Are you following Marisa's team? | The Boneyard

Are you following Marisa's team?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Way too soon to make any comments. How about if she wins the conference regularly, you know and then wins a game or two in the NCAAT. Then we might have a discussion...

Reaction Score
What am I missing? It seems clear to me at least, that Shea should and almost surely will take over when Geno retires. Shea has faithfully stayed and helped Geno with this program and undoubtedly knows more about Geno’s methods than anyone. Assuming she wants the job, I would be absolutely shocked if she were not the choice! Every time I see people promoting Diana, Sue, I just can’t believe it! They have zero coaching experience and you’re going to hand them the reins of the greatest program ever? Now I do have some sympathy for supporters of the assistants who moved on to HC positions (and were very successful) but even then it just would seem (to me) just a total betrayal if anyone but Shea were offered the job. She deserves first shot! Imo

Reaction Score
What am I missing? It seems clear to me at least, that Shea should and almost surely will take over when Geno retires. Shea has faithfully stayed and helped Geno with this program and undoubtedly knows more about Geno’s methods than anyone. Assuming she wants the job, I would be absolutely shocked if she were not the choice! Every time I see people promoting Diana, Sue, I just can’t believe it! They have zero coaching experience and you’re going to hand them the reins of the greatest program ever? Now I do have some sympathy for supporters of the assistants who moved on to HC positions (and were very successful) but even then it just would seem (to me) just a total betrayal if anyone but Shea were offered the job. She deserves first shot! Imo
Are we assuming that Geno and Chris will retire at the same time?

Reaction Score
Yes. I am. Been a fan of Coach Marisa since she was here in Minnesota coaching on the Golden Gophers (07-09 range) coaching staff. Great person and a solid coach. If she is part of the conversation. Cool. If not. Cool. I love what she is doing for that Boston U WBB program.

Reaction Score
Loyalty, knowledge of methods, experience - sure, all important but at the end of the day, the ability to recruit will likely win out. Geno is one of the most perceptive judges of character and skills and likely knows who will continue to keep UConn Women's Basketball #1.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
When Geno retires, it will be Shea. If something happens and Shea doesn't want it, the next up would be Jen Rizzotti or Carla Berube. It would have to be a former player since I don't know anyone outside the program in their right mind that would take it on.

HGN

Reaction Score
Is anyone following Marisa's BU team? 12-2... Hmm. I think she may deserve to be part of the succession conversation. What say you?
DEpup, I say yes , Marisa should be part of the conversation. Along with Shea , Jennifer Rizotti , and Jamelle Elliott. I would have included CD , and she would be the logical choice , but I think she will leave when Geno leaves. If she wants to stay the job is her's.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
FWIW, I recall in one of the "Geno Auriemma" shows spotlighting the coaching staff, Geno said in terms of personality, he was much more similar to Marissa than to CD or Shea. In particular, their sense of humor and what they find funny is very similar and they would go off on tangents which baffled Shea and CD

Reaction Score
My guess, and hope, is Barube. I would also be happy with Jamelle.

I would be very surprised, and disappointed, if 1) the UConn administration let Geno choose his own successor (and also surprised if he even wanted to) - very bad business practice; and 2) if they chose a coach (like Shea) with no head coaching experience anywhere.

Reaction Score
Good job, but they're 12-2 because of the regional Patriot schedule.
They've played Holy Cross 5 times (4-1) and Army 4 times (3-1).

Should be the favorite in the final against Lehigh.
Yes, her squad went the entire year without facing the other top teams in the Patriot League, Bucknell and Lehigh. And then Bucknell had a six-week covid shutdown followed by a loss to Lehigh where two of their starters were in covid recovery mode. Boston U should win the final.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Follow BU??

Season 4 No GIF

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
When Geno retires, it will be Shea. If something happens and Shea doesn't want it, the next up would be Jen Rizzotti or Carla Berube. It would have to be a former player since I don't know anyone outside the program in their right mind that would take it on.
Jen Rizzotti would be way, way to risky. Her record as a head coach is not so hot. When Geno retires I don't think that would be a good look. While I think Berube would be a good choice, I'm not sold that she wants the job.

Reaction Score
The riskiest and most difficult coaching job in any sport may be following a legend. Near impossible to meet the expectations and endure the non-stop second guessing (look how much Geno gets for goodness sake). Perhaps the best is following the coach who followed the legend. Has to make any potential successor think real hard.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I certainly think Marisa would and should be in the conversation - I think she has a Geno-like charisma that is very valuable for college head coaches. And I think she has coaching talent.

Berube was very content at Tufts while she raised her family, but her move up to Princeton signaled she was ready to face greater professional challenges. If she does well at Princeton, I could see her being targeted for P5 openings as was Banghart.

I like Shea and Jen and Jamelle, just not sure they will be the next coach.

I think any transition is still years away. I think CD might stay on a 'special assistant' for a few years if asked by someone she knows to help maintain recruiting and continuity.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I certainly think Marisa would and should be in the conversation - I think she has a Geno-like charisma that is very valuable for college head coaches. And I think she has coaching talent.

Berube was very content at Tufts while she raised her family, but her move up to Princeton signaled she was ready to face greater professional challenges. If she does well at Princeton, I could see her being targeted for P5 openings as was Banghart.

I like Shea and Jen and Jamelle, just not sure they will be the next coach.

I think any transition is still years away. I think CD might stay on a 'special assistant' for a few years if asked by someone she knows to help maintain recruiting and continuity.
Agree that Marissa and perhaps Berube (depending upon ambition) have to be in the the running.

Interesting how little we really know about Shea...She rarely gives interviews, post-games, even appearances on Geno shows...seems to guard her privacy with intensity.

We can only judge by guard play...she is certainly a serious customer (too much so?) always seems concerned (worried)...not a particular varied personality...that's not necessarily a positive trait.

Before we all line up behind her, wouldn't it be better if we got to know her a bit more?

Reaction Score
Agree. We don't even know if Shea even desires to be a head coach. I tend to think not or she would have already flew the coupe by now. She comes off to me as a fundamentals player development interested coach. But what do I know...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom