immediately, people (not necessarily Wisky) who for years wanted us to throw them out will be thrilled that we won't let them leave.

I've said it before and I will say it again -- there are many here who hate Notre Dame far, far more than they love UConn. They are happier to see Notre Dame not get what it wants than they would be to see UConn getting what it wants from the relationship.

I'm not seeing too much sentiment for holding ND in the conference. What I'm reading is that if ND wants to leave earlier than the contract it's up to them to pursue.
That means come up with the cash...

Who is advocating that the Irish stay? I may have missed that post.

Reaction Score
I'm not seeing too much sentiment for holding ND in the conference. What I'm reading is that if ND wants to leave earlier than the contract it's up to them to pursue.
That means come up with the cash...

Who is advocating that the Irish stay? I may have missed that post.
And I think Aresco laying the ground rules for negotiations is typical. He even used the term agnostic to describe his position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Don't understand the point. What exactly do you think UConn wants? A share of increased exit fees? A quality basketball opponent during the transition to NBE? I suspect that the latter may well be preferable.

From my perspective, and I haven't commented on this yet, it is more important that the league not be viewed as laying down and being walked over. Aresco just seems to be doing job, tough but reasonable. I'm not sure which post offended you, but maybe that is what you are seeing. Positive reactions to competancy in the Big East offices.

Reaction Score
It's just business at this point. Aresco has to look ahead, and despite the lousy deal we got from the FCS he's doing just that. He needs a victory somewhere to point to a ship being turned in the right direction. ND is not even on the radar of big priorities.

Reaction Score
My understanding is Navy is joing at some point. We need to see if we can hold onto Notre Dame until Navy joins. Notre Dame likes to play Navy. We'll just see if maybe they reconsider their departure once Navy is here.

The exit notification period was 27 months. That was before all these teams started leaving. We need to make Notre Dame stay longer. Aresco needs to get on the horn and tell Notre Dame that they have to wait 54 months. We're going to make them wait double. If they don't like it, too bad.

Notre Dame thinks they're so much better than us now, now that we've resorted to inviting teams like UCF, Youngstown State, Temple, etc. Well too bad. Get back in here and suffer with the rest of us. Actually, I guess it is kind of embarrassing to have Temple in our league. But my point stands. Notre Dame needs to stay here and stop thinking about leaving.

Reaction Score

I also don't understand this post. We will let them leave, after three years or paying us. That's the deal.

And they were a parasite. We enabled them to play in a major basketball conference and still remain independent in football. That was a huge strategic advantage that was afforded to them. I don't believe we got much in return for it. The bowl tie ins were never particularly good, and they wouldn't even agree to play certain Big East schools in their own stadium, while they will play schools like Wake Forest in their equally sized stadium.

The criticism of Notre Dame was valid back in the day. The assumption was a member of the Big East they behaved like a Seton Hall or a Providence and generally sided with them on issues that were to the detriment of the all sports members.

The problem with Notre Dame is that fans can get pissed at them, but ADs can't because they ultimately need them. Aresco isn't an AD so he has to be the one to tell Notre Dame what the score is. My hunch is that somewhere along the line, ND asked for a sweetheart deal to exit early.

Aresco gets it. There is not much else Notre Dame can do to hurt us. There are three outcomes. They pay the Big East to leave early, they stay the full term of three seasons, or they change their minds and stay.

Staying is the least likely and is unlikely. The other two outcomes have to be leveraged. I am certain that everyone would be fine with Notre Dame staying for the full term of three seasons and if they buy out, then it won't be cheap. No sweetheart deals.

Reaction Score

I also don't understand this post. We will let them leave, after three years or paying us. That's the deal.

And they were a parasite. We enabled them to play in a major basketball conference and still remain independent in football. That was a huge strategic advantage that was afforded to them. I don't believe we got much in return for it. The bowl tie ins were never particularly good, and they wouldn't even agree to play certain Big East schools in their own stadium, while they will play schools like Wake Forest in their equally sized stadium.

The criticism of Notre Dame was valid back in the day. The assumption was a member of the Big East they behaved like a Seton Hall or a Providence and generally sided with them on issues that were to the detriment of the all sports members.

Aresco gets it. There is not much else Notre Dame can do to hurt us. There are three outcomes. They pay the Big East to leave early, they stay the full term of three seasons, or they change their minds and stay.

Staying is the least likely and is unlikely. The other two outcomes have to be leveraged. I am certain that everyone would be fine with Notre Dame staying for the full term of three seasons and if they buy out, then it won't be cheap. No sweetheart deals.

Zoo gets it too. Had the Big East booted Notre Dame out of "protected" custody years ago it would have forced the Irish's hand far sooner. They'd have had to have hooked up with a conference to give their other sports a home. Still can't believe that the ACC is now willing to be their lackey. Thought only the Big East with all its Catholic school was dumb enough.

Reaction Score
Zoo gets it too. Had the Big East booted Notre Dame out of "protected" custody years ago it would have forced the Irish's hand far sooner. They'd have had to have hooked up with a conference to give their other sports a home. Still can't believe that the ACC is now willing to be their lackey. Thought only the Big East with all its Catholic school was dumb enough.

Booting them out was never an option. However a smarter commissioner would have leveled with them and would have been able to gain more for the conference than what were getting.

Look at the deal they are granting the ACC. They never gave the Big East that level of consideration.

My frustration is more focused on the conference leadership that allowed this sweetheart deal to go on for as long as it did.

Reaction Score
The real problem was that they were allowed in without their football program. Or even a deal comparable to what they gave the ACC. It was just another example of the Big East never really seeing itself as a football conference, quite honestly. And the deal now is exactly as it should be. You stay until your term is over as you agreed to do, or we negotiate some new arrangement to let you go early. Such a deal could include money, it could include some football games, it could include both. Frankly, in this particular negotiation, the Big East has the upper hand for the first time in forever.

Reaction Score
Booting them out was never an option. However a smarter commissioner would have leveled with them and would have been able to gain more for the conference than what were getting.

Look at the deal they are granting the ACC. They never gave the Big East that level of consideration.,

At the time they were allowed in to the big east who else was going to give them that deal? Let's face it, the acc letting them in was another way for them to weaken and marginalize the big east further. ND was all too willing to oblige it seems.

Reaction Score

Look at the deal they are granting the ACC. They never gave the Big East that level of consideration.

My frustration is more focused on the conference leadership that allowed this sweetheart deal to go on for as long as it did.

I didn't love our relationship with ND, but wouldn't you admit that it's near impossible for any commish to gain more for the conference from ND when; he, ND, you, I, and everyone else knows that booting them out was never an option?

We had no leverage.

Reaction Score
The closest this Big East conference has ever been to splitting up along basketball/football lines was in 1994. Less than two years after the first Big EAst football game was played. That includes every problem since in the league, the league was never closer to falling apart, than it was in 1994. There were a few football only schools then, that were begging into the conference, for all sports. A vote was had, by the conference presidents and AD's, led by Tranghese, and those football schools that wanted in for all sports, were told no. Keep in mind, these are schools that at the time were struggling with scheduling because of the HUGE shifiting in conferences that happened in the early 1990s. Nope - they were told the league was staying at the same number of basketball programs.

after that vote, the football only programs were already headed out the door, and were going to bring Boston College, Syracuse, PItt, Miami, etc. ....with them.

Tranghese got on the phone with the AD at Notre Dame within a week of that vote, and extended them the invite - a week after the b-ball schools voted that they would not increase the number of b-ball programs....the conference went ahead, and increased the number of b-ball programs by adding Notre Dame, because Notre Dame was really the only b-ball program that the Big East would have wanted anyway - Gavitt always wanted ND in the bball league.

Tranghese did that to salvage the conference, b/c the football programs were all out the door after that vote, and the condition of joining, was that Notre Dame would schedule ALL Big East football programs in the future. At the time, much like the ACC now, several of big east football programs, were already on the ND future scheduling arrangement, so it was more of a formality for the rest of the athletic departments for those schools, that all welcomed it (Syr/Pitt/BC/Miami).

THis is what Mike Tranghese refers to...when he says things like...."We bent over backwards for the football programs in the conference....".

Reaction Score
I didn't love our relationship with ND, but wouldn't you admit that it's near impossible for any commish to gain more for the conference from ND when; he, ND, you, I, and everyone else knows that booting them out was never an option?

We had no leverage.

We had leverage before we let them in. Once we gave them that sweetheart deal, we basically gave them a blank check to exploit the crap out of the arrangement.

Mike Tranghese and Co. should have been sued for negligence. I am being partially facetious.

Reaction Score
Carl,

Apparently, backwards wasn't far enough. He never failed to lose sight of the big picture.

Reaction Score
We had leverage before we let them in. Once we gave them that sweetheart deal, we basically gave them a blank check to exploit the crap out of the arrangement.

Mike Tranghese and Co. should have been sued for negligence. I am being partially facetious.

Tranghese saved the Big East conference seat at the table that would become the BCS-AQ pay check, by adding Notre Dame to the conference. WIthout ND, the Big East would have returned to a b-ball only conference by 1995, and would have had no access to the money that the BCS brought....which now - 14 years later - is transforming into the money that a I-A football playoff will bring.

For that, we all at UConn have to be thankful, because if the league had split in 1995, UConn would still be playing football in some reincarnation of the Yankee Conference, and probably struggling right alongside with UMass right now, to make an upgrade.

It's not that Tranghese did that with Notre Dame that makes me angry with the guy - it's that he was the commissioner of this league for nearly two decades, and never once, demonstrated a clue as to the importance of football, and at almost every chance he got, he openly projected that he clearly had not respect for it's importance to intercollegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
We've always been the beneficiaries of bad management by Providence. Tranghese's half measures did not create an enduring framework. It fell apart in 2003 and then again last year.

The right thing to do should have been to tell the hoop schools to shut up and color in football matters. Football is the driver and definer of everything! Everyone else recognized this but Tranghese. You even hear basketball people say that BCS conferences define who is a "major" basketball program.

Tranghese saved the Big East conference seat at the table that would become the BCS-AQ pay check, by adding Notre Dame to the conference. WIthout ND, the Big East would have returned to a b-ball only conference by 1995, and would have had no access to the money that the BCS brought....which now - 14 years later - is transforming into the money that a I-A football playoff will bring.

For that, we all at UConn have to be thankful, because if the league had split in 1995, UConn would still be playing football in some reincarnation of the Yankee Conference, and probably struggling right alongside with UMass right now, to make an upgrade.

It's not that Tranghese did that with Notre Dame that makes me angry with the guy - it's that he was the commissioner of this league for nearly two decades, and never once, demonstrated a clue as to the importance of football, and at almost every chance he got, he openly projected that he clearly had not respect for it's importance to intercollegiate athletics.

Reaction Score
We've always been the beneficiaries of bad management by Providence. Tranghese's half measures did not create an enduring framework. It fell apart in 2003 and then again last year.

The right thing to do should have been to tell the hoop schools to shut up and color in football matters. Football is the driver and definer of everything! Everyone else recognized this but Tranghese. You even hear basketball people say that BCS conferences define who is a "major" basketball program.

The 1980s were a very tumultous time in intercollegiate athletics. Extremely so. It was during this time, that the Big East conference, rose up, and truthfully, the leadership of the conference at that time, and the leadership at the universities in teh league, (save a number you can count on one hand - of which included UConn).....had no reason to think that they needed to be concerned about football at all, because it wasn't even played at their schools.

It is because of Gavitt's b-ball league, and a simple 5-3 vote in the early 1980s, that Joe Paterno's life long goal of re-establishing a major northeast 1-A football - all sports, conference after the Ivy league (of which he was a QB, and graduate in the hey day of Ivy football) de-emphasized football two decades earlier - BECUASE of the lack of true competition to deterimin champions in the post season and the corruption around the post season games.

By the early 1990s, the entire college landscape had changed dramatically, becuase of some issues involving again - college FOOTBALL television broadcasting, that some 28 I-A football programs that had been scheduling and existing as independants for the entire century - all went into conferences.

It was at this point in time, in the early 1990s, that Tranghese became the leader of the basketball conference Gavitt had built, and it's my personal opinion, that he completely despised that he had to deal with football in any way - during his entire tenure.

UConn has been floating along in the history of change in intercollegiate athletics for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom