Are We Better Than Iona? | The Boneyard

Are We Better Than Iona?

Reaction Score
Because they’re winning the MAAC title game and going to their 4th NCAA tourney in a row. they are 16-15 and 12-6 in their league. We on the other hand are in the elite AAC scratching our way to a 9th seed. Do they play football? Because maybe we can be elite there. All league problems solved, right?

Reaction Score
The Hawkeyes have always been a middling team. Though they've had great players like Jeff Horner or that other guy, the highlight for them was taking away a middling coach from a Jesuit school that owned all the media rights around Cleveland Circle. Granted, they beat us once or twice over the years, but by and large, I can't recall any signature moments from them basketball-wise. Still they do have a decent football team and they like to paint the visiting locker room pink for some reason. But oh well, what can you do?

Reaction Score
Sarcastic? Not many at-large teams from the MAAC. I'll take my chances in the AAC with the belief will be good enough in next couple years to warrant an at-large at least.

Reaction Score
Ej Crawford averages 18.0 ppg. He is from Hartford (Played at Simsbury/All State/St. Thomas More). Played in the Pro AM every game this summer. Shooter. Shooter.

UConn would be favored on a neutral court over Iona -7 'ish.

Reaction Score
Sarcastic? Not many at-large teams from the MAAC. I'll take my chances in the AAC with the belief will be good enough in next couple years to warrant an at-large at least.
Yup. Sarcasm. But they are going 4 years in a row. We know this tourney is not about the best 68 teams or whatever.

Reaction Score
Ej Crawford averages 18.0 ppg. He is from Hartford (Played at Simsbury/All State/St. Thomas More). Played in the Pro AM every game this summer. Shooter. Shooter.
EJ's dad had no love for Calhoun, probably because UConn never recruited him back in the day and he ended up playing at UHart. No way EJ was coming to UConn.

Reaction Score
Yup. Sarcasm. But they are going 4 years in a row. We know this tourney is not about the best 68 teams or whatever.
How many tourney games have they won the past 3 years?

Reaction Score
Because they’re winning the MAAC title game and going to their 4th NCAA tourney in a row. they are 16-15 and 12-6 in their league. We on the other hand are in the elite AAC scratching our way to a 9th seed. Do they play football? Because maybe we can be elite there. All league problems solved, right?

Definitely a 16-seed and could lose in the play in the game.

Reaction Score
Siena and Monmouth weird league Championship. I mean Siena is 17-15 and 12-6 league, neither impressive yet they were #1 seed in tourney. Monmouth 14-19 or something 10-8 league. Seemed to be an off year for the MAAC anyway.
I found the Northeastern and Charleston game a fun watch but fell asleep who won that?

Reaction Score
Ask Sam Cassell Jr.

I think this is a perfect response. Facts are Sam Jr was able to play in that league after proving the AAC was too fast for his abilities. There's a major difference in players from top to bottom. Always some good players in their league but not many that could play major roles in even the AAC.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Not even sure what this post is about. More griping about our league? Suggesting we go to MAC or NBE? The American is about to put at least 4 teams in the NCAA in a year when Wichita State and UConn aren't two of them, and Memphis probably isn't either. That's 3 of the 4 teams with the most historic success.

Our problems are largely self-inflicted. Changes have occurred and more changes will come. We will be back. The league isn't holding us down, and will likely be better than the Big East in another couple of years, if it isn't right now.

Reaction Score
We're probably better than Iona, but we would have finished 4th at best in the OVC. let that sink in.

Reaction Score
With Ollie on the bench, Iona would be a struggle. I don' know why. But Kevin had real problems getting his team to play well against inferior opponents. Maybe someday an answer will come out. How did Ollie fall off a cliff as a coach? Go from the penthouse to the outhouse in a blink?

Hurley beats Iona.

Reaction Score
I think this is a perfect response. Facts are Sam Jr was able to play in that league after proving the AAC was too fast for his abilities. There's a major difference in players from top to bottom. Always some good players in their league but not many that could play major roles in even the AAC.
Northeastern won in an absolute barn burner. A horrific call could have cost them the game. Shawn Occeus who was banged up all year had his best game of the season scoring 17 pts for NE. Tonights game vs. Hofstra is great mid major hoops as both teams sit close in KP rank with NE @ 82/Hofsta @ 87. The teams split this year and Wright-Foreman had 42 last night for Hofstra. This game on paper is as close to a coin flip as you could have.

Reaction Score
I've never liked "automatic" entries....let the best 68 play...no matter what conference.

They don't know the 68 best teams and never will. Too complicated, too much chaos in the season and the system. That is why you have to include champions. To give teams that the "experts" are biased against a chance.

Last year, clearly Virginia was not as good as the experts thought they were. The seeding has never been 100% correct in the history of the NC2A. The auto bids address tha bias. Besides if you can't make the 40+ best at large teams, you have no right to complain.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
The MAAC Championship game is consistently one of the worst games of champ week

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member