Are we recruiting Canada enough? | The Boneyard

Are we recruiting Canada enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seems like there is an untapped well of talent up there in the great white north, particularly among the private schools in Quebec. I am hoping Edsall has a plan to canvas this sector in the future, and build out our concentric circles even further from our axis. I think this could add a ton of value to our future recruiting classes.

Reaction Score
A lot less recruiting competition up there I am sure. And I would not shy away from francophone players either. My alma mater, Clarkson University, recruits both anglophone and francophone players for both their hockey teams and ski teams. Sometimes language is a bit of a barrier, but in the end they all do fine. In fact, some of them star academically.

Reaction Score
There are no private schools in Quebec. The Provincial government is funding all schools. Even the Catholic.

what you want to explore - CEGEPs. After high school, they have a Prep year /vocational year ... 12th grade & maybe more. The BEST Football programs were in Montreal ... but the talent is across the top league of CEGEP.

Reaction Score
Perfect areas for hockey. Football stick to Midwest fla ga and texas

Reaction Score

there are Metropolitan areas - 3.5m Montreal & 7m Toronto with athletes - that have ratcheted up Football skills & training in the last 15 years. The Youth watch the NFL (far more than CFL). They don’t have athletic scholarships in Canada. This is a bountiful harvest to find advanced sizable line & skilled athletes. Unlike Florida, where everybody goes, UCONN has a solid history & comparative advantage in recruiting & graduating beyond other FBS

plus they’re parents can make the home games by driving.

Reaction Score
So we want UConn to fence in the northern "northeast" of the North American continent? I suppose that can work but Big Ten schools would pick up on it soon, as well.

One thing that would obviously go a long way is reestablishing a larger game day crowd. Edsall only further demoralized the fanbase in regards to attending games wity horrible football. Have to wonder if he could have rebuilt differently with more competitive games.

Reaction Score

completely disagree in regards to this program. Have already discussed quite a bit to concentrate recruiting - but Canada can be a very good pipeline. Arguable the best running back in college football, Chuba Hubbard is from Canada and there are several big time impact players (including Chase Claypool, WR Notre Dame, Neville Gallimore, DT Oklahoma) and solid starters.

Reaction Score
So we want UConn to fence in the northern "northeast" of the North American continent? I suppose that can work but Big Ten schools would pick up on it soon, as well.

One thing that would obviously go a long way is reestablishing a larger game day crowd. Edsall only further demoralized the fanbase in regards to attending games wity horrible football. Have to wonder if he could have rebuilt differently with more competitive games.
They need to pack the place like the Walter Camp's Eli's back in the day right Butch?

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn should hold camps in Montreal, Quebec City and Toronto. We could become Canada’s team. If we make a Husky logo with a Fleur de lis that could really make some INROADS-BRANDING.

Reaction Score
There are no private schools in Quebec. The Provincial government is funding all schools. Even the Catholic.

what you want to explore - CEGEPs. After high school, they have a Prep year /vocational year ... 12th grade & maybe more. The BEST Football programs were in Montreal ... but the talent is across the top league of CEGEP.
Wrong across the board. Get some facts and come back and see us, Pudge.

Reaction Score
Maybe UConn should hold camps in Montreal, Quebec City and Toronto. We could become Canada’s team. If we make a Husky logo with a Fleur de lis that could really make some INROADS-BRANDING.

now you are talking. In all seriousness we seem to have good contacts in Canada. And we have had some great huskies from up north. Stop actively recruiting the west coast and Texas and spend some of that money on continuing to recruit Canada.

Reaction Score
We can also save money. The American Dollar is stronger than the Canadian Loon. More bang for our buck. Also Corey's thick beard and husky frame should really do wonders with the rough and burly population of our neighbors up north!

Reaction Score
Wrong across the board. Get some facts and come back and see us, Pudge.
Pudge is correct, although there are "private schools" in Quebec. But, the "private schools" in Quebec are heavily subsidized by the government so the cost is very low. I think annual tuition is capped at a relatively affordable level. Thus, although they are listed as "private schools", they really are publicly subsidized schools. Private schools are not subsidized by the government in the rest of Canada.

Reaction Score
Pudge is correct, although there are "private schools" in Quebec. But, the "private schools" in Quebec are heavily subsidized by the government so the cost is very low. I think annual tuition is capped at a relatively affordable level. Thus, although they are listed as "private schools", they really are publicly subsidized schools. Private schools are not subsidized by the government in the rest of Canada.

Are we recruiting them though? This wasn’t a deep dive into how the Province of Quebec finances education.

Reaction Score
Over the years we have had some good players from Canada. I think Moe Petrus was one. We also had a receiver and a dlineman I think but can’t recall exactly who they were. Obviously Jack Z is from Canada and we have s few other kids next year. There is no reason not to recruit Canadians. And I suspect many are not rated by the services In some ways it makes sense for Edsall.

Reaction Score
Are we recruiting them though? This wasn’t a deep dive into how the Province of Quebec finances education.
So, UConn has had about 18 players from Canada over the past 15 years, so bringing in 1 to 2 kids per year. mostly from Quebec. The players seem to be mostly DL and OL, but that is changing recently.

Are we recruiting Canada enough? There are players, but it doesn't seem to be as fertile as a state like NJ, although you could argue the kids are there, but just need to be developed. I think you can grab big athletic kids for the OL. For example, Fresno St. has 2 Canadian OL and 1 Canadian DL. The OL kids are RFr 6'5" 348 lbs. and RSo 6'6" 324 who starts. The DL is a RFr 6'3" 285 lbs and is a backup.

Apparently, there are ~41 Canadian kids playing FBS football (13 P5) in the US. Of the P5 kids, 5 are starters and 4 are 2nd string. That's pretty good as some of the 13 are freshmen. Almost half of the Canadian FBS players are OL and DL. Here are the schools with the most Canadians:

Buffalo: 6
Syracuse: 4
UConn: 4
Fresno St.: 3
San Diego St.: 3
Pitt: 2
UMass: 2
Eastern Michigan: 2

Reaction Score
We can also save money. The American Dollar is stronger than the Canadian Loon. More bang for our buck. Also Corey's thick beard and husky frame should really do wonders with the rough and burly population of our neighbors up north!
Haha. Corey's optimistic tweets about beautiful sunrises on Horse Barn Hill have pretty much disappeared. Even he is losing faith on Raising The Bar.

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if there are not a lot of Catholic HS's in Quebec. I have no data, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom