Aresco 11am Interview | The Boneyard

Aresco 11am Interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems pretty calm, upbeat as always. Has so many good things to say about Mike Slive I forgot which league he was representing. The last thing on his mind is going to be our future because it's kind of at odds with the league's best interests on many fronts. We can only hope the league improves in the major sports while we're in it, and our FB team shows a major improvement in the next 2 years.

Reaction Score
He is awful and should have been fired.long ago
How in the world could anyone possibly defend this guy.
He chief accomplishment for UConn is selling us out so Tulane could get a revenue increase.

Reaction Score
This is only one person's opinion but I'm going to post it anyway. A friend of mine is in advertising for a major sports network. Last summer he met with Aresco to talk about his vision for the AAC and how they may be able to work together. My friend was thoroughly unimpressed with Aresco's leadership qualities and his vision for the conference and if he were UConn's AD he'd be looking for the door ASAP. Yes, I told him no UConn wants out of the AAC! I just thought it was interesting that he was not impressed with Aresco at all.

A week later he met with Val Ackerman, commissioner of the Big East. He thought she was really good and had a lot of great ideas for the conference. He said he'd much rather have her in charge of a conference than Aresco.

My friend has been around the block and I trust his instincts on this one.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I believe Aresco negotiated the exposure in our TV deal, which is our only saving grace.

NBC low balled the AAC, ESPN simply had to match. The deal is up in what 5 years? We'll see what happens then.

I don't think he's been that good and I'm still furious over Tulane and Tulsa being added which was and is horrible, but to blame the majority of this on him is like blaming Warde.

Not totally impressive but they were put in a tough spot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Seems pretty calm, upbeat as always. Has so many good things to say about Mike Slive I forgot which league he was representing. The last thing on his mind is going to be our future because it's kind of at odds with the league's best interests on many fronts. We can only hope the league improves in the major sports while we're in it, and our FB team shows a major improvement in the next 2 years.

Exactly. What's best for Aresco and the American is not what's best for UConn.

Don't expect him to ever do a damn thing for us.

You have to keep in mind how the world works. Warde and Aresco.... they have their next job to worry about. They aren't going to make a damn bit of noise about the party next door - because they want an invite.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Exactly. What's best for Aresco and the American is not what's best for UConn.

Don't expect him to ever do a damn thing for us.

You have to keep in mind how the world works. Warde and Aresco.... they have their next job to worry about. They aren't going to make a damn bit of noise about the party next door - because they want an invite.

Exactly as well. Same with President Herbst.

These aren't UConn people, like me, you or anyone on here. They are employees, like we all are at our respective jobs.

Imagine trashing a potential employer while at your current position?

They don't have skin in the game, like we do.

Reaction Score
Exactly as well. Same with President Herbst.

These aren't UConn people, like me, you or anyone on here. They are employees, like we all are at our respective jobs.

Imagine trashing a potential employer while at your current position?

They don't have skin in the game, like we do.
The notion that Warde and Herbst aren't as invested in UConn as posters on the Boneyard is utterly absurd. Even by this board's standards.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The notion that Warde and Herbst aren't as invested in UConn as posters on the Boneyard is utterly absurd. Even by this board's standards.

Oh really? So Warde and Susan are going to be at UConn for life?

If Michigan came calling for Warde or Duke for Susan, they'd hang up?

What a joke. They are working their best to improve UConn for UConn's benefit to the extent it helps their resume. Its all you can ask of them too.

But am I more invested in UConn as a lifelong fan, alum and former CT resident than Warde who's been here a few years? You better gd dam believe I am.

Reaction Score

Yeah you have this backwards. Warde and Herbst are in it for themselves first. They will advance UConn's cause because it improves their resume but to think that either of them will give a damn about UConn's plight when they're on to the their job is silly.

It's a job for them. For us as fans and alums, it's much different. We are much more invested.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah you have this backwards. Warde and Herbst are in it for themselves first. They will advance UConn's cause because it improves their resume but to think that either of them will give a damn about UConn's plight when they're on to the their job is silly.

It's a job for them. For us as fans and alums, it's much different. We are much more invested.
That's not the only viewpoint imo. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. They can have both their own and the universities best interest in mind or you can be correct. The former is about pride in what they do. The latter is purely about ego.

Funny that you guys are saying this as there is a contingent of posters who don't like the idea of having the coaching staff made up of UConn family. What's your take on the UConn men's bb coaches? Would love to hear the opinions of @whaler11 and @ConnHuskBask regarding this as well.

Personally I think President Herbst is doing a great job and the jury is still out for Warde. Of course I'm not directly involved with anything going on which allows me to view things from a distance. And that is both good and bad.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Oh really? So Warde and Susan are going to be at UConn for life?

If Michigan came calling for Warde or Duke for Susan, they'd hang up?

What a joke. They are working their best to improve UConn for UConn's benefit to the extent it helps their resume. Its all you can ask of them too.

But am I more invested in UConn as a lifelong fan, alum and former CT resident than Warde who's been here a few years? You better gd dam believe I am.

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Michigan is not calling on Warde or Susan, because they have yet to accomplish significant value over an average replacement. They may be in the process of doing that but those types of institutions don't mistake activity for achievement. What is good for UConn is good for their respective careers. They absolutely have skin in the game.

I won't go so far as saying that fans do not have skin in the game, but it is certainly different and IMhonestO, you only feel this way because UConn Athletics has performed on such a high level. Let's be realistic for a moment. UConn does not pay your mortgage, put food on the table, gas in your tank, or clothes on your back. It's entertainment.

Hathaway was an example of an AD who should have had skin in the game but didn't. He botched the Football hiring in the worst way (paid for a search committee/firm, sought donor advice and proceeded to ignore them) and Herbst showed him the door for it.

Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
That's not the only viewpoint imo. It doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. They can have both their own and the universities best interest in mind or you can be correct. The former is about pride in what they do. The latter is purely about ego.

Funny that you guys are saying this as there is a contingent of posters who don't like the idea of having the coaching staff made up of UConn family. What's your take on the UConn men's bb coaches? Would love to hear the opinions of @whaler11 and @ConnHuskBask regarding this as well.

Personally I think President Herbst is doing a great job and the jury is still out for Warde. Of course I'm not directly involved with anything going on which allows me to view things from a distance. And that is both good and bad.

I'm not saying Warde and Susan are doing a bad job. In fact, I agree with exactly what you're saying with regards to their respective performance.

UConn academically and athletically doing well is what Susan, Warde and we all want.

My point is that Warde, Susan and Aresco aren't going to stir the P5 pot as they are looking out for their next jobs. I'm not saying they even should be saying things publicly, but rallying against the P5 isn't a good career move for either.

They are in it for a job, we are in it because it's a real part of our lives. It doesn't mean they aren't or can't continue to do a great job, but eventually they will leave UConn - we're Huskies for life.

As far as the men's coaching staff, I like the UConn family tree being represented, but it's apparent we need a mercenary recruiter And need it badly.

Reaction Score
What came first, the chicken or the egg? Michigan is not calling on Warde or Susan, because they have yet to accomplish significant value over an average replacement. They may be in the process of doing that but those types of institutions don't mistake activity for achievement. What is good for UConn is good for their respective careers. They absolutely have skin in the game.

I won't go so far as saying that fans do not have skin in the game, but it is certainly different and IMhonestO, you only feel this way because UConn Athletics has performed on such a high level. Let's be realistic for a moment. UConn does not pay your mortgage, put food on the table, gas in your tank, or clothes on your back. It's entertainment.

Hathaway was an example of an AD who should have had skin in the game but didn't. He botched the Football hiring in the worst way (paid for a search committee/firm, sought donor advice and proceeded to ignore them) and Herbst showed him the door for it.

We're not disagreeing on much here. I think we're arguing over semantics and what it means to be "personally invested". I've noted that UConn's well being is good for both of their careers. FWIW I think Herbst has been great and I'm a Warde sympathizer (or "Apologista" if you will).

Reaction Score
So no corporate lawyer would ever sue a business on behalf of a client because, otherwise, one day, the potential defendant might offer them a job? Yes. Now I finally know why there is so litle litigation in this country.

Absurd.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'm not saying Warde and Susan are doing a bad job. In fact, I agree with exactly what you're saying with regards to their respective performance.

UConn academically and athletically doing well is what Susan, Warde and we all want.

My point is that Warde, Susan and Aresco aren't going to stir the P5 pot as they are looking out for their next jobs. I'm not saying they even should be saying things publicly, but rallying against the P5 isn't a good career move for either.

They are in it for a job, we are in it because it's a real part of our lives. It doesn't mean they aren't or can't continue to do a great job, but eventually they will leave UConn - we're Huskies for life.

As far as the men's coaching staff, I like the UConn family tree being represented, but it's apparent we need a mercenary recruiter And need it badly.
Not sure what pot stirring is called for. Care to elaborate?

I have no problems with either of them leaving as long as they don't leave the university or the athletic program in the crapper like Hathaway did for instance. Susan is making the correct moves to position UConn for AAU status. That is significant on a lot of fronts.

I'm not against a mercenary recruiter as long as the guy is above board. But I'm not as desperate about it as some. I've seen tapes of KO speaking to reporters. I've seen a tape of him speaking to alumni. I've seen a tape of him speaking at Ben Gordon's Mt. Vernon rec center. In every case I was blown away by how inspirational he was. The guy has the "it" factor. He relates really well with people of all ages. So I'm willing to wait for him to establish relationships with coaches on the high school level because I feel that when he does, his recruiting will be as good as the guys we want to add to the staff. And he fits the bill you and the others postulate. He bleeds Husky blue and white.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
So no corporate lawyer would ever sue a business on behalf of a client because, otherwise, one day, the potential defendant might offer them a job? Yes. Now I finally know why there is so litle litigation in this country.

Absurd.

How is that example applicable here? If someone is a corporate lawyer they are going to be involved in litigation.

A university president or AD lobbying against the P5 and their exclusionary nature? Not something you would expect and certainly would leave a bad taste in someone's mouth that's on the other side of the face.

The overarching point being that Warde, Susan and Aresco can continue to do their jobs, just don't expect them to do anything that would be in UConn's best interest but potentially come at the expense of theirs.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The overarching point being that Warde, Susan and Aresco can continue to do their jobs, just don't expect them to do anything that would be in UConn's best interest but potentially come at the expense of theirs.

That can be said about Aresco, not so much on Herbst or Manuel. While, in general, it is in the AAC's best interest to keep UConn in the conference and happy, The AAC is not the Big XII and UConn is not the University of Texas. They are not worth more than the other members combined and, as such, Aresco is obligated to weigh the interest of the other 11 schools as well. Yes, UConn is probably worth more individually than any other school in the conference, but if he is able to prop the other 11 institutions at UConn's expense, he will. Plus UConn currently has no other option. Aresco has all the leverage.

OTOH, the actions of President Herbst and AD Manuel are a direct representation/reflection of UConn.

Reaction Score
This is only one person's opinion but I'm going to post it anyway. A friend of mine is in advertising for a major sports network. Last summer he met with Aresco to talk about his vision for the AAC and how they may be able to work together. My friend was thoroughly unimpressed with Aresco's leadership qualities and his vision for the conference and if he were UConn's AD he'd be looking for the door ASAP. Yes, I told him no UConn wants out of the AAC! I just thought it was interesting that he was not impressed with Aresco at all.

A week later he met with Val Ackerman, commissioner of the Big East. He thought she was really good and had a lot of great ideas for the conference. He said he'd much rather have her in charge of a conference than Aresco.

My friend has been around the block and I trust his instincts on this one.

Aresco might be a lot of things, but he's also the guy that cut big deals with CBS Sports for a long time. He is getting paid over $1 million (which he probably shouldn't be) after moving on from cutting those deals with CBS.

Reaction Score
That can be said about Aresco, not so much on Herbst or Manuel. While, in general, it is in the AAC's best interest to keep UConn in the conference and happy, The AAC is not the Big XII and UConn is not the University of Texas. They are not worth more than the other members combined and, as such, Aresco is obligated to weigh the interest of the other 11 schools as well. Yes, UConn is probably worth more individually than any other school in the conference, but if he is able to prop the other 11 institutions at UConn's expense, he will. Plus UConn currently has no other option. Aresco has all the leverage.

OTOH, the actions of President Herbst and AD Manuel are a direct representation/reflection of UConn.

I think UConn might actually be worth more than every other member combined.

11 x 2m = 22m a year.

Subtract UConn's 2m from the 22m.

UConn needs to be worth $20m.

Given what we've seen of the dollar rise in SNY's monthly charge (and its move to basic cable) after adding UConn 3rd tier sports, I don't think this is a hard case to make. If Rutgers is worth $40m a year, then UConn is certainly worth at least $20m. And if it's not, it has no hope ever of leaving this conference.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I think UConn might actually be worth more than every other member combined.

11 x 2m = 22m a year.

Subtract UConn's 2m from the 22m.

UConn needs to be worth $20m.

Given what we've seen of the dollar rise in SNY's monthly charge (and its move to basic cable) after adding UConn 3rd tier sports, I don't think this is a hard case to make. If Rutgers is worth $40m a year, then UConn is certainly worth at least $20m. And if it's not, it has no hope ever of leaving this conference.
In terms of athletics, Rutgers hit the proverbial lottery. They are the Clampetts among the blue bloods in Beverly Hills. The family can't hold a conversation at the block party, but their house is in the right neighborhood. They are only worth $40 mil because their location is. However, they are an AAU institution and their endowment approaches $1 Billion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I just want whoever the best coach they can get.

I don't care where they went to school.

That's totally different than making noise about the P-5 cartel. Note I only said Aresco and Warde.

What is good for UConn is bad for Aresco. Seems hard to argue he'd ever have our best interest at heart.

Warde like almost any other professional is going to play both sides of the fence. Nobody with half a brain is going to commit career suicide over something making noise about isn't going to fix.

Reaction Score
How is that example applicable here? If someone is a corporate lawyer they are going to be involved in litigation.

A university president or AD lobbying against the P5 and their exclusionary nature? Not something you would expect and certainly would leave a bad taste in someone's mouth that's on the other side of the face.

In my experience, the vast majority of American professionals and executives get up every morning and do their best at their job, not just for economic advancement but for pride and duty as well. The fact that people here actually believe that they are more invested in the university's athletic program than a President or AD just because, at some point in the future, those people will move to another university is absurd.

You are free to disagree, but that doesn't mean there is anything to disagree about.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
In my experience, the vast majority of American professionals and executives get up every morning and do their best at their job, not just for economic advancement but for pride and duty as well. The fact that people here actually believe that they are more invested in the university's athletic program than a President or AD just because, at some point in the future, those people will move to another university is absurd.

You are free to disagree, but that doesn't mean there is anything to disagree about.

If you want to point out where I said Warde, Susan or Aresco aren't doing their job to the best of their abilities, go ahead.

My point was as it relates to conference realignment is that a) I doubt anything they do or say would mean much and b) even if it did, they wouldn't do it because they need to protect their future in case they want to move on in the future.

I find your comment about "message board posters" to be ridiculous

My family is from CT, my parents, family and myself all went to UConn. UConn plays a big part in our lives.

To Herbst and Manuel, it's a salary, just like any other job that me or you work at. Your loyalty to that job extends about as far as your last paycheck.

So, yes, I can unequivocally say, I'm more invested into the academic and athletic success than someone who may skip town when the next best offer comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom