Are you following Marisa's team? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Are you following Marisa's team?

Reaction Score
I certainly think Marisa would and should be in the conversation - I think she has a Geno-like charisma that is very valuable for college head coaches. And I think she has coaching talent.

Berube was very content at Tufts while she raised her family, but her move up to Princeton signaled she was ready to face greater professional challenges. If she does well at Princeton, I could see her being targeted for P5 openings as was Banghart.

I like Shea and Jen and Jamelle, just not sure they will be the next coach.

I think any transition is still years away. I think CD might stay on a 'special assistant' for a few years if asked by someone she knows to help maintain recruiting and continuity.
I would be happy with Carla. She knows the game and never second guesses herself. She has ice water in those veins of hers. The only question mark is recruiting at the Div. 1 level.
I can see Shea getting the job and might have already been talked about with Geno on her interest for it. After Ollie the school might consider a different way of hiring. She has earned a shot and IMO would do a great job.
I can see CD taking it for 3-5 years or more. Who deserves it more than CD!
The last option would be Sue Bird! No HC experience but she was/is the Coach on the floor at UConn and now with Seattle and USA Basketball! The Best Point Guard of All Time would have no problem transitioning to be Head Coach for Connecticut! IMO she could have an easy track with recruiting just because who she is. Harper is doing real well and Kara will have Duke back in the Top 10 before to long and both were PGs.
I do have a favorite but it's to early to say because Geno isn't ready to retire yet.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The recruiting is a huge piece of the puzzle for any HC and it is really hard to judge anyone on that skill that hasn't been a HC. Being a great recruiter as an assistant is not the same thing because the 'closer' is always the HC.

It is similar to judging coaching ability - working as an assistant is being down in the weeds and implementing someone else's vision. Having that vision and putting together the staff to implement it is a totally different proposition.

You just have to look around at all sports and at all levels to see that choosing a great head coach requires a bit of magic - the success rates are miserable!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If Shea wants the UConn HC job eventually, the best thing she can do for herself is to get an HC gig as soon as possible, and then be highly successful in that role. Carla and Marisa have established themselves as successful head coaches, while Jamelle and Jen have failed to do so -- and in my opinion they should be scratched from the candidate list for that reason.

The track record of lifelong assistants stepping into HC roles and being successful is unimpressive. Holly Warlick is the most conspicuous example of that, but several other Summitt assistants have been similarly unsuccessful at other schools. Niele Ivey does not seem to be setting the world on fire at Notre Dame, nor has Joe Tartamella at St. John's replicated his predecessor's success.

By contrast, Megan Duffy has been very successful at Marquette after a short but successful stint as HC at Miami of Ohio.

Despite all of the above, I still favor Sue Bird as Geno's successor, based on her knowledge of pro basketball at all levels (which would be attractive to recruits who aspire to a pro career), and her unmatched name recognition among recruits.

Reaction Score
Agree that Marissa and perhaps Berube (depending upon ambition) have to be in the the running.

Interesting how little we really know about Shea...She rarely gives interviews, post-games, even appearances on Geno shows...seems to guard her privacy with intensity.

We can only judge by guard play...she is certainly a serious customer (too much so?) always seems concerned (worried)...not a particular varied personality...that's not necessarily a positive trait.

Before we all line up behind her, wouldn't it be better if we got to know her a bit more?
C'mon, can't you be a little more judgmental. My gosh!! Have you ever been around Shea? Seen her with the players, other than during games? I doubt it. Maybe take your own advice and "get to know her a bit more" before saying she's too serious, worried, not a varied personality.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
C'mon, can't you be a little more judgmental. My gosh!! Have you ever been around Shea? Seen her with the players, other than during games? I doubt it. Maybe take your own advice and "get to know her a bit more" before saying she's too serious, worried, not a varied personality.

That's my point...not being judgmental at all...just having surprisingly little information. A head coach is a public figure. Somehow, Marissa became more available in this respect. But since Shea rarely speaks in public, all you have is what you can observe and that's not much.

if one does want to go out on a critical limb and start a controversy (most possibly not correct); one can make the observation that
Cheryl Reeve coached Crystal up better than the UConn staff...other explanations...natural growth, maturity. some people are ready to maximize their talents at different times...etc, etc.

On one hand there is all of UConn's success and generally outstanding guard play...on the other, a woman for whom we know precious little, considering...although I must make note of the slew of videos and human interest stories that anticipated the the game we played against her husband's team...helped some.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I would be happy with Carla. She knows the game and never second guesses herself. She has ice water in those veins of hers. The only question mark is recruiting at the Div. 1 level.
I can see Shea getting the job and might have already been talked about with Geno on her interest for it. After Ollie the school might consider a different way of hiring. She has earned a shot and IMO would do a great job.
The last option would be Sue Bird! No HC experience but she was/is the Coach on the floor at UConn and now with Seattle and USA Basketball! The Best Point Guard of All Time would have no problem transitioning to be Head Coach for Connecticut! IMO she could have an easy track with recruiting just because who she is. Harper is doing real well and Kara will have Duke back in the Top 10 before to long and both were PGs.
I do have a favorite but it's to early to say because Geno isn't ready to retire yet.
Harper had how many head coaching jobs before Tennessee, not successful at all of them. Kara has coached how many seasons?

Reaction Score

Long-time assistant coaches who take over for coaching legends don't seem to fair well. I should think that CD would retire at the same time as Coach Geno. She could only go down, or stay the same. If she wanted to be a head coach, she would have left to do it years ago. She has been masterful as the brilliant assistant coach that helped everything go, who was the go-to coach for kids who thought they couldn't go to Coach Geno, and the nuts and bolts coach who supplemented the head coach on technical issues.

Taking over as the HC would be a "no win" for CD. Best to ride into the sunset, or perhaps, the broadcast booth and pick up the big ESPN bucks!!!

Reaction Score
When Geno retires, it will be Shea. If something happens and Shea doesn't want it, the next up would be Jen Rizzotti or Carla Berube. It would have to be a former player since I don't know anyone outside the program in their right mind that would take it on.
I think Geno will have something to say about who follows him and just because someone is loyal and has been around him a long time doesn't mean they're the right choice.
UConn will need someone who can manage a program, not just recruit and be familiar with what worked for Geno. My money goes on Carla Berube, or someone like her, who has built a winning program and sustained it over a number of years. No one hit wonders need apply.

Reaction Score
That's my point...not being judgmental at all...just having surprisingly little information. A head coach is a public figure. Somehow, Marissa became more available in this respect. But since Shea rarely speaks in public, all you have is what you can observe and that's not much.

if one does want to go out on a critical limb and start a controversy (most possibly not correct); one can make the observation that
Cheryl Reeve coached Crystal up better than the UConn staff...other explanations...natural growth, maturity. some people are ready to maximize their talents at different times...etc, etc.

On one hand there is all of UConn's success and generally outstanding guard play...on the other, a woman for whom we know precious little, considering...although I must make note of the slew of videos and human interest stories that anticipated the the game we played against her husband's team...helped some.
Well you’re certainly entitled to your opinion of coaches. My point is that suggesting she’s too serious, worried and has a particular personality that is not a positive trait is a judgment based on very little information. I don’t think that’s fair. You said we can only judge by guard play, fine, judge the guard play. Commenting on a coach by the team they put on the floor or things they say or do in public is fair game. And if you want to say that you prefer someone a little more open to interviews and appearances, that’s fine too. I’m just not a fan of judgments based on what we really don’t know.

I actually clicked on this topic to make a comment about the analyst on the Boston U. game and saw all this mess about who will be the next coach at UConn and evaluating the possibilities. I guess more people are looking forward to the day Geno retires than I thought.

Reaction Score
Long-time assistant coaches who take over for coaching legends don't seem to fair well. I should think that CD would retire at the same time as Coach Geno. She could only go down, or stay the same. If she wanted to be a head coach, she would have left to do it years ago. She has been masterful as the brilliant assistant coach that helped everything go, who was the go-to coach for kids who thought they couldn't go to Coach Geno, and the nuts and bolts coach who supplemented the head coach on technical issues.

Taking over as the HC would be a "no win" for CD. Best to ride into the sunset, or perhaps, the broadcast booth and pick up the big ESPN bucks!!!
Guess we will see this weekend how well she does.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How many HCing jobs did Geno have.
Geno came to a bottom dwelling program in a mid-major. He built this program from nothing. He was the second choice but the first choice wanted a few more dollars than him, so he underbid and got the job. Heck, his first contract was written on a Dunkin Donuts napkin!

Reaction Score
Geno came to a bottom dwelling program in a mid-major. He built this program from nothing. He was the second choice but the first choice wanted a few more dollars than him, so he underbid and got the job. Heck, his first contract was written on a Dunkin Donuts napkin!
Thanks I knew this. I answered someone who thinks you have to be a HC to succeed.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
How many HCing jobs did Geno have.
I was basically responding to this, "Kara will have Duke back in the Top 10 before to long". Geno was a least an assistant at a top program. If some had said 36 years ago Geno will have UConn a top program in a couple years, I probably would have had the same reaction, based on what.

Reaction Score
I was basically responding to this, "Kara will have Duke back in the Top 10 before to long". Geno was a least an assistant at a top program. If some had said 36 years ago Geno will have UConn a top program in a couple years, I probably would have had the same reaction, based on what.
Kara is an intense person and a former PG. She will do well with recruiting and has coached USA Basketball. Former Asst. Coach for the Boston Celtics.

Reaction Score
Harper had how many head coaching jobs before Tennessee, not successful at all of them. Kara has coached how many seasons?
Kelly Harper has brought 3 different teams to the NCAA Tournament as a Coach. Won 3 as a player.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Kelly Harper has brought 3 different teams to the NCAA Tournament as a Coach. Won 3 as a player.
Harper was how good at NC State? As I answered my main point was Kara.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Kara is an intense person and a former PG. She will do well with recruiting and has coached USA Basketball. Former Asst. Coach for the Boston Celtics.
1 year as an NBA assistant, shortened year at that. Nothing about USA basketball coaching in the bio I read. Yes she was an intense player, good commentator. Anything else is a guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom