Are we now knocking extra effort? | The Boneyard

Are we now knocking extra effort?

Reaction Score
I have seen a bunch of opinions on here saying Rosa should have just gone down on the 3rd and long play that he ended up fumbling on. The kid never goes down the first hit and ALWAYS fights for every yard. Are you the same people that used to complain because Mensah seemed to always go down on the first hit? I love Rosa's effort and I hope he never stops trying to get every inch he can get. The fumbles will stop, I hope the effort does not. He is a true freshman and is being asked to do way more than anyone thought he would do. Keep giving 100% Victor!

Reaction Score
I have seen a bunch of opinions on here saying Rosa should have just gone down on the 3rd and long play that he ended up fumbling on. The kid never goes down the first hit and ALWAYS fights for every yard. Are you the same people that used to complain because Mensah seemed to always go down on the first hit? I love Rosa's effort and I hope he never stops trying to get every inch he can get. The fumbles will stop, I hope the effort does not. He is a true freshman and is being asked to do way more than anyone thought he would do. Keep giving 100% Victor!
Understand your position and love the effort, but you can’t fumble there. It’s as simple as that.

Reaction Score

No amount of extra effort was getting him a first down, which means the priority is not to fumble. If we wanted a first down, we would have run a less safe play. It’s not about effort — the young man plays damn hard. But it is about situational awareness — time, down, score and what that makes your priorities.

Reaction Score
No amount of extra effort was getting him a first down, which means the priority is not to fumble. If we wanted a first down, we would have run a less safe play. It’s not about effort — the young man plays damn hard. But it is about situational awareness — time, down, score and what that makes your priorities.
Agree about knowing that he can't fumble there. He has to learn to secure the ball better, and I'm sure he will, hopefully soon.

Reaction Score
Those guys covered it. You need to know the situation. No different from a receiver stopping a yard short of the 1st down marker or a quarterback not throwing into the cheap seats when everyone is covered but throwing to a guy who is double covered. Or Joly taking s 2 yard loss and turning it into -11. You need to know what the situation is and play accordingly. Even if you’re from Bristol, you need to make smart plays. And are subject to criticism if you don’t just like a guy from NY or Georgia would be.

Reaction Score
Rosa had his back to the line to gain when he was popped. It is never a good thing for a RB when in this position. The old saying "you have to know when your journey has come to an end" is appropriate here. Victor will learn. He is a great asset to our team. Next time both arms covering the ball and let the D win it.

Reaction Score
This team has a lot of heart and a very strong brotherhood. They are so young and have so little experience at this level, they only know how to go 100%. As they start to know the game and what each play is meant to accomplish, the small things that us old farts have learned by playing and watching football for 30,40,50 years will become automatic to them and we won't have to have these friendly conversations any longer. We are all friends here and rooting for the same thing. Let's destroy BC!!!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The truth is ball protection is much more important than extra effort.

Reaction Score
I get all the points but I don't think he should complicate things by trying to lay off the throttle.

HCJM: “They’re running backs, man, you’ve got to run. You got 11 people trying to hit you on every play. I think the minute you start talking to players about protecting themselves, you put that little bug in their ear, that little seed in their mind – you cannot play this game at anything less than full speed, 100% aggression, you have to be violent, you have to go after people,” Mora said. “That’s the only way you can play. If you start curling up in a ball trying to protect yourself, then you get hurt. So we’re gonna try to play with as much violence, aggression and passion as we can.”

Reaction Score
Agree 110%! Sooner or later he will break one.

Reaction Score
Agreed 100%, but with that being the case, maybe the ball should have been handed to the GS Burns there and not a true freshmen. That is partially on the staff, especially when they readily acknowledge he is a freshmen being handed a ton of responsibility and because of that he will make mistakes.

Reaction Score
Fighting for an extra yard when it's 3rd and 25 and you are at the line of scrimmage isn't smart.

Even Walter Payton said there are times when I am just looking for a soft spot to land. Rosa had zero situational awareness and it was a huge step toward losing the game.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Agreed 100%, but with that being the case, maybe the ball should have been handed to the GS Burns there and not a true freshmen. That is partially on the staff, especially when they readily acknowledge he is a freshmen being handed a ton of responsibility and because of that he will make mistakes.
If you are all in for this season and this season only, absolutely. When you are building for this year and especially the next few years, you have to let the young guys figure it out. He has been pretty good with ball protection this year, it is a learning lesson for the future starting with BC

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Freshman mistake. He'll learn. He is a great player and we are lucky to have him on the team.

Rosa seems to make a lot of those. Issues on kick returns as well. Is what it is, but he will need to get better or will find himself on the bench as depth improves.

Reaction Score
If you are all in for this season and this season only, absolutely. When you are building for this year and especially the next few years, you have to let the young guys figure it out. He has been pretty good with ball protection this year, it is a learning lesson for the future starting with BC
I'd take 4-4 over a ball security lesson anytime. A better overall record at the end of the year helps not only getting into a possible bowl game, but with recruits as well. The other team wide lesson is learning how to finish teams off and win.

Reaction Score

Well, yes, but the best way for the young guys to figure it out is before they make game costing mistakes, not when they make them.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Well, yes, but the best way for the young guys to figure it out is before they make game costing mistakes, not when they make them.
If life were so easy. Experience is the best teacher. He won't do that again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom